Will Canon Release R5 in Compact Body?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I don't think so. not even 5% chance.

THE compact FF R body is the R8. If Canon had thought of making anything more compact it would have been done in the R8.

The R5 line (as well as the R6 line) is a workhorse camera for a lot of pros. And their need is functionality and ergonomics over small size.

Your idea would be nice, especially when thinking about travel photographs.
But IMO it is not realistic.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'd love to see an Sony A7C or Nikon Z30 style body with an RF mount. I would very much like to see a FF sensor in such a camera, but I suspect Canon will make such a formfactor APS-C only.

The ideal outcome would be Canon making an Z30 style R20 with a FF sensor and an R21 with the same body, but with an APC-S sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I'd love to see an Sony A7C or Nikon Z30 style body with an RF mount. I would very much like to see a FF sensor in such a camera, but I suspect Canon will make such a formfactor APS-C only.

The ideal outcome would be Canon making an Z30 style R20 with a FF sensor and an R21 with the same body, but with an APC-S sensor.
A really nice idea. But if such a camera ever becomes reality, I'd guess that it'll have a feature spec of R8 or less, but not an R5 spec.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A really nice idea. But if such a camera ever becomes reality, I'd guess that it'll have a feature spec of R8 or less, but not an R5 spec.
I firmly believe that the current generation of Canon IBIS cradles takes up an additional 5-10mm of thickness. I also think that Canon will always include IBIS in their more "serious" models. Those two things combined would push any compact model into a lower spec tier.

But we can dream of a compact body with an R3 or R5 sensor :) If we dream intensely enough, maybe Canon will produce it!

Upvote 0