Will Sigma make a tele "S" lens as good as its "A" lens (35 1.4) is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigma's first shot with the new A, S, and C lenses has been widely acclaimed as being as good or frankly better than the Big manufacturers' equivalent offerings. It was an Art lens in their new terms. What will the next "letter lens" be?

I wonder how good their first Sport lens will be, and what it will be. They could really score a hit with a high quality 300 or 400 lens at f/2.8 if it were top quality and priced lower than the big boys. Maybe it is safer to stick with making really good primes for the first several releases and not trying to compete in zooms right away.

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
DArora said:
brad-man said:
I believe they are reworking either the 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO or the 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS to the new USB dock system.

They have already announced reworked 120-300mm f/2.8 with USB dock system.

This one is on pre-order at B&H. If the only change is the USB dock then the optics should be very good to excellent based on the reviews I have read.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Another question is will they work on the next Canon DSLR?

Twice now, when Canon updated lenses on their DSLR's, Sigma lenses stopped working because of errors in the way they reverse engineer Canon's lens system. Those that had current production lenses could send them in for a upgrade. It cost me over $100 to upgrade my 105mm macro, but my other 4 lenses could not be upgraded and became paperweights They just gave error 99.

Since then, I've been very reluctant to invest big $$ in Sigma lenses. Its not a savings if they will not work on future cameras.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Mt Spokane Photography said:

Twice now, when Canon updated lenses on their DSLR's, Sigma lenses stopped working because of errors in the way they reverse engineer Canon's lens system. Those that had current production lenses could send them in for a upgrade. It cost me over $100 to upgrade my 105mm macro, but my other 4 lenses could not be upgraded and became paperweights They just gave error 99.

Since then, I've been very reluctant to invest big $$ in Sigma lenses. Its not a savings if they will not work on future cameras.

Hopefully such a circumstance would be overcome with the USB hub. It should be able to update firmware as well as fine tune focusing...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
brad-man said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:

Hopefully such a circumstance would be overcome with the USB hub. It should be able to update firmware as well as fine tune focusing...
I certainly hope so, but you would have to buy that hub, and it only works with certain lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
I am a Sigma fan. But I have to admit, that their latest "delay" of the new version of the 120-300 f/2.8, looks very, very bad on their part. I continue to believe, that it has the potential to be a great lens, especially regarding value for money. But this delay at the last minute, is just very unprofessional. It's also in keeping with all of the negative aspects accrued over the years, of their reputation as a company. If a product is going to be delayed, at least have the honesty to say so the moment you know about it, rather than waiting til the last day of the month that the announcement was supposed to happen.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Yes, it does look better in this particular shot. From this alone, it looks like the Canon has no advantages at all over the Sigma. Whether that's true or not, I don't know for sure. I would certainly buy the Sigma, if I didn't need different lenses and focal lengths at this time. I'm happy with both recent Sigma lenses I bought, but am selling one because I decided to go full frame and no longer like crop cameras.

As for f/1.4 lenses, I think I will sell my Rokinon 85mm at some point. On a full frame, I think I prefer the angle of view of 100mm, so maybe I will try the Canon 100mm f/2. I wish someone would make a 90 or 95mm f/1.4, but preferably f/1.0 or faster. Of course the price would be outrageous, the faster aperture it got. And if it had AF and IS luxuries, it would get even more pricey. I guess I'm the only one who wants something like that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.