Yet Another Post About My Issues With UV Filters by Lensrentals.com

As said the big glass there is no option so you just crack on and take great photos, oddly I use filters on smaller lense but I am often outside in the dust and dirt, I know filters cause me flare issues and degrade sharpness but I choose to fit one, some people seem to think once fitted that's it, but if your taking images where micro sharpness (I say micro as image degradation in my case is minimal with a quality filter) is required then.....wait for it.... you can always unscrew the filte and are it off, I know, I know, it's incredible but they do also unscrew :D

Upvote 0
Good to know people use filters for protection. I see it as a positive when buying lenses off fleabay, you know the gear has been babied.

For me filters are like condoms, no matter how good it is, it will always be there.

Some times you need it, sometimes you don't. But if you always have it on, you never gonna release the full potential.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
scrup said:
Good to know people use filters for protection. I see it as a positive when buying lenses off fleabay, you know the gear has been babied.

This type of statements keeps on surprising me, the weirdest version "if the seller kept the box the lens came in, you know the gear has been babied".

I have a couple of schticks for lens sales:

1. I keep the lenses in a drawer or in the camera bag. The box & polystyrene go the back of a closet the day I buy the lens, and out when I sell it.

2. I always claim to sell the lens to upgrade. It gives buyers the impression I'm using the lens & happy with it, and leads me on to...

3. I have a few UV filters. I screw one on the lens before selling it, and screw them off before handing the lens. If the buyer says something, I say I'm keeping it for the new lens, and have priced the lens w/o filter.

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
I did a test a few years ago with a cheap filter vs. no filter on my 400mm f/5.6 lens after not being happy with the sharpness. It was indeed the filter causing the problem. I have since purchased a better filter and haven't had an issue with sharpness since (beyond my own issues, e.g. shaky hands). I've attached a comparison (I edited out the cheap filter brand name, but it likely applies to most or all cheap filters).

Attachments

• filter vs no filter - 1.jpg
    filter vs no filter - 1.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0