Your Ideal video setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Minnesota Nice

Alright, to start things off, I shoot snowboarding videos and I will be doing longboarding/other stuff like this as the year goes on. My question to you is what are must have lenses/bodies/accessories/other equipment for shooting video?

In an ideal world my setup would be:

7D (I like the burst rate as well because I shoot a lot of sports photography)
16-35mm F/2.8L
8-15mm L fisheye
70-200mm F/2.8 L
Glidecam HD 2000/4000 either one I've used both and they are basically the same.
A Camera Slider
A good Gitzo/Manfrotto/Slik Tripod with a smooth panning head.
Any sort of Shotgun microphone
A few different ND filters

Now, here's what I've got
60D (The articulate screen is actually nicer than I thought it would be)
8mm Rokinon fisheye (Optically excellent and build quality is second to none)
18-55mm kit
55-250mm EF-S
Crappy tripod

I'd like a waterproof housing but I'm going to wait until I upgrade bodies before I make that purchase.

as long as I stay on APS-C, I'm close to my ideal setup:

60D (for me, much much better than 7D because of magic lantern; also, nice to have a swivel screen)
samyang 8mm fisheye
tokina 11-16 f/2.8
depending on budget: tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC or canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS
my very nice set of Leitz vintage primes for Leica-R: 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 90mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8, 180mm f/2.8

if the 5D3 ever comes out and is as nice as I want it to be, I'll have to re-adjust, and then my ideal set of lenses would be:

8-15mm L fisheye (modded samyang 8mm fisheye if money is a concern)
16-35mm f/2.8L (current tokina 11-16 f/2.8 as a 16mm prime if money is a concern)
24-70mm f/2.8L (the 24mm f/2.8 could do, but it's always nice to have an all-round zoom)
70-200mm f/4L IS (because sometimes you just don't have the time to go around changing lenses)
my very nice set of Leitz vintage primes for Leica-R (35, 50, 90, 135, 180)

also: the tripod should have a real fluid head, and it seems like those from Manfrotto are not (even the expensive ones, 501 and above) - my current tripod is a very nice E-Image 7060 and I'm happy with it, but the 7063 would have been nicer, and I'd be curious about the Sachtler ACE - more about cheap-ish video tripods (around $500) here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?266905-500-Tripod-suggestions-for-60d&s=da8975b41dc254ed42b9a3e7d5583a8c

Upvote 0
J

Jedifarce

Minnesota Nice said:
Alright, to start things off, I shoot snowboarding videos and I will be doing longboarding/other stuff like this as the year goes on. My question to you is what are must have lenses/bodies/accessories/other equipment for shooting video?

16-35mm F/2.8L
8-15mm L fisheye
70-200mm F/2.8 L
Glidecam HD 2000/4000 either one I've used both and they are basically the same.
A Camera Slider

18-55mm kit
55-250mm EF-S
Crappy tripod

I'd like a waterproof housing but I'm going to wait until I upgrade bodies before I make that purchase.

I would include a GoPro and Canon HF G10 in the mix.

Upvote 0
M

Minnesota Nice

Jedifarce said:
Minnesota Nice said:

16-35mm F/2.8L
8-15mm L fisheye
70-200mm F/2.8 L
A Camera Slider

18-55mm kit
55-250mm EF-S
Crappy tripod

I would include a GoPro and Canon HF G10 in the mix.

Oh I've got two GoPros, one HD Hero 1080p and the New HD Hero2. I win them every once in awhile at competitions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.