Adobe Reports Record Revenue
By| March 18, 2016
Strong Cloud Product Adoption in Q1 FY2016 Fuels 25 Percent Year-over-year Revenue Growth
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Mar. 17, 2016 — Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) today reported financial results for its first quarter fiscal year 2016 ended Mar. 4, 2016.
First Quarter Financial Highlights
- Adobe achieved record quarterly revenue of $1.38 billion, representing year-over-year growth of 25 percent.
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.50 on a GAAP-basis, and $0.66 on a non-GAAP basis.
- Digital Media segment revenue grew by 33 percent year-over-year to a record $932 million, with Creative revenue growing 44 percent year-over-year to a record $733 million.
- Strong Creative Cloud adoption drove Digital Media Annualized Recurring Revenue (“ARR”) to $3.13 billion exiting the quarter, an increase of $246 million.
- Adobe Marketing Cloud achieved strong bookings growth, and record revenue of $377 million that represents year-over-year growth of 21 percent.
- Year-over-year operating income grew 78 percent and net income grew 200 percent on a GAAP-basis; operating income and net income both grew 48 percent on a non-GAAP basis.
- Cash flow from operations was $498 million, and deferred revenue grew to $1.61 billion.
- The company repurchased approximately 1.5 million shares during the quarter, returning $133 million of cash to stockholders.
A reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP results is provided at the end of this press release and on Adobe’s website.
“Every day, more brands, government agencies and educational institutions globally are choosing to base their digital strategies on Adobe’s content and data platforms,” said Shantanu Narayen, Adobe president and chief executive officer. “Our exceptional performance in Q1 is an indicator of the strong momentum we are seeing across our cloud businesses as we drive the experience economy.”
“We are pleased to report another record quarter with 25 percent year-over-year revenue growth. Strong Cloud adoption drove record Creative and Marketing Cloud revenue in Q1, and better-than-expected Digital Media ARR,” said Mark Garrett, Adobe executive vice president and chief financial officer. “Based on our strong Q1 results and business momentum, we are increasing our annual revenue and earnings targets for the year.”
Adobe to Webcast Earnings Conference Call
Adobe will webcast its first quarter fiscal year 2016 earnings conference call today at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time from its investor relations website: www.adobe.com/ADBE. Earnings documents, including Adobe management’s prepared conference call remarks with slides, financial targets and an investor datasheet are posted to Adobe’s investor relations website in advance of the conference call for reference. A reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP earnings results and financial targets is also provided on the website.
Forward-Looking Statements Disclosure
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including those related to product adoption and innovation, momentum in our cloud businesses, revenue, profit, annualized recurring revenue, bookings, earnings per share and operating cash flow, all of which involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially. Factors that might cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to: failure to develop, market and offer products and services that meet customer requirements, introduction of new products, services and business models by competitors, failure to successfully manage transitions to new business models and markets, risks associated with the timing of revenue recognition, uncertainty in economic conditions and the financial markets, risks associated with an increased emphasis on a cloud strategy, fluctuations in subscription renewal rates, risks associated with cyber-attacks and information security, potential interruptions or delays in hosted services provided by us or third parties, and failure to realize the anticipated benefits of past or future acquisitions. For a discussion of these and other risks and uncertainties, please refer to Adobe’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for our fiscal year 2015 ended Nov. 27, 2015, and Adobe’s Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q issued in fiscal year 2016.
The financial information set forth in this press release reflects estimates based on information available at this time. These amounts could differ from actual reported amounts stated in Adobe’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for our quarter ended Mar. 4, 2016, which Adobe expects to file in Mar. 2016.
Adobe assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update these forward-looking statements.
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. For more information, visitwww.adobe.com.