Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

It will. But when packing for my last trip, I was shoehorning the 11-24 into the bag and strongly considered not bringing it...then considered an upcoming trip where I'll hiking in the Swiss Alps and suddenly the much smaller size and lower weight made a lot of sense. I do still have some pristine 10-stop ND gel pieces, I'll cut one for the RF 10-20/4 and bring it along just in case.

I have the 10-20/4 now, it's amazingly small and light compared to the 11-24/4.

I'm loving the 10-20 f4 lens I just recently got (even though I preordered day 1). For filters, I use Kolari ND filters. They go inside the camera body so I don't have to worry about thread size or shape of the lens. I can leave the filter in and swap lenses.

Now, there aren't any internal CP filters so they don't solve that problem.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm loving the 10-20 f4 lens I just recently got (even though I preordered day 1). For filters, I use Kolari ND filters. They go inside the camera body so I don't have to worry about thread size or shape of the lens. I can leave the filter in and swap lenses.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I have a set of UV/IR front filters from them for my full spectrum M6.

Upvote 0
It is interesting for Sony fans to be on the other foot compared to the R5 overheating scandal.
Canon never promised unlimited 8k record times and ~20 minutes for first recording (slower for subsequent) in first firmware release seemed to be impossible to accept.
Sony promises no reduction in quality but without the asterisks for compared to A9ii at ISO250 etc so it seems to be a broken promise.
The A9iii IQ is probably acceptable in most instances but Sony definitely fluffed their marketing campaign.
that's par for the course with Sony.
You needed to be a lawyer to read their specifications. I haven't checked recently but they always left out important details until after you actually bought the camera and found it buried deep in the manual somewhere. Nikon did a few flubs like that as well. Don't ask me what the items were.. that was back in the day when dpreview forums were the wild west of photography.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I guess the name of the game is to stall and pray. Canon is losing market share in professional camera rental to Sony & Nikon the first time we have seen that since the 1980s mainly through the lack of an R1 but even R5 rentals have dropped. Canon were always the leaders it doesnt feel like that currently.
Thanks for sharing your subjective impression. Now let’s see what the data show from a rental outfit I suspect is quite a bit larger than yours:

As you can see, Sony is really dominating…the bottom half of the top 20. Sony has 6 of those 11-20 top rentals. On the important part of the list, top 3 spots to Canon, and 7 of the top 10. Nary a Nikon to be seen.

So when you talk about ’market share in professional camera rental’, you really don’t have a clue, do you? Except about your tiny piece of the market. It’s like saying ‘the market share on the Isle of Man’ if that’s where you live. Matters to you, irrelevant to the majority of the world.

Or maybe I’m wrong, and you have access to global data on the camera rental market. If so, by all means share your sources. I’m not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting what these bring in terms of performance. R5 II might only be a basic update (eg fix the overheating and a few software updates, same sensor / processor). The R5 is so good it will be hard to do a major improvement. The R1 will be more interesting, it’s not on paper a big upgrade on an R3, it will be interesting if the changes make it a much better tool (better focusing, no overheating, large buffer, pre capture, better tracking). It’s very hard to do better than marginal improvements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Unfortunately, MPB Europe often sells used cameras (oh, sorry, pre-owned ones) at prices higher than discounted new ones.
Their pricing for sought after RF lenses is sometimes as high as for new ones from regular dealers...Sometimes even higher!
And Canon Cashback can often be obtained for brand-new ones...:(
When I looked at prices in Thailand, it was difficult to see any kind of standard pricing. Some shops sell (not necessarily a huge difference) above Canon.th prices, but there are also some impressively lower priced items. However, in these cases, the seller's item was not really a Canon item (for example off brand batteries), or what appears to be used lenses but not expressly identified as such. The thing I was hoping for, I didn't see: "CANNON" or "САИОИ," maybe it's in another country or it doesn't happen so obviously anymore?

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
When the 100-500 dropped substantially in price at the end of last year (including cashback I think?) the price of used ones suspiciously hovered at almost the same level, here in the UK. For <£50 difference on a £2-2.5k item it's goading you into buying new, which seems wrong (but maybe I'm too cynical).
I don't think it's goading as much as the used sellers waiting for the sale to end. Then again, I have been called a Canon apologist.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
When I looked at prices in Thailand, it was difficult to see any kind of standard pricing. Some shops sell (not necessarily a huge difference) above Canon.th prices, but there are also some impressively lower priced items. However, in these cases, the seller's item was not really a Canon item (for example off brand batteries), or what appears to be used lenses but not expressly identified as such. The thing I was hoping for, I didn't see: "CANNON" or "САИОИ," maybe it's in another country or it doesn't happen so obviously anymore?
No matter how cheap used items are: a solid warranty valid where I'm living is a must!
Nobody will honour a Thailandese warranty in Europe, not even Canon for Canon products. Even US bought Canons could mean trouble with European warranty claims.
The only warranty I'd accept for expensive products is an international one.
I once bought Leica R gear in Phenix, some years ago. But these were parts without electronics, so the risk was limited and checking them was straightforward. The price was too good, I just couldn't resist...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I've been usually very satisfied dealing with them in the past. (mostly German subsidiary).
Things seem to have changed, no idea why. A few months ago, I had a warranty issue, which was accepted, by phone and email, after I had sent pictures of the defect.
I even got a written confirmation that I'd either get my money back, or an equivalent replacement. I sent the lens back, and the so-called experts rejected my claim,saying that it was normal the a recognized as excellent lens produced mushy corners...
Long story short: after I had informed them I wanted to contact the CEO, things were promptly settled.
What I nevertheless find really shocking is that they still declare lenses with visible fungus or humidity damage (not an isolated case!) as "excellent". I know from my Leica contacts that Leica does never accept repairs of fungus affected lenses...
I only hope they'll turn back to a normal (their former) behaviour, I strongly suspect these issues are due to an internal reorganization or to an "optimization" of their strategy. To put it differently: so-called cost optimization. We all know what that means, unfortunately...
Unfortunately, I have occasionally seen fungus and moisture In the American website too. I think they are good about identifying it and they do have the photos as well. I think it's only rarely rated as excellent and with lenses that are old and sought-after. They do also lower the price than the same item at and rating without the damage. Here I am again, being a corporate apologist...

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
No matter how cheap used items are: a solid warranty valid where I'm living is a must!
Nobody will honour a Thailandese warranty in Europe, not even Canon for Canon products. Even US bought Canons could mean trouble with European warranty claims.
The only warranty I'd accept for expensive products is an international one.
I once bought Leica R gear in Phenix, some years ago. But these were parts without electronics, so the risk was limited and checking them was straightforward. The price was too good, I just couldn't resist...
Warranties are important.
I probably wouldn't buy anything that wasn't some unusual old design from the 70s or before which wouldn't have a warranty in the states either but I think if I decided to buy a misspelled Canon lens or (I did see this) an RF stm half macro with a red ring, I wouldn't expect it to last and consider it more as a souvenir. Mainly, I just wanted to see how things are different.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Unfortunately, I have occasionally seen fungus and moisture In the American website too. I think they are good about identifying it and they do have the photos as well. I think it's only rarely rated as excellent and with lenses that are old and sought-after. They do also lower the price than the same item at and rating without the damage. Here I am again, being a corporate apologist...
The trouble with fungus is that it usually keeps growing, unless you're living in Death Valley or in the Sahara.
And you end up with a lens that either needs expensive repair, or with having a nice expensive paperweight.
I don't care for a reduced price, I'll never buy such a lens, never!
My main reproach is that they might sell these lenses to naive customers who do not know what they risk, only attracted by a lower price.
This is exactly what a "friend" of mine did, selling a fungus lens to somebody without even informing that person about the damage. Disgusting!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
The trouble with fungus is that it usually keeps growing, unless you're living in Death Valley or in the Sahara.
And you end up with a lens that either needs expensive repair, or with having a nice expensive paperweight.
I don't care for a reduced price, I'll never buy such a lens, never!
My main reproach is that they might sell these lenses to naive customers who do not know what they risk, only attracted by a lower price.
This is exactly what a "friend" of mine did, selling a fungus lens to somebody without even informing that person about the damage. Disgusting!
I have some fungus damaged lenses from one year two hurricanes passed by in a about a month. I am saving these lenses for some reason I don't know why. I have been thinking I will get some tools and see if I can clean it a little bit (not hopeful), but I can likely change the elements placement or flip one to get something unique.
The other reason I keep them is fugus or moisture damaged lenses could be good to give to someone who is very unsure if they will be able to be serious about photography. They could get an early aps-c for under 100, so it won't be a terrible loss when (not if) the fugus migrates to the sensor.
But definitely I think it's not great to sell them...

Upvote 0
that's par for the course with Sony.
You needed to be a lawyer to read their specifications. I haven't checked recently but they always left out important details until after you actually bought the camera and found it buried deep in the manual somewhere. Nikon did a few flubs like that as well. Don't ask me what the items were.. that was back in the day when dpreview forums were the wild west of photography.
Canon also doesn’t specify that the bit depth of the r5 drops to 13bit in efcs and 12 bit in e-shutter . It is on a website somewhere but strange that it is not mentioned in the advanced user guide.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Maybe I'm the only photographer that wants to isolate my subject. I guess the rest of you want everything in focus? I shoot wide open all the time. This is an uncropped image, shot at 1.2 on the 50mm. I'm not across the room, I'm just up a couple of steps shooting down. But I shoot much closer than this sometimes too. I don't care about the background people in most cases.
Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to get even closer. If your willing to part with them money, there's always the ef 50mm 1.0 too...

Upvote 0