June 23, 2017, 06:40:59 AM

Author Topic: Magenta Cast B&W Prints PRO-100 Redux  (Read 1143 times)

Ed V

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Ed Vatza
Magenta Cast B&W Prints PRO-100 Redux
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
I pulled my original post on this topic after speaking to Canon and getting more info on the subject.

The problem basically stated is that I see a slight but noticeable magenta cast on my B&W prints made with the Canon PRO-100. Actually it is difficult to see when looking at the print in isolation but is clearly visible when the print from the PRO-100 is put next to one from my Epson 3800 or P-6000. I know... different printers, different drivers, etc.

I had a very good conversation with a tech from Canon and we discussed a number of factors which ended up focusing on the papers I have tried. Canon papers seem to work well but I can't do what I want with Canon papers (4x6 borderless WITH the ability to print on the back - I want to create photo postcards). I have ordered some double-sided Red River Pecos River Gloss Duo for this project which I hope will work. It is just a question of whether I go with the PRO-100 (my preferred printer for this job) or the 3800.

In the meantime, I have tried printing the photos on papers I have on hand such as Epson Premium Glossy and Red River Arctic Polar Satin. Both produce prints with the magenta cast. The tech said Epson papers are notorious for a cast because they are designed specifically for pigment-based inks and Epson printers and the PRO-100 being dye-based has problems printing on Epson papers.

He also said he has never heard of any problems with Red River papers which they (RR) say is optimized for both dye- and pigment-based inks. But I see a cast on my RR APS.

So my questions:

Have any of you with a PRO-100 noticed a cast on your prints - particularly B&W?

Have you found differences in cast based on different papers?

If so, what papers seem to work best (minimized cast) with the Pro-100?

If you made it this far through the ramble, I thank you. Any info would be helpful.

Ed
I am a photographer. I simply seek to record life as it is. That is all I do. It is what I am.

5DMkIII - Rokinon 12mm Fisheye - Canon 28mm - Canon 35mm L - Canon 40mm Pancake - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 50mm L - Canon 85mm - Canon 135mm L & EOS M5 - 22mm - 15-45mm

canon rumors FORUM

Magenta Cast B&W Prints PRO-100 Redux
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Magenta Cast B&W Prints PRO-100 Redux
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »
Hi Ed,

In tried to post to your last thread but it disappeared.

This link will probably help: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pixma-pro-100-printer-review/#profiling
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Ed V

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Ed Vatza
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:14 AM »
Hi Ed,

In tried to post to your last thread but it disappeared.

This link will probably help: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pixma-pro-100-printer-review/#profiling

Sorry about that. After talking to Canon, my questions changed. So I pulled the original post to start over.

Thanks for the reference. I read through it and see that the cast is not uniquely my problem. I had tried tinkering with settings a while back (like a year ago) and basically gave up. I quit printing from Print Studio Pro and went back to printing from Lightroom which is where I print from with my Epsons.

Anyway, I went back to PSP after reading the review and have been doing some more tinkering. I think I am getting close. I am using the Epson print as my standard. I thought I had it last evening but when I checked again this morning, I was still off. So I made more changes. Looks good for now but we'll see after the "paint dries".

Again thanks for the reference.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:40:57 AM by Ed V »
I am a photographer. I simply seek to record life as it is. That is all I do. It is what I am.

5DMkIII - Rokinon 12mm Fisheye - Canon 28mm - Canon 35mm L - Canon 40mm Pancake - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 50mm L - Canon 85mm - Canon 135mm L & EOS M5 - 22mm - 15-45mm

Ed V

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Ed Vatza
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Okay I quit. I must have tried at least 25 different combinations. I can reduce the magenta cast but I can't eliminate it. So no black and white on the PRO-100. Just not worth the aggravation. I'll stick with the Epson 3800 or P-6000.

Based on my experience as well as what I have read, I would stay away from the PRO-100 if you do black & white prints.

Ed

YuengLinger

• 5DSR
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »
Okay I quit. I must have tried at least 25 different combinations. I can reduce the magenta cast but I can't eliminate it. So no black and white on the PRO-100. Just not worth the aggravation. I'll stick with the Epson 3800 or P-6000.

Based on my experience as well as what I have read, I would stay away from the PRO-100 if you do black & white prints.

Ed

Ha!  You are NOT alone.  Exactly why I went with an Epson 3880 almost four years ago and couldn't be happier still today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »