EF50 f1.8II @ 1.8, 1/60, ISO 4000. It was very dark so manual focus only!
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
I finally made the jump to big glass. I shoot autoracing each weekend and had been using cheaper alternatives to get me the reach beyond my 70-200 I needed. I was wondering what tips &/or suggestions current users would have. I used the lens back in Vegas when CPS was in town and loved it. Is there any other accessories I should buy along with the lens?Congrats! You're going to love it! The items I would suggest, in order are:
1. The 1.4x III and 2x III extenders, if you don't have them already
2. A decent monopod, again, if you don't have one already
3. The RRS or other brand replacement foot, assuming you're using Arca-Swiss clamps, which is great because the foot slides right into the clamp
3. The 52mm drop in CPL - it will help cut down on windshield/windscreen glare, helps a lot in harsh light, slows the shutter speed down like a ND filter for panning shots
4. A smaller carrying bag. The suitcase gets a little old/big and I went for a cheap ($40) Ape Case ACPROLC18 Professional Large Lens Case to carry my lens to my shooting locations
I bought and returned the LensCoat for the lens. I just didn't like it. It felt bulky and there are plastic "windows" that cover all of the controls. You can cut them out, but for $80 or 90, I didn't think that was something that should be necessary. Others swear by them, I just didn't care for it. I kept the LensCap, which is a cheap neoprene and hard plastic lens hood. It's MUCH cheaper to replace than the $200 Canon cap! Also, don't lose/break the hood, it's $400!
I might be forgetting other items, but those are what I use. The drop in filter holder and some good ND gel might also be good for motorsports to really slow down the shot for panning, but I haven't used that personally.
Wow, lovely shot, a face only a mother could love!
EmuGreat shot. Look on his face is fantastic!
That shot is great on so many levels.......
Menace...I was scrolling down the screen looking at all the great bird images when I found this guy looking me straight in the eye! Great shot, thanks for posting it.
I saved it for my iPad lock screen...here's a screen grab. Hope you don't mind.
EmuVery nicely captured.