Canon Patent Application: Ultra Wide Zooms

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Is stretching the corners and full electronic control the future? I am a bit concerned for longevity of such lenses. We have vintage lenses from 60 years ago that still can work well on current cameras because optics are solid and is mechanically coupled. What about these electronic lenses with digital stretching, especially when the control algorithm is proprietary?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is stretching the corners and full electronic control the future? I am a bit concerned for longevity of such lenses. We have vintage lenses from 60 years ago that still can work well on current cameras because optics are solid and is mechanically coupled. What about these electronic lenses with digital stretching, especially when the control algorithm is proprietary?

you can always fix the image in post. full electronic control though is a much harder thing to work around. But I've seen some people adapt Contax electronic mount lenses to EF .. so there's always a way.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If it’s same length but internal zoom will be a upgrade
Where do you read internal zoom?
I read
Lens length 154.50 144.35 145.20
So the lens formula differs by about 1 cm, depending on FL.
Will interesting if and how this can be implemented as internal zoom.

And if so, the lens will be about 1 cm larger, than the old one.

Edit: I did also check the other two formulae. They have less differing lengths, still several mm.
So no constant length, and no fully internal zoom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Where do you read internal zoom?
I read

So the lens formula differs by about 1 cm, depending on FL.
Will interesting if and how this can be implemented as internal zoom.

And if so, the lens will be about 1 cm larger, than the old one.

Edit: I did also check the other two formulae. They have less differing lengths, still several mm.
So no constant length, and no fully internal zoom.
It could be like the EF17-40L, that pretends to be internal zooming, but the front element moves a few mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0