November 28, 2014, 03:51:31 PM

Author Topic: Canon Protective Filter Question  (Read 5461 times)

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
Canon Protective Filter Question
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
I just purchased the EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 lenses and I'm looking to get protective filters for them. I've been reading quite a bit regarding lens filters as, at least for my budget, I have invested quite a bit of money in my new lenses.  The recommendations always come back to B+W and Hoya.  I have found very little in regards to the protective filters made by Canon (or OEM'd - Canon product support said they made them, but not sure if they consider OEMing "making" them), or rather, any filter made by Canon.   Are there any online reviews I can see, or has someone done a comparison between Canon and other brands?   I like to research before I buy and I figure that a Canon product would work best on a Canon product, but it concerns me that most people are purchasing other brands.  What can I say, I over analyze but I'd rather buy right and buy once and not have shoppers remorse.   Any guidance or information on Canon filters is appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:27:41 AM by wsmith96 »
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Protective Filter Question
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Canon Protective Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
I just purchased the EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 lenses and I'm looking to get some protective filters for them. I've been reading quite a bit regarding lens filters as, at least for my budget, I have invested quite a bit of money in my new lenses.  The recommendations always come back to pretty much B+W and Hoya.  I have found very little in regards to the protective filters made by canon (or OEM'd - canon product support said they made them, but not sure if they consider OEMing "making" them), or rather, any filter made by Canon.   Are there any online reviews I can see, or has someone done a comparison between canon and other brands?   I like to research before I buy and I figure that a canon product would work best on a a canon product, but it concerns me that most people are purchasing other brands.  What can I say, I over analyze but I'd rather buy right and buy once and not have shoppers remorse.   Any guidance or information on Canon filtes is appreciated.

I Use B&W MRC UV filter on all my L Primes. They're awesome. No IQ loss what so ever.

I used a Hoya once and I didn't like the IQ hit I took from it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »
Canon filters were, at some point, OEM'd by Tiffen. Not sure if that is still the case, but the quality of B+W filters is well known, and well-established.   I see no point in getting an expensive lens that delivers great optical quality, and then trying to skimp by putting a cheap filter in front of it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
You'll be happy and satisfied with the B+W filters - worth the investment for your new lenses IMHO.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
They are cheap.  I don't know of anyone who has tested them for distortion, but I doubt if they cause any big issues.  I've had a couple for several years, but don't use them, prefering B&W or Heliopan instead.
Canon certainly has plenty of glass expertise, the question is, do they use any of it in the filters or just rebrand tiffen?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
This test is probably the only scientific test of UV filters I've seen. In short, B+W filters are expensive but worth it, and steer clear of Tiffen. No Canon-branded ones in the test, but if Canon is just re-badged Tiffen, well there's your answer...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
This test is probably the only scientific test of UV filters I've seen. In short, B+W filters are expensive but worth it, and steer clear of Tiffen. No Canon-branded ones in the test, but if Canon is just re-badged Tiffen, well there's your answer...

I agree with most of what has been said. I use B&W MRC clear filters on all my
L glass. This is my favourite article on high grade vs cheap filters. It's fun AND to the point:
<http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters>
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
The Canon filters I have are just plain glass, no UV.  UV is not needed for digital.  However, a non reflective coating is needed, and thats where flare reduction likely happens.
I avoid the use of filters unless I'm in a dust storm, and then, I usually don't bother to use my camera.

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »
Sadly, Canon doesn't make filters to compliment and preserve the IQ of their lenses -- maybe because they don't make their own filters.  I have a Canon UV filter and found it quite disappointing.

B+W has a great reputation, but I don't have any and can't comment.

I do have several Hoya's.  Hoya HMC doesn't seem to work as well on digital as it did with film.  Hoya Pro1 is good and doesn't appear to adversely affect the IQ.   Hoya HD is their best filter for image quality, shatter resistance, and ease of cleaning.  The Hoya HD is the only Hoya that I recommend and I do so highly.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot G16, S100

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I only use B+W MRC filters.  They are superior to Canon and a filter is necessary to complete the weather sealing on L lenses.  They are not cheap, but you want the best when you shoot through it all of the time.  I also recommend a screw in metal lens cap.  I always buy my filters from Adorama and at the same time order their Adorama brand lens cap.  I do not recommend the B+W slim filter as it is not threaded for additional filters and requires a slip on lens cap which I guarantee you will lose toot suite.
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:29 PM »
I just purchased the EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 lenses and I'm looking to get some protective filters for them. I've been reading quite a bit regarding lens filters as, at least for my budget, I have invested quite a bit of money in my new lenses.  The recommendations always come back to pretty much B+W and Hoya.  I have found very little in regards to the protective filters made by canon (or OEM'd - canon product support said they made them, but not sure if they consider OEMing "making" them), or rather, any filter made by Canon.   Are there any online reviews I can see, or has someone done a comparison between canon and other brands?   I like to research before I buy and I figure that a canon product would work best on a a canon product, but it concerns me that most people are purchasing other brands.  What can I say, I over analyze but I'd rather buy right and buy once and not have shoppers remorse.   Any guidance or information on Canon filters is appreciated.

B+W makes the best filters, lenstip tested almost all the filters on the market and proved this beyond a doubt. B+W uses some of the most advanced coatings in the world, better than Canon's own technology.

Canon's filters are outsourced garbage designed to cash in. Just get a B+W.

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:55:22 AM »
-1 for B&W

The first B&W filter I purchased got stuck to my 35mm f/1.4L and I had to pry it off...never again.  I'm sticking to Hoya HD filters.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 02:53:56 AM »
-1 for B&W

The first B&W filter I purchased got stuck to my 35mm f/1.4L and I had to pry it off...never again.  I'm sticking to Hoya HD filters.

Filters occasionally get stuck. A filter wrench is indispensable for that if it happens. Not over tightening the filter when installing goes a long way too.  I use the solid brass B&W's and generally don't have a binding issue...but that can happen with any filter, regardless of brand.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 02:53:56 AM »

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:07:28 AM »
A surprise to me is the popularity of using a protective filters in general.

I can see a need for one in very dusty (or sandy) places or when testing the weather sealing in pouring rain (don't actually get it why weather sealed Canon lenses need the filter for "completing" the seal in the first place though).

I might have a protective 77mm filter tucked away somewhere (came with an used lens), but I instantly screwed it off when I got it. Fingerprints on the lens, no problem cleaning them for me and I always use a lens hood when shooting.

Surely use them if you feel the need, but I've never got the point of adding a clear glass in front of my lenses other than in very specific situations.

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:06 AM »
Filters occasionally get stuck. A filter wrench is indispensable for that if it happens. Not over tightening the filter when installing goes a long way too.  I use the solid brass B&W's and generally don't have a binding issue...but that can happen with any filter, regardless of brand.
I had a filter stick for the first time a few months ago and looking around the house for what to use a cheap plastic jar opener did the job perfectly on a 77mm filter. Agree it can happen with any filter eventually, in this case was a lens I'd only had a UV on for years and only noticed when I went to fit an ND.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:06 AM »