November 27, 2014, 11:21:34 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Minimum Shutter Speed Setting- Lets make some noise!  (Read 10763 times)

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.

The 5DIII currently has a minimum shutter speed setting that you can register to prevent your shutter speed from dropping below a specific shutter speed.

Currently that shutter speed maxes out at 1/250th of a second. 

This, in my opinion renders Auto-ISO fairly useless for shooters like myself who shoot frequently with 300mm and 600mm.  This is not nearly a fast enough shutter speed for long lenses nor is it a fast enough shutter speed to freeze any sort of actions (sports, wildlife, birds in flight, planes etc...)

I do believe that canon listens to their customers (as is seen with the latest firmware update on the 1DX allowing for f8 autofucs) so for those of us in the community who have a 5DIII and would like to see this "min fast shutter speed" increased... lets make some noise.

I believe that the minimum fastest shutter speed setting should be much faster.  At least through 1/2000 sec, but why not the entire range through 1/8000.  Also the increments should be in 1/3 stop not just 1 full stop.

I emailed canon about this today as this feature is my only real complaint on this excellent camera.  Canon emailed me back very warmly and the representative suggested that I keep watching for future firmware updates which may address this issue.

So: Write to canon or call, or post here that we would like to see 1/3 stop increments of minimum shutter speed registration all the way though the range that the shutter can handle.

Thanks and happy shooting!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Minimum Shutter Speed Setting- Lets make some noise!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
Canon would say, "Buy a 1D X, and you can set a minimum shutter speed from 30 s to 1/4000 s."
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
Canon would say, "Buy a 1D X, and you can set a minimum shutter speed from 30 s to 1/4000 s."

I think that's a bit cynical.  They added the feature to set a min shutter speed to the 5D, why not make that feature useable? Previous 5D models did not have this feature.  Besides there are many "real" reasons to buy a 1DX over the 5DIII, as I am sure you are aware considering you have one. 

My 1DIV can use the expanded range, but only in 1 Stop increments which handicaps it in the 1D bodies (not sure about the increments in the 1DX)  For example:  If you are shooting eagles that are fishing a min shutter speed of 1/1250 or 1/1600 sec is ideal. The 1DIV settings were in 1 stop increments so you had 1/1000 or 1/2000 sec to work with.  The former being too slow to stop the action, the latter being a compromise in ISO.

If you are going to include a feature, I think it should be usable.  It's not that big of a deal... I just shoot with a manual ISO setting.  Would it be nice to improve this feature? Yes.  Is it a deal breaker? No.  Its not a monumental request, just a little tweak in the firmware.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
I would like it to be a multiple of the focal length...

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
Canon won't give you the feature because you are not paying 6K for it.  Go to ask Alex @ Magic Lantern forum put the feature to the hacked firmware.  That may be a faster way.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
I think that's a bit cynical.

Clearly, you know me well...   ;)

FWIW, the shutter speed range on the 1D X is 1-stop increments, not 1/3.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »
I actually wrote to Canon in November 2010 to request a more expanded feature similar to this for the 5D Mark III.  They didn't implement it how I described however.  My suggestion was to have a settable min and max range for shutter speed, aperture and ISO speed.  That way you can selectively constrain the auto exposure while still allowing for some automatic metering to occur.  I agree that the 5D3 limitation of 1/250s for the minimum shutter speed setting is quite limiting.  With the idea I envisioned it would have allowed the full range of shutter speeds and apertures to be selected, much like how the Auto ISO speed range selector works currently.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:30:40 PM by jabbott »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
For what it's worth, here is the letter I wrote to Canon back in November 2010:

I would like suggest an idea for the 5D Mark III and other future EOS Digital SLR cameras.  It would be very nice to have the ability to be able to select a minimum and maximum range of shutter speeds, apertures or ISO speeds and have the camera automatically use those ranges as constraints for auto exposure calculation.  Right now it is possible to force a single aperture via Av or a single shutter speed via Tv, but this is insufficient for situations where lighting changes rapidly (at a rock concert for example).  The feature I am describing would be similar to Auto ISO except it would apply to shutter speed and aperture as well, and the range should be able to be set absolutely ("1/60s to 1/100s" for example) or flexibly ("1/60s or faster" for example).  To be truly useful, all three should be settable together in a single shooting mode, enabling the user to set one or multiple ranges.  Settings that are not selected would stay on "auto".  This feature would provide a new level of customization that takes advantage of the camera's automatic exposure calculation while constraining it to exactly what the user needs.  This feature would also be useful for people who want to maximize the sharpness of their lens, as they could limit the range of apertures to those which maximize sharpness and keep the ISO speed within their desired range.  This would be a good mode to combine with Safety Shift in the event that the settings were insufficient to achieve auto exposure.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this idea.  I believe it should eventually be incorporated into all EOS Digital SLR cameras as it would provide greater control over the creative process and allow for better pictures.  It would provide an even greater competitive advantage for both Canon and its users.

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
For what it's worth, here is the letter I wrote to Canon back in November

Thanks for sharing. This is the letter I finally wrote to canon. Emailed today:

"There is a setting on the camera for minimum shutter speed.  This parameter is very useful when shooting Auto ISO as it allows the minimum shutter speed to be fast enough to stop action with the subject you are shooting.  My 1D Mark IV had this.  The fastest minimum shutter speed you can set on the 5DIII is 1/250 second.  This is way to slow for us action/wildlife photographers.  This prevents me from shooing with Auto ISO entirely.  The minimum fastest shutter speed should be allowed anywhere in the shutter speed range right up to 1/8000 of a second, and the options should be in 1/3 stop increments.  It would be great to see canon respond to this and update the software in the next firmware update.  There are thousands of photographers, myself included who would benefit from this and who have vented frustration on this programming.  (This is a feature that nikon users have enjoyed for years now, specifically that they can adjust minimum fastest shutter speed in 1/3 stop increments.  Even the previous 1D bodies from canon only allowed full stop increments) Thanks for listening and thank you for providing a wonderful product.  The 5DIII is hands down the finest camera I have ever had the pleasure to shoot with!!!"

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
yes I would like to see a couple more...FAST options there... 1/1000  and 1/3000 at least

I could then have a C1 - Aperture mode ...setting with 'auto'
[ NOTE:  AUTO NEEDS a multiplier 1,2,3 x ... based on lens length - IMO ]

and another C2 - Aperture mode setting with...say 1/125th (like a min setting)
and then a much faster one ...C3 - with say 1/2000... or so

this would gives some quick spots ON THE DIAL to respond to different situations..
it would make Auto ISO   -AND-   C1-C2-C3 positions very very useful....

cant see much trouble to do that one..

include it when you add the 1DX red focus indicator to our 5DIIIs....that is sooo needed - IMO
yay!
(and f8 if possible)

thankyouverymuch

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:26:16 PM by TommyLee »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
Or, they might point out that you can set shutter speed in Manual along with aperture and let auto ISO take care of the exposure.  Its hardly a big deal.  That way, you get that high shutter speed and just the aperture you want.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »

[ NOTE:  AUTO NEEDS a multiplier 1,2,3 x ... based on lens length - IMO ]
+1000
Exactly what I said...
Until then I guess it is M mode for now...

(and f8 if possible)
+1000 again!

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »
Or, they might point out that you can set shutter speed in Manual along with aperture and let auto ISO take care of the exposure.  Its hardly a big deal.  That way, you get that high shutter speed and just the aperture you want.
The problem then, is, you can't set EC in M mode with auto ISO. If you could, there would be no need for a min shutter speed in Av mode.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »

And we would respond you must be kidding, NOBODY pays $3500 and more just to get a working AutoISO (while also getting saddled with a brick of a camera), you've failed in your plans there a little, but your customer base does become increasingly edgy as release after release your marketing team cripples the dumbest little things when even the lowest end from any other brand has had such things fully working for years. Dribbling out AutoISO over more than decade and now it seems 15 years until it works below 1 series is absurd.

And Canon would respond we don't give, get lost loser (what we internally refer to as our customer base).  ;D

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 03:09:43 AM »
There is a lack of in-between min shutter speeds to select from, in the auto ISO mode. For instance, there's no 1/160th. I hope Canon will fill up those gaps in the min shutter speed selection.

But it will be better if the min shutter speed can be set automatically as a multiple of the lens focal length.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 03:09:43 AM »