August 30, 2014, 04:26:53 PM

Author Topic: Iconic photographs  (Read 5068 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Iconic photographs
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
As we all compare and complain about sensors, about softness of our lenses at the corners, about color accuracy, dynamic range and that pesky high ISO noise; I realized that a lot of iconic pictures were taken with more basic equipment, with a lot more blemishes and lot less detail…yet with a lot more staying power.  A photograph is more than just high resolution or that mark II lens we stuff our bags with. Sorry pixel peepers, I know the pics  I include are low res pulled off the net...but I am sure they are more recognizable than the ones we are all waiting to take with that future 1DX mark IV and that yet to arrive 24-70mm Mark VIII.   The gear we have now is awesome be it Nikon or Canon… so just enjoy the shooting! P.S.  This is just my short-lived reflective moment… I am sure soon I will be back to drooling over that 420MP Hassy they will be making in 2025. ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:42:02 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

Iconic photographs
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Iconic photographs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »
Perhaps cuz back in that time there wasnt equipment available like today. Anyway we all know a good photo doesnt necessarily have to be sharp as hell and technically perfect. But its just the times we live in :) Times are really busy nowadays and mainly cuz of the internet we live in some kind of "highspeed information age". I think this information overload causes people to get caught up in things like megapixels, AF points, FPS, Lens resolution etc. instead of just looking at a picture and listening to their own feelings wether they like it or not.

Plus the technology also develops so fast! Film didnt develop so much like the digital world i think. Even when u use an old Canon T90 for example you will get good results. But on the other hand using a DSLR like the EOS D30 (3,1 MP) simply wont give you what u need anymore by a high chance.

Yes the internet is awesome, its good to have informations but i also think many people just know TOO MUCH!

Long ago you just didnt know much more than what goes on in ur own town and u were born there and probably married a girl from there and then died there. But it also gave some kind of security and you didnt have to worry so much.
Nowadays i sometimes catch myself worrying about wars, political crises in the middle east, financial security in my own country worrying if i will ever be able to afford an L lens, worrying about my job future, worrying if the food i eat is healthy, worrying if my camera is still enough for me, worrying, worrying, worrying....

I think yall will understand what i mean. Basically i think the camera rant just has to do with the fact we live in insecure times and familie bonds have a lower importance in many places than they had e.g. 30 years ago. Things that gave security just broke away. There are way more psychic problems diagnosed today as well. Things go more extreme ("adult movies", sports, body modification and so on) to compensate.
Ok im starting to get off topic :)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:29:45 AM by sandymandy »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
I think yall will understand what i mean. Basically i think the camera rant just has to do with the fact we live in insecure times and familie bonds have a lower importance in many places than they had e.g. 30 years ago. Things that gave security just broke away. There are way more psychic problems diagnosed today as well. Things go more extreme ("adult movies", sports, body modification and so on) to compensate.

Yes, I agree... some of it manifests itself in us waiting perpetually for the "next best thing" ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:54:52 PM by Ray2021 »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Did these shots become "iconic" straight away or did they only become iconic after a period of time, allowing themselves to sink into the collective consciousness?

Give it 50yrs and all the newsworthy shots of today will become just as iconic and our grandchildren will say, "hey they only had 20mp 2-D cameras back then but they still managed to get great shots!".

A great shot is a great shot whenever, wherever and however it was taken. Speaking of which I just picked up my copy Steve McCurry's book "The Iconic Photographs" a couple of hours ago and haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
A great shot is a great shot whenever, wherever and however it was taken. Speaking of which I just picked up my copy Steve McCurry's book "The Iconic Photographs" a couple of hours ago and haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

I am not sure I like the price on the limited edition! Yikes!
http://news.dphotographer.co.uk/news/steve-mccurry-the-iconic-photographs/

also found someone keen on documenting the book's unboxing! :)

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2011/07/steve-mccurry-the-iconic-photographs-unboxing/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:12:18 PM by Ray2021 »

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
Ray - yeah the limited edition is pretty expensive. I thought about splashing out on it but then decided against it. Looks a whopper though - much larger than the already-large "standard" edition plus it's signed and you get a print with it too.

Enough internet - must go and take a look at my new purchase!  :D

jfretless

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
Perhaps cuz back in that time there wasnt equipment available like today. Anyway we all know a good photo doesnt necessarily have to be sharp as hell and technically perfect. But its just the times we live in :) Times are really busy nowadays and mainly cuz of the internet we live in some kind of "highspeed information age". I think this information overload causes people to get caught up in things like megapixels, AF points, FPS, Lens resolution etc. instead of just looking at a picture and listening to their own feelings wether they like it or not.

Plus the technology also develops so fast! Film didnt develop so much like the digital world i think. Even when u use an old Canon T90 for example you will get good results. But on the other hand using a DSLR like the EOS D30 (3,1 MP) simply wont give you what u need anymore by a high chance.

Yes the internet is awesome, its good to have informations but i also think many people just know TOO MUCH!

Long ago you just didnt know much more than what goes on in ur own town and u were born there and probably married a girl from there and then died there. But it also gave some kind of security and you didnt have to worry so much.
Nowadays i sometimes catch myself worrying about wars, political crises in the middle east, financial security in my own country worrying if i will ever be able to afford an L lens, worrying about my job future, worrying if the food i eat is healthy, worrying if my camera is still enough for me, worrying, worrying, worrying....

+1

Great post.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »

Image quality in terms of focus, detail, clarity, composure, etc. all play a part in the perception of an image. But, as any artist would acknowledge, they are not all that matters.

I'll suggest for the tendered images here, there are far more important considerations launching them into the "icon" category -- world history, news, celebrity, etc. And the role of media cannot be overlooked. All these images have had widespread audiences.

We are captives of our times, and we use the tools we have to produce the best we can. I'm glad to be here when we have easy availability of extraordinary photographic tools.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
Well, the way I look at it, I + con = icon!

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
And how many iconic photos have we NOT seen because they didn't expose correctly...

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
I've read an article recently about the marine and the lady who are  kissing while celebrations of the victory against the axis. This guy came from nowhere took her in his arms and kissed her. She didn't even know him and was not able to get rid of him because he was too strong.. Sometimes pictures hide reality..
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 04:10:53 AM »
Very good point....except that at least two of your photos were taken with Leicas!  :)
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Very good point....except that at least two of your photos were taken with Leicas!  :)

Yes, Leicas still hold their place. But regardless of the brand, I have always loved that fine "grain" noise look in the background of fast film emulsions (as in the case of the girl's portrait). So much for wanting zero noise... sometimes it adds interest and character to shots. Just my 2 cents. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »