October 01, 2014, 12:22:34 PM

Author Topic: Australias Leafy Sea Dragon  (Read 1301 times)

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Australias Leafy Sea Dragon
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
lb,
I only asked for you to post more photos, not the locations of these wonderful creatures, flora or fauna.  I'm well aware of poachers' deeds.  The better the locations are protected, both by laws or by secrecy, the better they are preserved.
Just as I wrote to Mr Bean, keeping the environment prestine is about what we can do.
My rant is over for now.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
Fantastic shot! Such vibrantly beautiful creaturs.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Otara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
sorry mate but if the locations of theses were known on the internet or any body in the hands of aquarium hunters they would be decimated in weeks, it took me over 4years to locate them and I had been at this location many times, the only way I found them was by them accepting me and this little dragon was hanging around for over 3 hours in very still waters, I was very lucky but I watched this one for over an 3 hours and I had only a mask and flippers on at the time I believe they shy away from the full diving equipment and noise.......

Should explain Im an underwater photographer based in Melbourne - amateur, but done hundreds of dives here and pretty well connected to that community here.

Several locations of these creatures are already well known on the internet, but if it really is close to Melbourne the location probably is a bit more risky as poaching does happen I agree.    There has been the very rare odd juvenile that is found at Flinders pier, but they never seem to last long and the general guess is they've been blown in by a storm.   I have never heard of anyone finding an easily accessible ongoing population in the Melbourne area, let alone over 4 years in recent times, there were reports of them being more common in the 80's.

Ive photographed them several times at Rapid Bay in SA which is one of the well known locations for them.  They can be found down to 50m, although I have seen them there in 5m, so thats some pretty impressive snorkelling photography for 70 years old.   They're  actually very easy to photograph as they're very slow moving, the main issue generally is finding them as they have good camouflage in their habitat and doing it from an interesting angle and background as well. 

Similar to others, some exif data and the full picture would be interesting to see.

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 07:16:31 AM »
Were you shooting at night? It appears there is blue light in the background from what I would assume is a Sola Night Sea? If you could please post a little more on the equipment and technique it would be much appreciated. As someone else mentioned I definitely thought this was an aquarium setting before reading your post. The background definitely lead me in that direction.

With that said very nice shot.

lb

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
sorry mate but if the locations of theses were known on the internet or any body in the hands of aquarium hunters they would be decimated in weeks, it took me over 4years to locate them and I had been at this location many times, the only way I found them was by them accepting me and this little dragon was hanging around for over 3 hours in very still waters, I was very lucky but I watched this one for over an 3 hours and I had only a mask and flippers on at the time I believe they shy away from the full diving equipment and noise.......

Should explain Im an underwater photographer based in Melbourne - amateur, but done hundreds of dives here and pretty well connected to that community here.

Several locations of these creatures are already well known on the internet, but if it really is close to Melbourne the location probably is a bit more risky as poaching does happen I agree.    There has been the very rare odd juvenile that is found at Flinders pier, but they never seem to last long and the general guess is they've been blown in by a storm.   I have never heard of anyone finding an easily accessible ongoing population in the Melbourne area, let alone over 4 years in recent times, there were reports of them being more common in the 80's.

Ive photographed them several times at Rapid Bay in SA which is one of the well known locations for them.  They can be found down to 50m, although I have seen them there in 5m, so thats some pretty impressive snorkelling photography for 70 years old.   They're  actually very easy to photograph as they're very slow moving, the main issue generally is finding them as they have good camouflage in their habitat and doing it from an interesting angle and background as well. 

Similar to others, some exif data and the full picture would be interesting to see.
Hi I'm sorry for not being online much but I would like to see some of your sea dragon images you have taken as you have stated you have photographed them on several occasions, also where I shoot they are not as deep as you suggest, the group I photograph are not usually below 9feet but oly on very calm and still water days, otherwise below 20 feet and too deep for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »