October 22, 2014, 06:06:21 PM

Author Topic: 18-135 IS lens creep because of hood too tight?  (Read 1355 times)

mystic_theory

18-135 IS lens creep because of hood too tight?
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »
Hello,

I bought recently a Canon 18-135mm IS lens with the matching Canon EW 73B hood. To save space in my bag initially I was used to screw in the hood in reverse, so that the petals would lie along the lens. Unfortunately that required an unusual amount of force, so after a few times I gave up, and now I screw it (in the right way) on the the lens only when I have to use it. I noticed later that my lens suffers a lot from creep, and that the inner shaft (pardon me if the technical term is different) is a little loose, meaning that it can move slightly also off axis. It seems obvious to me that lens creep is a consequence of the loose inner shaft.

So, here it comes the question: do you think that I damaged my lens by applying too much torsion with the hood screwing in the wrong way?
Does the loose inner shaft compromise image quality?
If the answer is yes to either of the above, is there something I can do about it, possibly not too expensive?

Any help is highly appreciated! :)

canon rumors FORUM

18-135 IS lens creep because of hood too tight?
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 18-135 IS lens creep because of hood too tight?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
I have previously owned this lens and it has zoom creep anyway. I don't see why you would have to need to put anymore force on the hood than you do when you put it on normally but I don't think you broke it. At least you didn't break it in a way that is making it creep.

The 18-135mm creeps like crazy.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

mystic_theory

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
Thank you for the information: I don't know if I should be happy that my lens creeps naturally. ;)

The hood requires much more torsion if mounted the "wrong" way, I don't know why, but that's the way it is. Anyway, if I get the chance will as a Canon dealer to give me his opinion about. I plan to get the STM version (to take videos with autofocus and for better close ups) as soon as a new crop Canon with a decent sensor comes out. For now I have the 550D, which surprisingly is better in IQ than the 650D: congratulations to Canon for the devolution. >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »