September 17, 2014, 05:43:54 PM

Author Topic: How do you cull your photo's?  (Read 1939 times)

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: How do you cull your photo's?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:28 AM »
I do large previews on my secondary screen in lightroom and delete from them as a first pass. If I can see them being bad in roughly 4x6 they go in the bin. I go through and number them one to five for the ones that are keepers. With the keepers I then usually go through and assign colours depending on what it is. For example for a climbing competition I shot I did one colour for candids, one for action sequences, one for climbing shots, one for venue shots. Any larger amount of shots, i.e. more than a hundred I will put them temporarily on one of my SSD drives to make them load so much quicker. Then when I'm done I transfer to a mechanical back up drive. 

On my slow laptop though I generally use fast stone viewer which is fast to load and only shows you the embedded jpg which is usually good enough. It is also free but not so good for deleting files but much better than windows photo viewer (which isn't very hard but still)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:28 AM »

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »
I don't want to try to open thousands of images in DxO, I think it will crash may PC! 

DxO have been making improvements in their preview speed, but it's still slow and to me, unsuitable for image triage.  No help to you, but I use Apple Aperture for triage before doing RAW conversions in DxO.  Images open fast, it can automatically make 'stacks' of sets of images shot in close temporal proximity (i.e. high speed bursts), there's a loupe tool to check critical focus on a panel of several images, etc.

This may not help the original poster, but it helps me as I'm still learning Aperture, so thank you for posting this information.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
I use Photomechanic to go through the .cr2 files, and then the compare tool in Lightroom to compare similar shots.

Jim
Jim, I do the same, but use PM for my side-by-sides as well.  They have a special "G" as in Greg Gorman key feature that works really well for this.  Esentially you pull up photos and when you find a better copy, you push the G key which makes it the reference photo and then you can keep scrolling and push G again if you find a better shot.  It's a simple but killer feature that saves me lots of time.

Back to the OP, I run through all of my shots in Photomechanic (Zoombrowser before that) and "star" the better shots and delete the obviously bad (blurry, parts cut off, accidental shot of my shoe ;)) photos.  Then I go back and pare those down by selecting the best of each series of similar shots.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
Hi Folks.
Thank you all for your insights, I would love to buy another bit of software to make this task easier, but it is a hobby and as such one that has a limiter in the form of SWMBO. I already have Fast Stone something or other for batch resizing, so I will try their product.
It seems that the methodology is very similar between many of you and as such will be a good place to start from. Following this situation my Christmas wish list contains a couple of larger CF cards to allow me to shot JPEG and raw again. This will likely be my first and last raw only shoot as the lack of JPEG for preview has made this very slow / require faster viewing software. I will also try to limit the number of shots I take, I will find out how that goes at the Goodwood Revival next Sunday. We go to collect money for charity for a couple of hours but that gets us the rest of the day there to enjoy!
The "G" button sounds really useful, especially with the side by side comparison.
Once again thank you to all for your input, it is extremely helpful.

Cheers, Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
This will likely be my first and last raw only shoot as the lack of JPEG for preview has made this very slow / require faster viewing software.

You can enable the jpeg option for little cost (at lest on my cameras) as a jpeg preview for the cr2 is created in any case. If you didn't enable jpeg sidecars you can even simply extract the jpeg previews from the cr2 (see http://www.gdzid.com/QJFC.htm or http://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/cr2 or various others)!

This is one of the reasons why dng raw files are much smaller than cr2: the preview can be discarded. Many image viewer and browsing apps don't use the embedded jpeg previews in the cr2 anyway, so you have to be picky (see above for apps which seem to use it).

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
Hi Folks.
Thank you all for your insights, I would love to buy another bit of software to make this task easier, but it is a hobby and as such one that has a limiter in the form of SWMBO. I already have Fast Stone something or other for batch resizing, so I will try their product.
It seems that the methodology is very similar between many of you and as such will be a good place to start from. Following this situation my Christmas wish list contains a couple of larger CF cards to allow me to shot JPEG and raw again. This will likely be my first and last raw only shoot as the lack of JPEG for preview has made this very slow / require faster viewing software. I will also try to limit the number of shots I take, I will find out how that goes at the Goodwood Revival next Sunday. We go to collect money for charity for a couple of hours but that gets us the rest of the day there to enjoy!
The "G" button sounds really useful, especially with the side by side comparison.
Once again thank you to all for your input, it is extremely helpful.

Cheers, Graham.
Graham, try to use Zoombrowser or if necessary, Imagebrowser.  They are free :-).  I used ZB for 10+ years and years and it served me very well.  IB is its bloated crappy cousin, but it's still free.

Also, Marsu's tip is good, but you still have to wait on the previews to be done by batch.  The tool I like to use  that makes fast work of RAW viewing is the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.  It's only $9.99 US and works really well on Windows.  It integrates right into Windows (file) Explorer and Window Photo Viewer and is very fast at rendering RAW into thumbnails and full-sized previews.  It does it on the fly and doesn't generate any new files, which is nice as well.

I wouldn't recommend RAW+JPEG unless you are shooting a deadline-driven assignment.  You slow down your camera and end up with twice as may files.  It's a mess unless you absolutely need it.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
faststone. left click to view full size for focus check, super fast, free.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »

seattlebirdman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
Another vote for Faststone. I cull through my bird shots and try to delete as many as possible before I import them into Lightroom. If Lightroom had a fast culling mode I would use it but even adding Faststone to the workflow still makes the whole process much faster.

Besisika

• Rebel T5i
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »
I have recently forced myself to be more harsh, in Lightroom I do first pass using arrows and hitting x for garbage, but also using p when I see a good one. My objective is to only keep good usable images, not just images that turn out ok. Anything without a pick, I leave for now, but usually will go back later and erase.

When I shoot portraits, I often take multiple exposures to avoid blinking etc,  so they take longer comparing for the better expression. I will usually keep variations for longer, but I try to eliminate shots that I won't use.

So far I haven't ever wished I'd kept a shot that I had erased earlier, once they are gone, they will be forgotten. My hard drives will soon fill up again anyway, so I'll be looking for more shots to eliminate and every time I go back through my shots I say to myself "shoot less".

Keep only your best is my advice. The only other reason to keep a shot is for memory or historical importance.
I think it is time for me to adopt your harsh but useful approach.
Two years ago, I didn't even know what is a good and what is a bad photo. I think, it is time to begin to trust my judgement.
Thanks for the tip.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »

I just tried that, it's indeed fast with embedded previews but seems to lack the xmp rating option for LR/ACR the commercial programs have?

1. PhotoMechanic for sorting & ranking. It's the #1 choice worldwide of heavy shooting professionals for good reason.
2. The Windows only Breezebrowser Pro while not quite as full featured as PM loads massive folders of .cr2 files even quicker than PM.

Thanks a lot, I didn't even know that there were viewing apps that tightly integrate with the ACR xmp system (I was using XnView so far)! Looking at the speed of these, I am going to switch rating from LR since rendering is so slow on my laptop.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

I just tried that, it's indeed fast with embedded previews but seems to lack the xmp rating option for LR/ACR the commercial programs have?

1. PhotoMechanic for sorting & ranking. It's the #1 choice worldwide of heavy shooting professionals for good reason.
2. The Windows only Breezebrowser Pro while not quite as full featured as PM loads massive folders of .cr2 files even quicker than PM.

Thanks a lot, I didn't even know that there were viewing apps that tightly integrate with the ACR xmp system (I was using XnView so far)! Looking at the speed of these, I am going to switch rating from LR since rendering is so slow on my laptop.
The XMP sidecar support from Photomechanic is excellent, and the program has tons of little tools that are really helpful.  Things like time correction, GPS embedding (directly via the tool or imported from a phone/GPS) and removal, batch name & resolution changes (like converting all files to 300dpi for desktop publishing are great to have and the keyword/metadata support is insane.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Hi Folks.
I tried Fast Stone Image Viewer, so far it seems really fast, so much faster than the windows viewer I was trying to use! It is great to be able to do the side by side comparison, and one touch future to screen toggle with full size is excellent. I think this is going to really help speed things up, I haven't RTFM yet and I couldn't find a rating system but what the hey, it is free after all.
I figured it would be good as I have used their photo resizer software and it works well.

Cheers, Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »