Rumors > Lenses

Picking the Best 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens by WOMP

(1/3) > >>

Ellen Schmidtee:
Video is here.

It's video oriented, so the Tamron lens wins by virtue of having a stabilizer.

Marsu42:
Thanks for the link - however, you generally know some review is crap when it talks about "the best" and not "most appropriate for usage scenario xyz" :-p

In this case the criteria are supposed to be: ...
--- Quote ---Elements like the best sharpness, bokeh, vignetting and brightness, and optical stabilization are put into account, and Kevin and John pick their winner.
--- End quote ---
... which ignores the fact that for events and such IS is no good because of motion blur and the small "lock on" time for IS, and in addition to that a faster af is critical in these situations - and the Canon has the clear advantage here.

Disclaimer: I do think Canon needs a kick in the a**, the 24-70Lii is overpriced atm and it's great Tamron released a competitive lens which probably is preferable for many cases (if really need to trade f2.8 for limited zoom range).

Marsu42:
YAAR (yet another amateur review :-)) ... but thanks for the link. He didn't mention the new Canon 24-70/4is btw?

However, you generally know some review is crap when it talks about "the best" and not "most appropriate for usage scenario xyz" :-p In this case the criteria are supposed to be: ...
--- Quote ---Elements like the best sharpness, bokeh, vignetting and brightness, and optical stabilization are put into account, and Kevin and John pick their winner.
--- End quote ---
... which ignores the fact that for events and such (except "posed" shots) IS is no good because of motion blur and the small "lock on" time for IS, and in addition to that a faster af is critical in these situations - and the Canon has the clear advantage here.

Disclaimer: I do think Canon needs a kick in the a**, the 24-70Lii is overpriced atm and it's great Tamron released a competitive lens which probably is preferable for many cases (if you really need to trade f2.8 for limited zoom range).

c-law:
To be fair, he said that it was the best for him and that you should go back to look over their results to see which is best to you.

Chris

Canon 14-24:
For events, wouldn't the focal range of 24-70 mainly be utilized for taking still shots of groups of people posing for a shot with or without flash where IS would be more handy especially in low light/indoor locations? Honestly I would think the percentage of motion/candid/unposed shots at an event where IS would not be needed would be a pretty small in comparison to the overall batch of event shots?

I would think most of the candid shots where motion blur is highly more likely, are people walking up/down stage, mingling at a social event, or a bride walking down the aisle where utilizing a longer telephoto range like between 70-200 would be more suited?

My point that I am trying to address is to all those that can't understand why there should be an IS in this 24-70 focal range. On another note, I did select the Canon 24-70 2.8 II over Tamron because I place a higher value in the overall sharpness/image quality over image stabilization.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version