September 17, 2014, 01:35:33 PM

Author Topic: (DEAD/ STUCK / HOT) Pixels Thread  (Read 7683 times)

fernando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
(DEAD/ STUCK / HOT) Pixels Thread
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
I made this thread because defective pixels is something almost everyone experiences when owning a camera. I wanted to know your stories with this kind of problem. Getting a hot/stuck/dead pixel is almost a given and most people don't even notice them. Is this something you forgive and move on, or take it back and get it replaced for a new one?

I recently bought a 60D and the exact second I turn it on, I saw a red dot on the left side of the screen. At first I thought It was only on the LCD but then I realized It wasn't because I couldn't see it in the menu mode.

I did the Sensor Manual Clean fix and It worked like a charm, the hot pixel disappeared instantly. Now I started using an LCD viewfinder and I spotted a green pixel near the center of the screen. I tried searching for it in my footage but I can't seem to find it. This pixel is different because this one I can see it in the menu screen and in every picture and video in the LCD preview mode.

If I can see it in the menu does it mean It's not on the sensor? and how do you guys deal with your pixel problems.

(sorry for any spelling mistake) :)

canon rumors FORUM

(DEAD/ STUCK / HOT) Pixels Thread
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »

sjaudio

Re: (DEAD/ STUCK / HOT) Pixels Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »
I had a similar problem with my 7D recently (as well as my mother's XSI).  After doing a little bit of hunting online, I came across a solution that appears to have worked.

Take a 30 second exposure with the lens cap on (you'll see any and all dead pixels show up!).  Then run the sensor cleaning for the same amount of time. 

fernando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
I had a similar problem with my 7D recently (as well as my mother's XSI).  After doing a little bit of hunting online, I came across a solution that appears to have worked.

Take a 30 second exposure with the lens cap on (you'll see any and all dead pixels show up!).  Then run the sensor cleaning for the same amount of time.

Yes, this works great most of the time. I did this on my first hot pixel I found on my 60D and after the first try it was gone!

The new one I have won't disappear with this trick, but I actually think it's only on the LCD and not on the sensor like the first one I fixed. This one seems to appear on the menu's and preview mode (unlike the first one). I zoom in the pics and move them all around the LCD and the pixel stays in the same place. That's what makes me think it's only on the LCD unlike the first one.

If anyone knows more than me about this stuff, please fill me in. Stuck pixels on LCD's don't bother me as much as one on the sensor.

fernando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:17:42 AM »
 :(

Eenimon

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 05:55:44 AM »
Hi,
I think there was a trick described in my LCD Monitor's User Manual, like applying pressure to the area and trying to lead some liquid from other pixels to the one which is stuck. You can find similar techniques described here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

sb

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
Guys, some hot/dead pixels are a fact of life, but it shouldn't bother you so much. Every camera sensor will suffer to certain degree (with that many millions of pixels, you're bound to get a few with some leakage), and it's usually only apparent when you have a black or near black background (or you're testing with your lens cap on). I've been regularly experiencing this with all my cameras (5DMk2, 7D, XTi, 40D, etc)

If they get permanently stuck, it's a little more annoying to look at, but I would just create a cloning brush preset in your editing software and batch apply to everything you import.

I know it hurts to realize that the camera which cost so much money could be experiencing such a "fundamental flaw", but I think we've all gotten used to demanding perfection from our equipment, sometimes we forget that we are already pushing boundaries of physics in many ways.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
Guys, some hot/dead pixels are a fact of life, but it shouldn't bother you so much. Every camera sensor will suffer to certain degree (with that many millions of pixels, you're bound to get a few with some leakage), and it's usually only apparent when you have a black or near black background (or you're testing with your lens cap on). I've been regularly experiencing this with all my cameras (5DMk2, 7D, XTi, 40D, etc)

If they get permanently stuck, it's a little more annoying to look at, but I would just create a cloning brush preset in your editing software and batch apply to everything you import.

I know it hurts to realize that the camera which cost so much money could be experiencing such a "fundamental flaw", but I think we've all gotten used to demanding perfection from our equipment, sometimes we forget that we are already pushing boundaries of physics in many ways.

There isn't a digital camera made that does not have or will soon have them.  Editing software evvectively removes them when you apply a little NR.

Occasionally, a camera has some really bad objectional ones.  Canon service can map them out for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »

fernando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:42:46 PM »
I think this is not a huge problem if you're only taking stills, but I just bought my Canon for the video features. It's pretty hard to spot a hot/dead pixel in an 18MP picture unless you blow it up. In video is far more noticeable when you have relatively small resolutions compared to stills.

Maybe this is why it bothers me a bit more than people that only shoot stills. As for now, I'm not that angry since i think it's only on the LCD.

jaetm83

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
Since you recently bought the camera and still have warranty, Canon may be willing to replace the LCD. If I had a dead pixel that glows in green on my LCD, it would definitely annoy me even if I am aware that it will not be visible on the actual image file.

On another topic, I had a stuck pixel in my sensor that used to glow in bright orange in the final image. It was bright enough so that even after some NR/resizing I could still spot it. I was not aware of the intentional heating of the pixels and doing sensor cleaning right after technique. But I had to send my camera in for a lens body focus calibration and asked Canon to take a look. They just electronically remapped all stuck pixels and problems were gone.
EOS 5D Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and EF 135mm f/2L USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »