Gear Talk > Lenses

Missing Lens?

(1/2) > >>

bleephotography:
I am planning a trip to Asia in January, and I'm wondering what lens(es) I may be missing. I am looking for the most versatile combo while also taking a minimalist approach with only one camera bag. I plan to take landscapes, portraits, wildlife, and fast-action shots.

Here's what I have right now:

* 5D III
* 24-70 f/2.8 II
* 70-200 f/2.8 IS II
* 100 f/2.8 IS
* ST-E3-RT
* 2x 600EX-RT
I am considering adding the 1.4x and 2x extenders, but I feel like 24mm won't be wide enough for my preferences. I just returned my second copy of the 16-35 II (due to lackluster sharpness), so that lens is out of the question.

What would be the best UWA for versatility and sharpness: the 14 f/2.8 II or 17 f/4 TS-E?
I understand there is a learning curve for tilt-shifts, but I also hear they are unrivaled in sharpness. As much as I'd love to keep the 16-35 for filtering with an ND, I think I'd be much happier overall with one of the other two. Any thoughts? Any suggestions for other equipment? This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance!

neuroanatomist:
Skip the 1.4x, just get the 2xIII. Bringing a tripod?  If so, the TS-E is amazing. If not, get the 14L II.

Random Orbits:
TS-E 17, especially if you're planning on shooting architecture/historic sites.  Using it with Live View is the way to go.  Shifting handheld is doable, adjusting the image plane finely would require a tripod.

hambergler:
There is the Zeiss 15mm and Tokina 16-28 as well

TexPhoto:
The 17mm Tilt shift is an amazing lens, I love mine, but it is also large and heavy.  Something to consider.  What about a 8-15mm Fisheye, small light and and cheap by comparison, and much wider. 

I am looking at a 12-24 mm Sigma II myself.  Super Duper Wide, zoomable, and no fisheye effect...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version