September 15, 2014, 11:01:13 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]  (Read 41402 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Information [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
I don't understand all of this argueing and guessing what one needs on the camera.
A flip screen is fine in some situations, so why shoudn't we have it? Other cameras have it.
A build in flash shure, why not? Nikon has it too.
Wifi sounds nice just like GPS so give it to us.
Low noise at high iso is not a question for nikon, canon had allways some problems wit that.
If someone is using it or not is just an idivuduel thing.
Why should a Canon camera have not all the same features like an nikon or sony. To be the best camera on the market it has to have even more than that. Let everyone decied what buildin features they want to use but to make a choise you got to have in the first place.
The price should be as low posible so a lot of people can get one and canon will make some profit there.

This is a rumor site.  There is signal and there is noise;  there is arguing and there is guessing -- thats what we do here. With the exception of the occasional troll,  the vigorous discussion is fueled  in part by speculation regarding how the camera is positioned, i.e. what feature set will be important to the targeted audience and what tradeoffs will be made and how that will affect the end user.  Most here understand the specialization that has to happen and that it not just as simple as "give us everything".   

For example, flip screens and pop-up flash are pretty individual things with their own tradeoffs like weather sealing, ergonomics and ultimate durability in the field.  Being a rumors forum, folks here naturally discuss what they anticipate in the camera, esp what would please or disapoint. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
No flip screen = no un wanted repairs of a flip screen that sticks out.
No flip screen = better weather proofing
cheap cameras and actual video cameras are what flip screens go on. If a flip screen is important you prob should be looking at video cameras.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
No flip screen = no un wanted repairs of a flip screen that sticks out.
No flip screen = better weather proofing
cheap cameras and actual video cameras are what flip screens go on. If a flip screen is important you prob should be looking at video cameras.

With all due respect, that is in your opinion.  I do very little video work overall, but the one thing I wish my 5D MKII had above just about any feature but an improved AF system would be the articulating screen.  I had my 60D first, and there was quite an adjustment period when I first got my 5DMKII.  I missed the screen terribly in the field for landscape work, and it was only the great image quality of the 5D that kept me hooked.  I was VERY disappointed when the 5DMKIII was introduced without the articulating screen.  It is an invaluable tool in the field.

According to Bryan Carnethan at "The Digital Picture": "As shown in the images above, the Canon EOS 60D has received the same level of weather sealing as the EOS 50D. This amount is slightly less than the 7D's level of sealing."

Clearly the articulating screen did nothing to keep the camera from getting the same degree of weathersealing that it's predecessor had, which is intentionally somewhat less than the 7D for marketing reasons. 

I don't know on what evidence you are drawing your conclusions, but I have not heard of a tremendous amount of "flip-screen" related repairs.  If you don't want to flip it out, then don't, but it is nice to have that option.  It is also great to have that screen reversed for travel so that the LCD is not exposed.

I'll end with this anecdote.  I had to replace the LCD window on my 5DMKII this autumn because....wait for it...an acorn fell out of a tree while I was hiking in the woods with the camera in a chest holster, back (and LCD) faced up.  The acorn hit the window and starred it in every direction.  I ordered the parts and did the replacement myself, but if I had been carrying my 60D, I would have had that screen reversed, and, at worse, I would gotten a mark on paint.  My wallet was wishing the 5D had an articulating screen for another reason that day!
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Any camera which has a flip out screen will not be brought by me and many others.

I know exactly what would happen... Breakage. It's not that I not careful with my equipment but it would be one catastrophic weak point.

Oh and just to be a sceptic, it's also very possible that canon will under cook the 7d mark ii and nikon's replacement for the d300s will walk all over it. I hope not, I really hope not. But no word on the direct competition either. A long long time waiting either way.

A mini 1d mark 4? The 7d is that... More or less.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:07:30 PM by Danielle »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

Just because something is your opinion does not make it reality to all....

Have you ever heard of astrophotography? You attach the camera to the telescope and take pictures of the stars.... The best time of the year is the winter, when the cold weather means less moisture in the air and it means better pictures.... and as a general rule of thumb.... we point the telescope up, and that means that to see the back of the camera we either have to use a diagonal (90 degree mirror) that degrades the image and makes focusing a problem, or we have get BELOW the camera to see the back of it.... this means a lot of lying in the snow, and quite frankly, I prefer a tilt-swivel screen to lying in the snow.

I look forward to wifi enabled bodies where I can stream the view and controls to a phone or tablet that I can keep warm under my coat.... but then you probably think that wifi has no place in cameras either....

I'll tell you something else about astrophotography...... it happens a lot at night, and low light/ high ISO performance is very important to us.... so the idea of high end cameras with either wifi or articulated screens is very welcome to this segment of the population. Cheap cameras and video recorders just do not cut it here.
The best camera is the one in your hands

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 12:56:44 AM »
I do see the 7D (and its successor) positioned as a wildlife/Sports camera. Considering this, the 7D is weathersealed. So why should this camera get a 'flipscreen' in the 7D MKII? This feature may be the thing for a 70D that probably will get very good video specs.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

niccon

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »
Low noise at high iso is not a question for nikon, canon had allways some problems wit that.

low noise at high iso has been an issue with nikon many years back (early 2000s) and nikon users at that time wish they can look into cmos (which canon employed) for improvement. it was only recent years (after 2006, i think) that nikon sensor started to improve and eventually overtake (or levelled with) canon in this aspect.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
I do see the 7D (and its successor) positioned as a wildlife/Sports camera. Considering this, the 7D is weathersealed. So why should this camera get a 'flipscreen' in the 7D MKII? This feature may be the thing for a 70D that probably will get very good video specs.

The 60D is also weathersealed, just not quite to the degree of the 7D.  I don't think weathersealing is the issue.  I would guess that demand is probably the bigger issue.  It is obviously a divisive issue here, and if this group is representative of the intended market, the 7D MKII may not have the screen because not enough of the market demands it.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Powder Portraits

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • viewmyimages
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »
As a employer who "trains" staff to be on the hill ski photographers I would never outfit a ski photographer with a breakaway flip screen.

coreyhkh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
The market for the 7d and is sports and wildlife, there is no need or place for that stupid screen. Its great for some people, but that should be a feature of the 70d.

A lot of people that will buy the new 7D will be using it outside where things happen, rain/snow hitting trees and dropping it is just normal, no matter how careful you are things happen.

I would still buy this camera if it had the screen but I would prefer it didn't. 

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
You have the Canon 60Da that was made specifically with the astronomer in mind.  It has the swivel screen and 18MP with 5.3FPS.  How much faster do you need for astronomy?

Or you can always invest in an extra long giant Gitzo tripod.  There are some that go above 94 inches.

Just because something is your opinion does not make it reality to all....

Have you ever heard of astrophotography? You attach the camera to the telescope and take pictures of the stars.... The best time of the year is the winter, when the cold weather means less moisture in the air and it means better pictures.... and as a general rule of thumb.... we point the telescope up, and that means that to see the back of the camera we either have to use a diagonal (90 degree mirror) that degrades the image and makes focusing a problem, or we have get BELOW the camera to see the back of it.... this means a lot of lying in the snow, and quite frankly, I prefer a tilt-swivel screen to lying in the snow.

I look forward to wifi enabled bodies where I can stream the view and controls to a phone or tablet that I can keep warm under my coat.... but then you probably think that wifi has no place in cameras either....

I'll tell you something else about astrophotography...... it happens a lot at night, and low light/ high ISO performance is very important to us.... so the idea of high end cameras with either wifi or articulated screens is very welcome to this segment of the population. Cheap cameras and video recorders just do not cut it here.
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
Sad_Dave:  see?  there are important reasons behind the comments and speculations here.  Generally, the ones who expect all features on one camera are without a firm grasp of tradeoffs, target markets and cost consequences. 

as far as the discussion itself goes, -  A wildlife camera should be optimized for the environments it is expected to be used-- outdoors in less than ideal conditions.  It should not be have the ability to place a portion of its hardware in a mechanically  vulnerable position, increasing chance of equipment failure in enviroments more hostile, for example,  than an indoor birthday party.  Moreover, a wildlife/action 'tog is not likely to appreciate the cost, durability, weather sealing,  and ergonomic consequences of having such a screen but  simply avoiding its use.   

That said, the general purpose consumer who wants to chronicle family events, adding  a few cool portaits, landscapes, and macros along the way, would likely be happy with a general purpose camera with an articulating screen, especially if there is no desire to chase moose in the snow. 

I do acknowledge (and even suspect) that if Canon strengthens the wildlife/sports orientation of the 7D even further in the 7D2, and perhaps even produces a worthy successor to the 1D4, that there will be some disspointed consumers who want the status of a single digit camera with the consumer features of the xxD

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
A question - has anyone tried to capture a BIF using the screen?
The very few times I've used the LCD on my 7D instead of the viewfinder I found it very difficult to track moving animals, let alone a bird in flight, especially with my longer lenses. Holding the camera to my eye makes it much easier to follow the critter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »
You have the Canon 60Da that was made specifically with the astronomer in mind.  It has the swivel screen and 18MP with 5.3FPS.  How much faster do you need for astronomy?

Or you can always invest in an extra long giant Gitzo tripod.  There are some that go above 94 inches.

5.3 frames per second has absolutly nothing to do with "faster for astronomy" because exposure times are in minutes.... I tend to use the IoShutterPro app on an ipad to control the shutter because the camera itself will only allow a 30 second maximum exposure. For faster, we mean higher ISO and lower noise at higher ISO's is highly desired. I was taking pictures of the Andromeda galaxy a few days ago, F2.8, ISO3200, 8 minute exposure time..... and that's a fairly bright target!

Gitzo tripods may be great for most people, but in astrophotography we mount our telescopes and cameras on tracking mounts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:49:17 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Sad_Dave

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »
I do understand well that some of the consumer can afford more than one camera body. Each one for a different use, but not all of us can. For those who can purchase only one camera that one should have as much features as possible. If some shoot only sports, well just don't need that flip screen. If somebody is just taking pictures at the birthdayparty, than he just is ok with a xxxD. But if you find interest in shooting many different things you want a camera that offers all the needed featurs like flip screen, fast shooting, fast af and so on.
That camera would be the right one for me, because i can only buy one an not 2 more as a back up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »