April 19, 2014, 07:58:13 PM

Author Topic: questions~  (Read 1415 times)

freenight

questions~
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »
Hi all, i am new to photography and this site. I have some questions that i would need some help with and hopefully some of you might be able to help me with. Please bear with me.

-am i right to say that the EF-S lenses do not work on the fullframe cameras
-What kind of difference are we talking about when we mount a regular EF lens as compared to a L lens on a fullframe camera
-Do the EF lenses maximize the full capacity of a fullframe camera as it does with the L lenses?
-How do i know what kind of third party manufacturer lens is compatible with a fullframe camera?

Thank you in advance!

canon rumors FORUM

questions~
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »

PackLight

Re: questions~
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
-am i right to say that the EF-S lenses do not work on the fullframe cameras
-What kind of difference are we talking about when we mount a regular EF lens as compared to a L lens on a fullframe camera
-Do the EF lenses maximize the full capacity of a fullframe camera as it does with the L lenses?
-How do i know what kind of third party manufacturer lens is compatible with a fullframe camera?

#1 Yes
#2 Image quality and a more durable, possibly weather sealed lens. It may have other things that will vary by lens.
#3 I would have phrased your question opposite and went out it this way, Will the FF camera get the most out of the lens? the FF camera will maximize the fullcapacity of your lenses. Your non L lens may not have the same abilities as the L. The rule IMO is, glass before body.  Or to answer this from possibly another angle, you will get more out of the FF body than the Crop.
#4 Stick with Canon and you are sure. But if you are shopping for a third party it should say EF or Canon EF mount in the lens description.

I did make the assumption on #2 you meant the diffrence between L and Non L lens, as EF is the lens mount type.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:08:10 PM by PackLight »

Dark Reality

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Ef-s do not work with full frame.

The real difference I see from my L and ef lens, would be build quality. And typically perform better wide open (2.8 , 1.2 ... )  stopped down to say 11, quality becomes similar in real world use.

Your third question is a little harder, ef and L lens are meant for full frame, only because they will let you use the while image area of the sensor, whereas ef-s lens normally have "smaller" glass, because they have less sensor area to cover.  Most ef or L lens will actually appear better on a crop camera because the camera only uses the center portion of the lens, which in most cases, is better.

3rd party lens makers have a variety of different ways of labeling the lens for crop or full frame.  Best advice, since there are so many different types, is to check online per lens that you are considering. especially the wider lens, like 10mm. Most of those are crop only.
Photography saved my life.

freenight

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies, really appreciate it!
Also if i might add, what are the kind of things i have to take note when getting 3rd party lens, be it used or brand new?

freenight

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
Also if i might add, what are the kind of things i have to take note when getting 3rd party lens, be it used or brand new?

Many of the third party lens manufacturers make lenses for multiple DSLR bodies, so you need to check that e.g. a Tokina/Sigma/Tamron and so on lens, has a Canon/Nikon/Sony etc. mount.

If you buy a used lens, just make sure the vendor has the original box + packaging (most likely then just one previous owner) as well as both original lens caps (front + rear), and it is in obvious good/immaculate condition, but most importantly you have to TEST IT on a DSLR e.g. I have a new EF-S 18-55 IS lens that will not go below f/5.0  but if you held it in your hand or used it at 55mm @ f/5.6 (it's max. aperture) you'd never know that it had been knocked off a coffee table < 2 feet to the floor but the aperture blades no longer function correctly.

This past summer I sold a 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens to a photographer and he bought it within 2 mins having tested it and paid me 900 euros for a 2008 (date code) lens, as it was the 4th one he'd seen that week for sale (all the others were cheaper 800-850 euros) but to quote him: "they were all junk in rag order". Mine was pristine - bought new in 2011 as a Retail demo model - and did not have a single scuff/scratch on it, was regularly cleaned with a Lens Pen + always had a 77mm HD filter on from day-one.

That's another tell-tale sign when buying a used lens - does it have a filter attached and if the seller says that the filter is not included (also means that they look after their gear + purchase decent filters).

wow, thanks for the detailed info. really appreciate it.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »

Third party lenses until the most recent offerings tend to have less capable autofocus. When in doubt, just buy the Canon lens, you won't be disappointed and it can be easily resold if you decide you want something else. If you go third party, there are some good choices imo, just do your research and it becomes clear pretty quickly which ones are good.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, Canon TC 1.4x III

katwil

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
I have had no issues with 3rd party lenses, mostly Sigma and Tamron.  Most of the problems I’ve heard with 3rd party lenses tend to be around quality control.  If you do find a lens from someone other than Canon that appeals to you, I would suggest that you get it from a seller with a good return policy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »