Gear Talk > Technical Support

Possibility to recover overwritten images on harddisk?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: M.ST on December 11, 2012, 06:50:22 AM ---Don´t try to recover the files with a file recovering software.

--- End quote ---

I disagree, afaik it doesn't hurt to try at just reading the data - but the most secure option if in doubt is to create a full sector image of the hd (throught r-studio or some backup software like acronis), then mount the image and work on that.

--- Quote from: M.ST on December 11, 2012, 06:50:22 AM ---Don´t write another file to the harddisc.

--- End quote ---

That's a given :-p

fr8oc:
I've used this company for data recovery a couple of times for work.  They were successful both times recovering the data.

You send them the disk and for a fee they will let give you a file listing that they can recover. They will then quote how much they will charge for recovering the files.  As others have said, it's not cheap. I would definitely call and tell them your situation to see what they recommend.

http://www.krollontrack.com/

bycostello:
data recovery companies are very expensive.. make sure u really need the files!!

PeterJ:
Be aware too of 'snake oil' in the data recovery business too. Maybe someone can prove me wrong but I'm not aware of a single case ever with a modern HDD where data has ever been recovered by anyone if the actual data has been overwritten even once.

That's a lot different to an 'oops' moment where you realise soon after you've deleted the file so it's flagged as deleted but the orignal data is still on the disk. I guess being a backup drive it was pretty full and has had plenty of writes over the data, so based on your results from those tools unfotunately suspect you'll be out of luck.

EvilTed:
I'm sorry you've lost all your stuff, it's happened to me in the past too :(

On the question of recovery, it depends.

When files are "overwritten" not all the blocks may be hit.
It also depends upon how many times they have been "overwritten".
If you are using a Mac, Prosoft have a program called Data Rescue, which I've used with "some success" in the past.
I see they have a PC version, but I've never used it.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/

I work for the largest storage company in the world, so backup and retention is my thing.
We have a rule of "3 copies, with one of them offsite" in the industry.
I'm not suggesting you need the level of protection that I use, but I don't want to lose my photos, music or documents, so I follow that mantra at home too

All my Macs have shares to a QNAP NAS which runs on my network 24/7.
It has 8x 2TB Enterprise drives running in RAID 6.
This automatically backs up to the Cloud using CrashPlan+, direct from the NAS.
I also have a Dell Server that has a hardware RAID controller and external enclosure with 8x 1.5TB in RAID 5, used once a month as an Rsync backup from the QNAP.

This way, worst case, I still have a copy on CrashPlan's servers in the Cloud that I can recover if absolutely necessary.
CrashPlan+ is very cheap, has unlimited storage (I currently store 2.1TB) for $50 a year and more importantly, they don't throttle you after a certain data size.

HTH

ET

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version