July 30, 2014, 09:35:07 PM

Author Topic: 6D vs 5Diii vs 5Dii - Speedlite AF Focus Beam Assist Tests  (Read 14196 times)

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: 6D vs 5Diii vs 5Dii - Speedlite AF Focus Beam Assist Tests
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:33 AM »
This is a copy of my post from another thread on the same topic:

So I've been doing some further testing.  I can create a situation on my mk3 and 600 ex-rt where I can notice a much less snappy AF lock.  I was not able to re-create the lag when trying to focus in a very dark (almost black) setting.  Maybe, that's where I messed up in my prior testing.  Maybe a completely black environment creates enough contrast between the environment and the red focus assist beam to allow focus whereas a dimly lit situation is lit just enough to give the camera trouble focusing because it can't really see the red AF assist beam as well.

I'm able to notice a significant lag when the ambient light is dim (proper exposure in camera at f/2.8, 1/50, ISO 5000). 

Seems to me like I would just turn the beam OFF when I notice the ambient light is about at this level.  Am I still over simplifying the issue?  I get that pros need their focus to be snappy to catch those moments.  Wouldn't that mean a few test shots in the environment first to gauge the settings required....including wether or not to turn the AF assist beam on/off?

Maybe I don't understand the depth of the issue because I'm not coming from a 5D mk2 where the focus is supposed to be faster.  That said, I'm an engineer by trade.  We are trouble shooters by nature.  It seems like there's a pretty easy fix for this (just based off of what I've been able to test).  If this really is an issue for a shooter,  just turn the beam off when you feel like it's slowing you down.  Does ambient light in a reception hall or your venues change constantly for you guys?  Isn't this just a matter of your experience telling you how your camera should be set to capture moments?  I'm not trying to be condescending.  promise.   I still don't understand what the big deal is.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55:33 AM »

steliosk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 05:09:31 AM »
its very simple

5D2 focuses faster with af assist beam while 5D3 doesn't
same thing in 6D in 1Dx and all the new aps-c cameras

In low light situations where there is not enough ambient light for the focus point to find target AF beam is a saviour and canon screwed that up with their new cameras..
That costs moments and costs money and if you're shooting an event, people are filled with worries like "did he get the picture or is he still focusing?"

i shoot weddings too and light is a pain in the ass sometimes

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 05:54:38 AM »
thats probably the most sense any one has made about it.  Thank you.... so there is a grey area where you really need the AF assist beam to focus and can't do it with just ambient light.  got it
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »