October 25, 2014, 09:09:05 AM

Author Topic: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS  (Read 15593 times)

Heidrun

Re: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »
Originally I thought Canon's new 200-400mm announcement was going to do a "soft replace" this lens, but I'm not so certain now. Either way, I don't see a 200-400 and a 100-400 announcement coming in the same year. I would highly doubt the marketing genius behind it. If a 100-400 replacement was coming, we'd be looking at a minimum of a year, possibly two out.

Which reminded me, I played with a 100-400mm this weekend. I won't discount my initial impression that the lens was probably stolen and/or very badly mistreated for awhile - lacking a rear cap, didn't have a case but had a very expensive Pro Hoya filter and the lens hood; the guy who was selling it didn't have a Canon camera and had about zero clue on the lens itself. The guy wanted $885 AUD (normally 1550+ AUD used here), which should have been my first clue, but I went to check it out anyway. The push-pull mechanism was really stiff and I felt like I was fighting with it the whole time. I also had extreme issues with getting it past the 350mm mark, I think I gave up finally. Images were soft, edges were fuzzy and indistinct - a close up of a palm tree leaf looked like it had a ghosted image behind it. While on manual focus images objects in the centre were blurry and slightly ghosted, with a small barrel distortion in the image - shooting the roof line and balcony of the house across the street. This was quite possibly the worst L lens I've ever handled and seen. I felt dirty just looking at it. Nothing obvious through the lens, no marks or scratches and even removing the filter, it was just bad. I'm guessing it had been dropped a few times off a four story building, but the guy said he thought it was the calibration of my camera to the lens. Needless to say, I didn't buy it, but that experience just put me off buying a used lens for awhile.

You are maybe right in the prediction of a year or two. But that brings me to the other discussion i had. The ef 400 f. 5,6 L. Will this be relpaced with a new one with is. Because this one now is going out on date

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »

afira

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
Originally I thought Canon's new 200-400mm announcement was going to do a "soft replace" this lens, but I'm not so certain now. Either way, I don't see a 200-400 and a 100-400 announcement coming in the same year. I would highly doubt the marketing genius behind it. If a 100-400 replacement was coming, we'd be looking at a minimum of a year, possibly two out.

You are maybe right in the prediction of a year or two. But that brings me to the other discussion i had. The ef 400 f. 5,6 L. Will this be relpaced with a new one with is. Because this one now is going out on date

Doubt it, at least you won't see this redesign in the next year. With the full redesigns of the prime telephotos in the f/2.8 range, I wouldn't see them rushing to the plates to put this one in production.

I'd doubt Canon would bother with IS on this lens anyway, as it is slow and pretty much designed for tripod use. Keeping the IS from the lens in this case keeps the manufacturing cost down (read cheaper for users) and the lens light(er) and... portable. Although, I will note that it seems every Canon lens is getting the IS treatment in the II versions, anything over f/2.8 anyway, so you may get your wish.

I only ever see the 400mm f/5.6Ls stuck to a massive tripod with hood fully extended and a guy in a baseball cap glued to the eyepiece.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
I only ever see the 400mm f/5.6Ls stuck to a massive tripod with hood fully extended and a guy in a baseball cap glued to the eyepiece.

You must not go where there are a lot of flying birds.  The 400/5.6L is commonly used to capture birds in flight - long focal length, fast AF, easy to handhold, reasonable cost, and flying birds demand shutter speeds that render IS pretty ineffective.  Still, I'm firmly in the camp of wanting an IS version of this lens - then, it would be useful for stationary subjects, too.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
I think the 70-300 L and the 200-400 L will replace the 300mm f4 IS, and the 100-400mm.

IS is BTW awsome both on and off a tripod for longer lenses if you know how to use it.

afira

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »

You must not go where there are a lot of flying birds.  The 400/5.6L is commonly used to capture birds in flight - long focal length, fast AF, easy to handhold, reasonable cost, and flying birds demand shutter speeds that render IS pretty ineffective.  Still, I'm firmly in the camp of wanting an IS version of this lens - then, it would be useful for stationary subjects, too.

When I was back home in Texas, the only people I saw near flying birds had shotguns in their hands, not cameras.  :P

Here in Australia, I find that the lenses of choice are typically much smaller, as the birds are quite tame and the white and black cockatoos and other parrots will let you get pretty close, and anything under 300mm is suitable for bird watching near the beach. Usually I find it's just a long waiting game for some kid to run up and spook them into flying away if you want to catch them in flight. Even in the bush, I believe you'd be hard pressed to need something with a longer range. Even the galas will let you get within 5-20 feet, and give you a massive show of pink and white feathers up close and personal.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:21 AM »

When I was back home in Texas, the only people I saw near flying birds had shotguns in their hands, not cameras.  :P

Here in Australia, I find that the lenses of choice are typically much smaller, as the birds are quite tame and the white and black cockatoos and other parrots will let you get pretty close, and anything under 300mm is suitable for bird watching near the beach. Usually I find it's just a long waiting game for some kid to run up and spook them into flying away if you want to catch them in flight. Even in the bush, I believe you'd be hard pressed to need something with a longer range. Even the galas will let you get within 5-20 feet, and give you a massive show of pink and white feathers up close and personal.

Once, I managed to get close enough to a great blue heron to fill the frame (a 1.6x crop frame, mind you) at 400mm.  That was after about 20 minutes of careful approach. 

EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/640 s, f/5.6, ISO 640

...but the majority of the time, even 400mm on a crop body is not long enough.

I think the 70-300 L and the 200-400 L will replace the 300mm f4 IS, and the 100-400mm.

The 70-300mm is quite possibly the replacement for the aging 100-400mm.  A zoom cannot really replace a prime, though, RE the 200-400 being a replacement for anything in the sub-$2K range, that's like saying the 1DsIV is the replacement for the 7D - preposterous.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:21 AM »