Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

Flash transceiver

<< < (2/4) > >>

unfocused:
Your cheapest, best option is the Yongnuo ST-E2. About half the price of the Canon, but offers several improvements: 1) longer range; 2) swivel mount so you can point it at the Speedlites; 3) works through the camera menu system; 4) recognizes three firing groups AB&C; 5) Uses double AA batteries.

Downside is it does tend to overheat if you are doing an intensive shoot. Requiring a break in the shooting.

That is, of course, an infrared solution, so it works with the 430 and any additional 430s or 580s you might get, without any additional cost. But, it isn't a radio solution.

Due to the overheating issue, I just bought two sets of the Yongnuo 622-Cs. I've only tested them out and haven't used them yet for any real shooting, but so far, they work great. A little more expensive, but they have the advantage of being a radio system instead of Infrared. I'll keep the ST-E2 as a backup or when I don't have enough receivers. (Since you can pretty much fire an infinite number of speedlites with the ST-E2 so long as they can see the signal). By the way, I've never had any problem with the ST-E2 signal not firing a strobe, but I don't use them for long distances (although I have used them outdoors).

neuroanatomist:
Another option would be the relatively new Canon Speedlite 90EX - $150, functions as an on camera master, and gives you low-power (e.g., fill) flash capability if you need it.

wickidwombat:

--- Quote from: unfocused on December 19, 2012, 05:15:40 PM ---Your cheapest, best option is the Yongnuo ST-E2. About half the price of the Canon, but offers several improvements: 1) longer range; 2) swivel mount so you can point it at the Speedlites; 3) works through the camera menu system; 4) recognizes three firing groups AB&C; 5) Uses double AA batteries.

Downside is it does tend to overheat if you are doing an intensive shoot. Requiring a break in the shooting.

That is, of course, an infrared solution, so it works with the 430 and any additional 430s or 580s you might get, without any additional cost. But, it isn't a radio solution.

Due to the overheating issue, I just bought two sets of the Yongnuo 622-Cs. I've only tested them out and haven't used them yet for any real shooting, but so far, they work great. A little more expensive, but they have the advantage of being a radio system instead of Infrared. I'll keep the ST-E2 as a backup or when I don't have enough receivers. (Since you can pretty much fire an infinite number of speedlites with the ST-E2 so long as they can see the signal). By the way, I've never had any problem with the ST-E2 signal not firing a strobe, but I don't use them for long distances (although I have used them outdoors).

--- End quote ---

these dont work on the 5Dmk3 there is some sync problem the flash fires but misses the shutter window

wickidwombat:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on December 19, 2012, 05:51:45 PM ---Another option would be the relatively new Canon Speedlite 90EX - $150, functions as an on camera master, and gives you low-power (e.g., fill) flash capability if you need it.

--- End quote ---

this is a good option and its tiny and light and actually even as on camera flash for close portraits indoors with decent ISO it seems to have enough power when used with the 85mm i like this little flash

verysimplejason:
If your willing to go full manual, there are available transceivers from Yongnuo.  I'm using RF603.  It's very cheap, less than 100 bucks (around 60?).  You can also go TTL but will cost you around twice.  The 90EX is also nice to have but for me a transceiver set is a better option if funds are limited.  You can add another set if you want to accommodate more flashes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version