Image & Video Galleries > Underwater

Advice on inexpensive underwater system

<< < (2/4) > >>

Pinchers of Peril:
Stewart, those pics are great! Thanks for sharing.

kirispupis:
Thank you for all of the replies.  Based on these and other research, the following are some thoughts.

1) Get lucky and find a deal on underwater housing for my 5D3 on EBay.
2) Sell the X10, buy an RX100 and a housing for it + a fisheye lens for it (I have seen them for sale).
3) Buy nothing

The main reason I am looking into underwater equipment at all is we will be travelling to the Great Barrier Reef next year.  We will spend a few days on Lady Elliot Island and another on a daytrip from Port Douglas. However, as interesting as that is I cannot justify spending a lot of money just to get a few underwater shots from the trip.  Therefore it should be usable in swimming pools and half in/half out shots to justify the expense.

Question about strobes - do I need them for snorkeling?  My assumption was they are only really necessary for diving - for snorkeling there is enough light from above the water.

Otara:
Do not start out underwater photography with your 5d.   Your chances of a flood are highest early on in your career.

Image quality wise, your main limits on that early on are the water quality, ability, and the presence or absence of strobes unless using filters or diving under 3 meters.  A compact has many advantages when you're starting out, not least of which is portability for travel.

If you're going to the GBR, one obvious possibility is rental of housing or entire setup as an experiment, there are several uwp shops in cairns you could access.   Another possibility is olympus mirror less, they have extremely good low cost housings.

Finally, consider second hand, many people sell off extremely good systems in order to have the newest and greatest.

Otara

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: kirispupis on December 19, 2012, 05:28:06 PM ---Question about strobes - do I need them for snorkeling?  My assumption was they are only really necessary for diving - for snorkeling there is enough light from above the water.

--- End quote ---

That's probably going to depend on your snorkeling habits and abilities.  If you're trolling along the surface, with the end of your snorkel in the air, no need for a strobe.  When I'm snorkeling, I often free dive down to 25-30 feet, and at those depths, especially if the water is not crystal-clear, a strobe would certainly come in handy.

Stewart Sy:
If you can dive below 15' then you will need strobes.  You can get some colour correction filters that help in the shallower depths but you will of course need to shoot with the sun behind you and you loose about 2 stops of light.

s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version