September 01, 2014, 07:43:31 PM

Author Topic: World's First EOS-1D C Motion Image Shoot  (Read 8711 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
World's First EOS-1D C Motion Image Shoot
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

From Untitled Film Works

Check out some of the work being done using the Canon EOS 1D C, the motion image results are pretty astonishing.

The art of motion image

“The art and skill of a photographer is still required when using a camera like the 1DC. Understanding and harnessing of light, composition and interaction with your subjects are all vital skills of a photographer and are not replaced by the idea of motion image capture. Photographers also use a variety of techniques to obtain unique looking images (like long exposure times and the use of remote flashes) these times of images would not be reproduced in video. I see the biggest step forward using motion image capture the ability to record many individual moments in time, all the while silently as there is no shutter being released. This could have great benefits in situations where you may want to remain more candid. Subjects could also feel more relaxed not knowing “photographs” are being taken.”

Read the entire article

Preorder Canon EOS-1D C at B&H Photo $11,999

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

World's First EOS-1D C Motion Image Shoot
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
Re: World's First EOS-1D C Motion Image Shoot
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
Fascinating!!!
What is truth?

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
Incredible!
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
I like that they are honest about the limitations of not shooting RAW and the storage requirements.

Still, looking at some of the stills it seems hard to believe that the prints were that spectacular to see. The fine detail is a bit lacking. It's impressive overall and very impressive knowing it came from video, but not ready to replace shooting stills yet. At least not for weddings or portraits. For sports, it's probably going to cause a revolution.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

albron00

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »
yea, it's getting more and more interesting....

moonlight graham

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
i want this camera so bad

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
This is really interesting, I never thought ability to pull stills from video.  I think this camera will do much better than alot of people on here expected it to (same with the C100). 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »
Okay, I'm going to call BS, for the most part.

First, I think it is legitimate to capture stills from a video stream.  Of course, if you want to do it right, shoot in raw, and that means use a RED camera, not the "c".  They mentioned this in the video and hoped for the next generation, when RED is already doing it.

Second, and they mentioned this as well, stills settings are nearly always very different than video settings for the same scene.  One might want 1/500th for stills (for reducing motion blur in the final frame) and 1/48th for video (for preserving motion blur to make the video look smooth).  This means it's nearly never possible to shoot video and stills at the same time with the intention of using both as final output.  You are going to have to pick one or the other in advance most of the time.  Again, though they mentioned this, they glossed over it.

Third, if you need flash for your images, video mode is not much help.  Flash is often an incredibly valuable tool for controlling scene contrast, and we stills shooters often don't really realize just how powerful our little on-camera flashes are.  If you want to replace a 580, you might need a 20kW video light, which comes on a truck.  So this stuff is really only for conditions where natural light is acceptable without modification.  Of course, there are many times like that, but not all by a long shot.

Fourth, capturing 24 frames per second and then picking your frame often does the exact opposite of what is mentioned in the video - it misses the key moment rather than allowing you to find it in the video stream.  Not always, but sometimes.  In many cases, I can time my shutter release to within about 2ms for doing things like capturing a batter hitting a ball, a pitcher releasing a ball, etc.  For 2ms accuracy, you need 500fps, not 24fps.  Even if I'm only accurate to 5ms (I can nail that most of the time) you'd still need 200fps.  So, in many cases, "spray and pray", even at ordinary video speeds - or even at RED's maximum of 120fps - is not sufficient to capture the moment unless your "spray" is at very, very high frame rates that neither the "c" nor any of the RED cameras can manage.

I want to reiterate that there are times when this approach can be useful, but it's no panacea as they try desperately to imply in the video.

raptor3x

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
In many cases, I can time my shutter release to within about 2ms for doing things like capturing a batter hitting a ball, a pitcher releasing a ball, etc.  For 2ms accuracy, you need 500fps, not 24fps.  Even if I'm only accurate to 5ms (I can nail that most of the time) you'd still need 200fps.  So, in many cases, "spray and pray", even at ordinary video speeds - or even at RED's maximum of 120fps - is not sufficient to capture the moment unless your "spray" is at very, very high frame rates that neither the "c" nor any of the RED cameras can manage.

I'm going to have to call BS on this considering the lower limit on human reaction time is ~150ms.  Give the following link a try to get a sense of the speed required for 2ms.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:24:33 PM by raptor3x »
Bodies: 1Ds3,5D3,X-T1,A7 Lenses:  16-35L F4 IS, X 18-55 2.8-4, Σ 35 1.4 A, Σ 50 1.4 A, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 100L IS, 135L,  70-200L F2.8 IS II

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
In many cases, I can time my shutter release to within about 2ms for doing things like capturing a batter hitting a ball, a pitcher releasing a ball, etc.  For 2ms accuracy, you need 500fps, not 24fps.  Even if I'm only accurate to 5ms (I can nail that most of the time) you'd still need 200fps.  So, in many cases, "spray and pray", even at ordinary video speeds - or even at RED's maximum of 120fps - is not sufficient to capture the moment unless your "spray" is at very, very high frame rates that neither the "c" nor any of the RED cameras can manage.

I'm going to have to call BS on this considering the lower limit on human reaction time is ~150ms.  Give the following link a try to get a sense of the speed required for 2ms.

You don't have to react if you can see the action coming.  You can anticipate.

For example:

http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/20D%20versus%20S3%20crops.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/20D%20versus%20S3%20crops%202.jpg

There are plenty more applications, some even humorous.  I did this on purpose.

http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/aircraft/eaaflyin2007/12.jpg

Or these:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/aircraft/aamairshow2007/044.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/aircraft/aamairshow2007/045.jpg
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:31:33 PM by Lee Jay »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
It has an APS-H sensor...
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »
Lee Jay is right about the anticipation versus reaction point.

webphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
Wow, amazing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »

AlicoatePhotography

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 01:00:47 AM »
What is not important here is what this camera can or cannot do.  What is important is the shift in direction and marketing that this camera brings.  It is true that a camera that can take continuous footage at a decent resolution will change a lot of the photo industry.  Canon sees this, and that is where they are heading.  If I were younger and had a desire to move into a cutting edge industry, I would probably mortgage the house and buy two of these things with a heck of a lot of memory cards.  I would start marketing myself in a way that differentiated myself from my competition, and as technology catches up, I would employ that too.  With an existing client base and experience at this craft, you would be at the forefront ready to handle raw video 5K, or whatever is next.  Who knows, the future hardware could shoot 5K at 24FPS and then when you press the stills button you get a temporary bump to 60 FPS with multi-exposure blur to still have smooth video and still be able to use a high shutter speed for great stills.  Its possible.  Some company will figure this out, and things will change.

Exciting stuff.  Too bad I am old, tired, and in a different industry.

Mantanuska

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 01:51:09 AM »
It has an APS-H sensor...

B+H photo says the sensor is  24 x 36mm (full frame)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 01:51:09 AM »