July 22, 2014, 09:59:16 PM

Author Topic: for those who snub the 6D AF...  (Read 22418 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: for those who snub the 6D AF...
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
I still wonder if people who have had a similar experience to you, just left the AF adjustments at their factory default?  I changed mine some, and it is very responsive for servo autofocus.  I have yet to miss one shot.

Might have missed this, but can you expand on what you did?

I don't recall at this point exactly what settings I did at that time.  But I have noticed that until you adjust them to one extreme or the other, there is not a lot of difference.  The main problem with my own 6D's AF, is that in servo mode with all points active, it tends to ignore the center point, and instead attempts to find focus with all the outer points...which are obviously not as good as the center point.  This occurs even when the subject is obviously directly on the center point...If this behavior is typical of most 6D's, then this alone would account for most of the low hit rate complaints with the 6D.  However, there were other complaints that wound up being a completely faulty AF sensor, where it either needed replacing, or perhaps some kind of software update that only Canon service personnel can do (I am only guessing about the specifics of this).

If you are asking the basics of tweaking the AF in servo mode, that is in the AF menu.  What is it you are shooting, what's the situation, and what lens...if I may ask?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:58:25 PM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »

sarakoth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2013, 01:46:55 AM »
I don't recall at this point exactly what settings I did at that time.  But I have noticed that until you adjust them to one extreme or the other, there is not a lot of difference.  The main problem with my own 6D's AF, is that in servo mode with all points active, it tends to ignore the center point, and instead attempts to find focus with all the outer points...which are obviously not as good as the center point.  This occurs even when the subject is obviously directly on the center point...If this behavior is typical of most 6D's, then this alone would account for most of the low hit rate complaints with the 6D.  However, there were other complaints that wound up being a completely faulty AF sensor, where it either needed replacing, or perhaps some kind of software update that only Canon service personnel can do (I am only guessing about the specifics of this).

If you are asking the basics of tweaking the AF in servo mode, that is in the AF menu.  What is it you are shooting, what's the situation, and what lens...if I may ask?

Thanks... I will check out the menus again.. I think I did when I got the camera about a month ago but not sure if I changed anything.

I have not really had a problem, but wanted to review what my settings were, and what possibly should change.

I did one track day (which I posted a couple of pics on a different thread which you commented on IIRC) and used centre point focusing in whichever is the middle option for AF.. (can't remember if that is Servo or AI focus.. I think AI).. I was trying to pan and keep my subject generally in the middle of the frame anyway, so not sure if any "passing" occurred to the outer AF points or not. Even with subjects coming towards me and then across in front of me, it seemed ok and certainly no worse than my old 500D. :)

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »

Thanks... I will check out the menus again.. I think I did when I got the camera about a month ago but not sure if I changed anything.

I have not really had a problem, but wanted to review what my settings were, and what possibly should change.

I did one track day (which I posted a couple of pics on a different thread which you commented on IIRC) and used centre point focusing in whichever is the middle option for AF.. (can't remember if that is Servo or AI focus.. I think AI).. I was trying to pan and keep my subject generally in the middle of the frame anyway, so not sure if any "passing" occurred to the outer AF points or not. Even with subjects coming towards me and then across in front of me, it seemed ok and certainly no worse than my old 500D. :)

If you selected center point, then no other points are active.  This is the bare bones AF approach, obviously not as sophisticated or developed as the 7D's and 5D3's AF.  You can only either select one of the points, or else engage them all (similar to how their lesser DSLR cameras work, yes.)

I generally don't use AI Focus.  I like to use "one shot" mode, then hold the depth of field preview button to engage servo mode.  Works perfectly with any hand-held lens...not quite as good when using a monopod.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
I like to use "one shot" mode, then hold the depth of field preview button to engage servo mode.  Works perfectly with any hand-held lens...not quite as good when using a monopod.

Do you reprogram the DOF preview button?
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
I generally don't use AI Focus.  I like to use "one shot" mode, then hold the depth of field preview button to engage servo mode. 

I used AI Focus on my T1i when I first got it - it sounded like the best of both worlds.   I quickly learned that the camera wasn't very good at deciding when a subject went from stationary to mobile.  Interestingly, AI Focus isn't even an option on the 1D X (nor is there a green square mode).

One Shot with a button press to switch to AI Servo works well - I have my M.Fn2 button (second button next to the DoF Preview) set for that.  However, I do wish it would toggle Servo on/off with successive presses, rather than only activating Servo while the button is held down. 

Another option is to use back-button AF - in Servo mode, focusing stops when you release the AF-ON button, so you can just tap that button to focus on a stationary subject (although you don't get a confirmation beep/light), or hold it down for a moving subject.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
I like to use "one shot" mode, then hold the depth of field preview button to engage servo mode.  Works perfectly with any hand-held lens...not quite as good when using a monopod.

Do you reprogram the DOF preview button?

Yes, that's the only way to do it.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
I generally don't use AI Focus.  I like to use "one shot" mode, then hold the depth of field preview button to engage servo mode. 

I used AI Focus on my T1i when I first got it - it sounded like the best of both worlds.   I quickly learned that the camera wasn't very good at deciding when a subject went from stationary to mobile.  Interestingly, AI Focus isn't even an option on the 1D X (nor is there a green square mode).

One Shot with a button press to switch to AI Servo works well - I have my M.Fn2 button (second button next to the DoF Preview) set for that.  However, I do wish it would toggle Servo on/off with successive presses, rather than only activating Servo while the button is held down. 

Another option is to use back-button AF - in Servo mode, focusing stops when you release the AF-ON button, so you can just tap that button to focus on a stationary subject (although you don't get a confirmation beep/light), or hold it down for a moving subject.

True, the 1 series don't bother with all the gobbledygook that's born out of the point and shoot feature set.  I have my 6D set so the "AF on" button turns off the autofocus...for those times when it wants to hunt, when there is a very bright contrasty object...usually behind...the target.  Almost seems like my 50D didn't get sucked into those focus traps as badly as the 6D does (but it's also lens dependent).  I can live with it though.  As for the 1DX not quite doing everything you want it to, don't you wish you could afford something better?  (haha)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »

Gilbo65

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
Action shots and focus??

Not as fast as my 7d, but:

1) better than many will have you believe
2) better than the price point would suggest, given it's FF and very good in low light

A couple of examples using some fast moving subjects in varied light:

Mountain Bike:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22983840@N08/8622403310/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22983840@N08/9722589071/

Rugby in very poor winter light (heavy rain clouds and had to give up with the 7D):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22983840@N08/8653559828/

Yes, the 7D has the cross-points and the FPS - and this still makes me choose it when the lighting conditions allow. But if the light drops?  I don't hesitate to transfer over from my 7D to the 6D.

Overall, quite a surprise..

Khalai

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Let there be (flattering) light!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »
Action shots and focus??

Not as fast as my 7d, but:

1) better than many will have you believe
2) better than the price point would suggest, given it's FF and very good in low light

Yes, the 7D has the cross-points and the FPS - and this still makes me choose it when the lighting conditions allow. But if the light drops?  I don't hesitate to transfer over from my 7D to the 6D.

Overall, quite a surprise..

+1, After a few months with 6D, even the outer AF points which are non-cross-type are quite reliable. My experience is that it either nails the focus or fails to lock at all (very small percentage of shots, no contrast, no lines, basicly every PDAF would most likely fail). The 7D is better, as I also have one, no doubt about that, but for anything other than fast moving subject requiring sophisticated AF servo, the 6D is sufficient enough
6D | 7D | 16-35/4L | 24-70/2.8L II | 50/1.4 (release 50/1.4 II already!) | 100/2.8L | 70-200/2.8L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »