August 23, 2014, 01:54:07 AM

Author Topic: Odd AF microadjustment behavior with a new lens  (Read 1267 times)

nsurg

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Odd AF microadjustment behavior with a new lens
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:31:09 AM »
I received a new zoom lens today I've been playing with and noticed on reviewing the info of some photos that it has AF + or - settings with a variety of numbers, seemingly at random, on most of the photos.

I'm shooting a 5d3 with a new 70-200 2.8 ii lens.  The lens just on the camera prior to this was a sigma 50 1.4.  The sigma front focuses horribly, despite 2 trips to sigma for recalibration, so on my 5d it corrects well at the max setting of +20, which is set for that sigma lens.  What's odd is I have never set any AF microadjust numbers for my other lenses (thanks, canon, for not needing it), and I certainly didn't set them for the new 70-200 2.8 ii.

Even when I went into the AF microadjust settings for the 5d3 I did not see anything set other than 0 for the new 70-200 lens (the camera was set to "adjust by lens" but the settings there were zero).

It seems to have corrected itself after opening the settings for the new lens, changing to a random nonzero, then re-zeroing the number.

There's no way the new lens had embedded AF adjust data, is there?  Perhaps I'm just crazy or missing something.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Odd AF microadjustment behavior with a new lens
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »
Definitely odd. No, Canon lenses don't store AFMA values. If it recurs, I'd say a call to Canon is in order...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Odd AF microadjustment behavior with a new lens
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
It shouldn't do that obviously, If it is still happening, do a camera reset, remove the battery for 5 minutes or so, and try again.  If it is still happening, since its a new lens, it is possibly related, and you might have to exchange it.  While lenses do not store AFMA, they do store the AF calibration settings done at the factory or service center, and there could be a firmware issue or communication issue.