April 17, 2014, 11:42:48 PM

Author Topic: Photography magazines  (Read 28044 times)

localhost

Re: Photography magazines
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »
There are many free online tutorial sites - just search for them. And do the following:
1. read article(s)
2. practice, practice, practice ....

after few months you'll have some ideas whats 'extra' info you want and how to get it - class or magazine.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

Kcray85

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. I figured the magazines that I grabbed at the airport last week (outdoor photographer and shutter something) wouldn't be mentioned highly as they only had about 1-2 articles each that were of interest, it sounds like its more of the same elsewhere.

artsmalley

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
I am about 6 months into photography as a hobby and live in the US. I am looking for some helpful magazines that some of you find enjoyable on a monthly basis.  I am into sports, HDR and landscape photography. I am always looking for new information on new gear, software and techniques.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am not currently subscribed to any right now.

Honestly the only thing I have found the magazines good for is really basic information on new gear...even then I wind up going to the web and googling for additional information. I have not learned much in terms of technique from the various magazines. After a long period of buying different ones at book stores and reading them I decided not to subscribe to any. Instead I buy some topic specific books here and there, find articles and reviews on the web, and watch some of the B&H videos on YouTube, etc.

tgara

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »
The problem with photography magazines is that most of them are out of date the moment they are published.  That said, I find the UK publication EOS Magazine to be the most informative magazine for Canon cameras. Every issue discusses new gear as well as basic and advanced photography techniques using the Canon system.  It's not cheap to subscribe if you live in the US like I do, but it is well worth it. I find this magazine head and shoulders above the other photography magazines out there today.

http://www.eos-magazine.com

nonac

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. I figured the magazines that I grabbed at the airport last week (outdoor photographer and shutter something) wouldn't be mentioned highly as they only had about 1-2 articles each that were of interest, it sounds like its more of the same elsewhere.

I buy a magazine or two from a newsstand periodically if I see something of interest in it.  Shutterbug is the magazine you were trying to think of I'll bet.  That thing is 95% advertising and is absolutely worthless. I've bought it before and won't make that mistake again!
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

jp121

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »
Magazine subscriptions are much cheaper via itunes/ipad. It takes a bit to get used to. But i am to buy magazines from all over the world. And they are much cheaper than news stand prices.
5DM3 | 50 f/1.2L | 100 f/2.8L MACRO IS | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-105 f/4 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »
I just picked up two issues of Photo Plus - Canon. It's a great magazine and I might just subscribe to it. Thanks for the heads up.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »

David Hull

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
I am about 6 months into photography as a hobby and live in the US. I am looking for some helpful magazines that some of you find enjoyable on a monthly basis.  I am into sports, HDR and landscape photography. I am always looking for new information on new gear, software and techniques.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am not currently subscribed to any right now.

I subscribe to several but as many have suggested after you have subscribed for a while the material tends to repeat. 

Three of my favorites are:

1. Digital PhotoPro -- bi-monthly this one has lots of good articles on photographers showing their work some good technical stuff as well.  Claims to be targeted at Pros but Hobyiests can learn a lot here.

2. Lens work -- oriented toward B&W but the work in there is always inspiring.

3. Black & White -- this mag is oriented toward collectors of photography but like Lens Work, it is quite inspiring.

If you are looking for how-to magazines about technique and gear, try Popular Photography and Outdoor Photographer.   You will outgrow these eventually – I am starting to get to that point.

I would also recommend loading up iTunes and subscribing to some podcasts – those are free.

1.   Martin Bailey Podcast
2.   This Week in Photo
3.   Digital Photography Café’
4.   The Art of Photography
5.   The Candid Frame
6.   Lens Work Podcast
7.   Nik Radio
8.   Tips from the top floor

Do a search on the iTunes Store and find a few you like.  There are literaly dozens of these -- all free.  If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod (or other MP3 type device) you can take these with you, listen during lunch, while exercising, taking a walk, driving etc.  Excellent source of free info – highly recommended.

These are the photography orented ones, you can find ones targeting lightroom, photoshop, Lighting, etc. etc.

Also, there are a lot of good blogs out there.  I think these days, teh internet is your friend :-)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:12:52 AM by David Hull »

David Hull

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »

I buy a magazine or two from a newsstand periodically if I see something of interest in it.  Shutterbug is the magazine you were trying to think of I'll bet.  That thing is 95% advertising and is absolutely worthless. I've bought it before and won't make that mistake again!

I am glad to hear someone else say that.  That was the first one I dumped.  Worthless, worthless, worthless.

crasher8

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
I'm going to go buy one today and I'll tell you later tonight what I got out of it.

subashseo

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »
Photographic and digital imaging equipment reviews, company updates, business management information, and profiles of photographers.

Nazareth

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »
playboy magazine is a great photography magazine- j/k

If you want to learn soem great basics, and get soem pretty good inspiration, check out Bryan Peterson on Youtube- He's got a lot of pretty good short to the point videos- And another youtube photographer type in 'for knows photo' although be aware he uses course language- but he's pretty good too- I think Rick Sammon has a number of youtue videos too- I've picked up several pretty good tips- Look for videos on youtube by soem of hte well known photographers- they usually do short videos to promote their site and courses- Carl Taylor is a good practical knowledgeable photographer too on youtube-

Pixel

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
As far as I'm concerned Digital Photo Pro is the gold standard of photo periodicals. Popular Photography makes me puke when I read it. It's nothing but a shill for the advertisers. They wouldn't dare take a manufacturer to task for anything. I'm not saying others mags are going to bash their advertisers, but Digital Photo Pro goes out of their way to write compelling, relevant, and informative articles that don't read like regurgitated manufacturer press releases.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »

David Hull

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:08 PM »
As far as I'm concerned Digital Photo Pro is the gold standard of photo periodicals. Popular Photography makes me puke when I read it. It's nothing but a shill for the advertisers. They wouldn't dare take a manufacturer to task for anything. I'm not saying others mags are going to bash their advertisers, but Digital Photo Pro goes out of their way to write compelling, relevant, and informative articles that don't read like regurgitated manufacturer press releases.

Yep... I completely agree.  DPP is the one magazene that I do not think I will ever outgrow.  Popular Photography is one notch above Shutterbug IMO.

jthomson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
I subscribed to Photo Plus when I first started in photography and it was nice, since I needed something basic but technical. aGree with others, after exactly one year, noticed the material was basically recycled, so stopped then. The video tutorials were nice, though, as I started working with Elements. Now I pickup a few here and there from the bookstore when something catches my eye. Usually at the airport, when waiting for a flight.
+1 on the recommendation for a class. The best money I invested was a Saturday class at the local community college. Enough to get started well and a chance to ask questions from a professional.

Enjoy the new found hobby!

+1
 I picked up a couple of copies of Photo Plus  at the newsstand then subscribed for a year.   Definitely learned quite a bit from them,  but I didn't renew the subscription as I found that I outgrew them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »