Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Canon EF 50 f/1.2L

(1/32) > >>

Canon Rumors:
Discuss the review of the EF 50 f/1.2L

vscd:
In my opinion this lense is a shame for the given price. It's well build and wheather sealed and of course this counts sometimes more than anything else, but if you check out the testresults (f.e.:)

...you can't use the open aperture for something except art and you have to get down to at least f2.5 to get a sharp picture. So you pay a lot more for a fraction of a EV-step you can't even use and you have better results with the 50mm 1.4 up to aperture 2.5 and more (!). Just save the money and get the 100mm 2.8 Macro L IS as extra lense for the same price, together.

The 85mm 1.2 L II is the total difference, the 85mm is marvelous. But the 50mm is to be replaced, soon. Hopefully. If your company buys you the stuff or the buildquality is imnportant, get it. If you collect red rings, get it too. Otherwise... save the money.

Edit:   Just to compare it to the Canon 50mm 1.4:

RS2021:
Roger Cicala of lensrental sums it up nicely...this is a highly controversial lens with users divided on liking it or hating it.

For a key, standard prime flagship L lens this shouldn't be the case.

For the price point, if you have to explain this, that, or the other (between f1.2 and f 2.8 it is sharper than my aunt's tongue...blah blah)... sorry...it should just work... No explanations should be necessary.

Matthew Saville:
I'm sorry but, the only reason the 50 1.2 is so highly regarded is because Canon intentionally leaves the 50 1.4 as such a piece of crap.  It is a classic "entice to upgrade" tactic.  I know this is going to sound like flame bait but as a Nikon user myself, since we simply do not have f/1.2 (with autofocus) as an option thus far, Nikon has gone the opposite route:  Both their f/1.4 and f/1.8 50mm's are absolutely killer.  My 50mm f/1.8 AFS-G has identical sharpness to the Canon 50 1.2 L at f/1.8, and it cost me $200.

I totally agree that with their larger lens mount, Canon will always be the king of bokeh, and f/1.2 is f/1.2.  But just some food for thought.  Personally, though I own Nikon I do shoot both Nikon and Canon, and what I'd love to see from Canon is a better 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8, those two options are much more practical for the masses.  Part of the whole point of primes, in my opinion, is to be light and small.  Both of the Canon 1.2 primes are downright "compensating for something" size, I feel like many pros only buy them as a status symbol when they don't even come close to pushing the envelope far enough to actually need the DOF that the f/1.2 offers; they would create identical images if Canon had a sharp-as-heck f/1.4 or f/1.8 with solid construction.  Heck even my 50 1.8 has a weather sealing gasket!

Respectfully,
=Matt=

ecka:
Sigmalux is still the best fast fifty ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version