July 30, 2014, 07:45:36 PM

Author Topic: Problem with the Canonrumors Website  (Read 4837 times)

RendrLab

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the Canonrumors Website
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »
It's not an every single time kind of problem. It seems to happen the most when I go from the Forums, back to the main page. As soon as I see there is no new story posted on the top of the main page, I will close while it is loading the rest of the content and then it happens. So far, I have been unable to pinpoint the exact time it happens or the exact series of events that bring it about. I'm usually on here and off again pretty quickly while I'm at work.
Also, as I said before, the problem has never occured on my Win 8 machine at home or any other browser I tend to use, which is all but Safari.
I'm obviously not alone (see insanitybeard's post above), and I am not expecting some miracle fix. I was just checking to see how many other people (if any) were experiencing the same problem, and to see if anyone knew of a fix, or if THE CR website coding had a flaw.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:17 PM »
I access the website from multiple computers, Win 7 32-bit and 64-bit, on IE8, IE9 and Chrome(v24.0), and haven't had any such issue happen with CR.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
No, there is no Spyware, Virus or Worm and I do know that for a fact as I have more than enough experience with computer security to know the difference.

I wasn't really suggesting that the source of your problem is spyware, but couldn't help to post an off-topic remark concerning your certainty because I as a somewhat it-security nerd doubt that the fancier kind of spyware like government trojans are easily recognized - but those probably won't mess up CR :-p

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
...., it is very annoying, especially if I am not fast with the mouse-click to close all the Windows that open as they will continue to replicate. Any ideas anyone?
CTRL+W will close windows as fast as they open, faster than new ones can spawn.
40 on 6

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
No question the problem is not with CR, but it's a local issue for you.
Hardware or software? Check with the geeky guys.

-PW

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
No question the problem is not with CR, but it's a local issue for you.
Hardware or software? Check with the geeky guys.

-PW

+1
I've never encountered any issues with CR with Firefox, Chrome, IE or Safari.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
Also, it only happens on my work PC currently (windows 7 x64)... Any ideas anyone?

An idea: use your work PC for work, and not surfing Canon Rumors?   :P   Just a suggestion (and a sardonic one, at that).  And before the cries of pot and kettle surface, let me state for the record that I bring my personal laptop to work, and use that to surf CR.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
The JS rendering engine is the most proprietary and slowest of all of the browsers.  I work with automation software and it is, by far, the most particular and problematic (over anything built on WebKit like Chrome and Safari or Firefox).

"The box said requires windows xp or better, so I installed Linux"

Aside from malware (again, what did you do to determine you have none), genearlly this is something breaking JavaScript, or rather, rendering it incorrectly (unpactched IE or 3rd party software [like ad blockers, antivirus etc])

Google search comes ahead with things like internet explorer opens many tabs -- most of the responses say 'malware'

Erm...you do know that Firefox is built on the Gecko rendering with it's own JS engine, currently called IonMonkey in FF18. Chrome has Google's V8 JS engine, and Safari has the Nitro JS engine.

And proprietary is a relative term. Especially with Google's V8 engine, which is at the core of NodeJS. That and all of the Mozilla engines are F/OSS and can be re-used, modified, updated, etc with various minimal restrictions elsewhere, or even if your own browser. Hardly proprietary.

I'll grant you that Javascript is a pain in the a** in a lot of circumstances, especially with it comes to edge cases and browser compatibility. I will say that IE6-8 are the worst of the lot, with IE9 and IE10 (haven't worked with either, but read quite a bit) are significantly better at adhering to standards and fixing bugs.

Good read.  I definitely have to work the term "SquirrelFish" into a conversation in the next day or two :)

I *was* being overly general.  Words I tend to misuse slightly are "proprietary" and "non-standard" - to which I almost always mean "not what most everyone else is doing" ;D

Both helping JS devs and automating for JS, I have to say that the rule of thumb is if it works on anything other than MS, it'll work on almost everything that's not MS, then we have to make adjustments for IE.

What kills me is that IE 8 for XP and IE 8 for Win7 appear to be completely different products.  :o
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
For me, it happened with Nikon rumors.  I checked on Cgrome, IE, and mozilla, and it happened on all three.  Removing the offending software fixed it.  This has been a common issue over the years with many users.  Different ones claim to have fixed it many different ways.
You can try removing recently installed software, and removing or disabling internet add-ons.  The tip off to a software issue came when I tried a different computer and it had no problem.  Before that, I ran several malware removers to no avail.  Its been 6 months and I can't recall which software, but it might have been Java.

RendrLab

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »
Also, it only happens on my work PC currently (windows 7 x64)... Any ideas anyone?

An idea: use your work PC for work, and not surfing Canon Rumors?   :P   Just a suggestion (and a sardonic one, at that).  And before the cries of pot and kettle surface, let me state for the record that I bring my personal laptop to work, and use that to surf CR.   ;)
I surf while at work on my company PC cause I have it nice like that  ;). I setup the entire network and built many of the custom workstations we use, so I have free reign of my time (to the point that I can play a match or two of World of Tanks while the boss is watching the battle.) Sorry, but I have it too good not to say something after the abuse of company time/resources comment.
As for the problem with the page load, it has only happened once since I posted this so I guess I'll just live with it occasionally happening as it is just a momentary PITA

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »
And before the cries of pot and kettle surface, let me state for the record that I bring my personal laptop to work, and use that to surf CR.

LOL!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »