July 29, 2014, 12:41:32 AM

Author Topic: Kenrockwell comments on Canon 6d  (Read 27327 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
Re: Kenrockwell comments on Canon 6d
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
I am a 5D MKII user who has been waiting for a real value on the MKIII.  I don't intend to sell my MKII, but plan to keep it for a backup and second FF body.  The 6D has not been on my radar, but the more that I have read about its image quality and some key things with the WiFi remote functionality, the more I realized that its weaknesses are not huge for me.  The AF is superior to my MKII, and I have been very successful as a photographer with my MKII.

The burst rate is faster than my MKII, and I've survived with that.
It has much more bracketing options, and I use bracketing.
It still shares batteries with my MKII and 60D.
I can MFA lenses in two positions like the MKIII.

It's negatives are not deal-breakers for me (I do wish the AF had more points), and it's positives are things that matter to me.  So when I began to consider that, and saw that here in Canada because of the sale I could get one for $1890 before tax from an actual retailer that I have done business with in the past, I took the plunge.  Mine will be arriving next week.

I don't agree with a lot of what Ken Rockwell says, but I have to say that his conclusion regarding functionality for me meant something, as did Bryan Carnethan's positive impressions.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »

I don't agree with a lot of what Ken Rockwell says, but I have to say that his conclusion regarding functionality for me meant something, as did Bryan Carnethan's positive impressions.

+1

Rockwell's review was also a factor in my decision to buy a 6D over a 5D3.  After roughly a month with the 6D, I am very pleased with that decision.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:00:18 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Boyer U. Klum-Cey

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
Among the sites I frequent, Rockwell has probably saved me $ over time.  He, and others, frequently say:(paraphrased) 'if you are not a full time pro, this upgrade is probably not worth it for you".  That said, I'm am enjoying my week old MkIII.
All theories are wrong, but some are useful, eh?

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
Among the sites I frequent, Rockwell has probably saved me $ over time.  He, and others, frequently say:(paraphrased) 'if you are not a full time pro, this upgrade is probably not worth it for you".  That said, I'm am enjoying my week old MkIII.

I do photography as a professional, but not a full time professional.  I do view my equipment as tools rather than toys, but try not to purchase anything that isn't covered by photography profits (and thus taken out of my or my family's livelihood).  As a result I do try to be discriminate in my photography spending.  It's expensive enough even doing that, but I have learned that I don't always have to have the very best.  I would be thrilled to have placed the order for the 5DMKIII...but I am also very happy to have ordered the 6D.  Sometimes you just have to make the decision to live within your means.

But at the same time I am thrilled for anyone who can enjoy fine photography gear.  There is something special about using a well crafted and engineered piece of equipment.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

BrettS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »
You can usually tell stupid folk by their opinions, and you're doing a grand job.

+1, and perhaps I could add:

You can usually tell stupid folk by the vehemence of their opinions.

Goes back to what I was taught as a kid, if you don't have anything good to say about someone, perhaps it's better to not say anything at all.

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »
I do photography as a professional, but not a full time professional.  I do view my equipment as tools rather than toys, but try not to purchase anything that isn't covered by photography profits (and thus taken out of my or my family's livelihood).  As a result I do try to be discriminate in my photography spending.  It's expensive enough even doing that, but I have learned that I don't always have to have the very best.  I would be thrilled to have placed the order for the 5DMKIII...but I am also very happy to have ordered the 6D.  Sometimes you just have to make the decision to live within your means.

But at the same time I am thrilled for anyone who can enjoy fine photography gear.  There is something special about using a well crafted and engineered piece of equipment.
You will be happy with the 6D. It's a stellar improvement over the 5D2, and if you shoot weddings you'll love the silent shutter too!

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
Goes back to what I was taught as a kid, if you don't have anything good to say about someone, perhaps it's better to not say anything at all.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Been on KR site and been able to get some bits of info there as well. People are entitled to their own opinion and it is upon one's self to make their own decisions.

I've heard (and seen) a lot of good things about the 6D. It would be the FF camera I will be getting when I upgrade from croppped. Certainly within my means and would be more than enough as a tool (or toy) to support this hobby.
Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »

I admire you. I wish I had your self control.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »
Kenrockwell hails Canon 6d compared to Nikon d600 and Canon 5d mark III. What do you guys have to say about this?

That you are he and you are posting this crazy headline to drive more traffic to your site so you can support your growing family with its 'starving' children in your mansion in ritzy La Jolla.  ;) ;D
Well played sir, well played.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:13:17 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 02:25:34 AM »
Wait...he really has a mansion in La Jolla and a Mercedes or Porsche?? Wow...that's a lot of $5 donations :o
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 02:59:17 AM »
Wait...he really has a mansion in La Jolla and a Mercedes or Porsche?? Wow...that's a lot of $5 donations :o
and clicks on the links,

maybe the most fun part of this is that I had never heard about Ken Rockwell before I started to frequent this site about 18 months ago, but then someone started ranting about him here so obviously I had to check it out, now I check out his site regularly as part of making up my opinion on something or learning about stuff.  8)

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:55 AM »
If you go and do accomplished work with a rebel and g15,.....is the same with showing at work as a realtor in cheap suit and tennis shoes and pretending you are successful.
Danika Patrick in Cavalier,....Go race,....The car does not matter,...it's the driver.

"Cameras do not matter"is stupid,.....Lenses do not matter,.... is even worse.

Yes,.... a moron with a good camera can be outdone by a pro with an I phone but I do not see any of these IPhone praising super pros like Annie Leibovitz showing up on a job with an I phone because,..... CAMERA MATTERS.

If you do not have 1000$ to spend on a good camera but you have 500$ to spend on a G15,.....you are indeed accomplished in,... not being very bright.
OK, in that case, show us some of your photos and let everyone decide who is "very bright" or a "moron".

Yes Magnardo, you have built up all these expectations now7

Especially with the comment:
'After you described your best picture,.....I rest my case.'

We really really want to see some of your great art.
Looks like Magnardo took his Magnificent tail between his you know where where and ran for cover. I noticed that whenever people talk 5hit about other photographers or equipment, just ask them to post their photos and they tend to run like cowards. I notice that accomplished photographers usually never talk 5hit about other photographers or equipment ... they may criticize their work but it is usually positive criticism about how the photographer or the equipment can improve, but they definitely do not indulge in the kind of stuff our great Magnardo has been indulging in or some others who call Ken Rockwell or anyone else a "clown" or any other such names.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Magnardo

• Power Shot G16
  • Beauty exists even if the beholder is blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »

, there is so much comedy gold and contradiction here it's unreal.

"1000$ on a good camera."

I'm not knocking this in itself, because 1000$ (or even $1000) would buy you a good camera.  It would buy you a rebel.  It would buy you a 60D.  At a push it might even buy you a 7D.  Are these the good cameras you mean?

I have a 7D and I can vouch that it is a good camera.  I'm also acutely aware that the sensor and processor is the same as in my T3i.  And that lens for lens, setting for setting, sports and and nature aside, I'll get pretty much interchangable results.  The 7D wins out for sports and nature, and viewfinder quality and handling. 
90% of the time I am entirely happy to use the t3i.

I am with you up to a point on the lenses, but don't confuse cost with quality.  One of my favourite best performing lenses is the relatively humble 100mm f2.0 USM.   My Sigma 70mm is also pretty darned exceptional.  I was underwhelmed with the 17-40 when I owned it, but that said I would use it in pretty rough conditions like the speedway track in the rain, without fear of failure.  I prefered my old 200mm f2.8L to my current zoom, but I need the flexibility for video, I could have spent $1000's more on the f2.0, or $1000 more on the IS mk2 zoom, but I'm smart enough to know about the law of diminishing returns, and buy the kit I need, rather than buy the kit I need to make up for any lack of self-esteem or ability.  Besides that $1000 would get my SQN a full service, or get me an extra m416, or let me get a Sachtler rather than Vinten.
It's all about spending money where it's important.

I don't work in real estate, I work in video production for Europes largest publisher.  I get to wear sneakers and jeans to my work because I'm in the creative dept.  I don't have an ego at all, quite the opposite I'm actually very modest, shy almost.  Folk judge me on my work, some of it made on the humble T3i, some of it made on a PMW-350, whichever suits the task in hand.   I don't need to wear a suit or a big watch for folk to take me seriously (although I do like my big watches, which shall I wear today, my Tag or my Omega, ach the Omega needs winding and setting, I'll just wear the Tag) and it's the same with the camera gear.  I have storyboards pulled apart, I have location managers climbing the walls when I start asking about mains phasing, when I filmed with Rod Stewart recently he was very particular about the angle of my camera and the position and power of the light.  But I can honestly say I've never had anybody challenge my choice of camera. 

And Annie Leibovitz might not turn up with an iphone, but she'd probably be professional enough not to scoff at $1000 DSLR users from behind her Hasselblad DMF.    And she would probably be quite interested in somebody with a G15, as a G10 was for a long time her choice of pocket camera.

But that's the bar your setting for comparison to your standards is it? Annie Leibovitz? Thats the level you're at I take it?

You have the touch of the littljohn or the clarkson about you, except they can put their incendary troll-like opinions into reasonable english.

And if your argument is really that you can't get a good image out of a Rebel, or that using a Rebel makes you stupid then I'm afraid you really are talking out of your backside.

You can usually tell stupid folk by their opinions, and you're doing a grand job.

Everyone knows 100 f2,....is one of the best Canon lenses ever made. And that is not humble at all.

Rod Stewart would have been great for dropping names ,....about 20 years ago.

I never called anyone stupid so far. That's where we differ.
In today's brain frying digital overexposure,...it happens a lot,.....people have brain assumptions completing their thoughts about real things and believe those as reality,....but those are nothing else but farts,...and in the end they smell bad because farts usually do.
You have a lot of arguments fighting off things I never said,... so your memory might be a little confused.
I am sure it happens to Rod Stewart now days.

The $1000 vs 1000$,... English Assessment argument,... is great,.... for third grade,....Bravo!
Well,.....some people truly mature at a slower rate.
My English?! I am quite happy with it,....and,....coming from a different background, where it plays the role of a second language,.... it does great for me.
Unless you are a language guru that thinks everyone should be one,....you have just proved another self induced mental blockage.
Since your behavior is indicative of self centered "experts" that only speak one language and think Latvia is a fruit,...it is not a surprise at all.
Classic Rockwell,....People looking down at other people because their native language was not English or they belong to a place where,.... the priority is not to "bring freedom" to all people that have oil,..... while in other destinations of the world,....at the exact time,.....people are being chopped down with machetes with no one caring.

Great Rockwell advice buddy! You must love him,.....He thought his disciples well,....
Save money on lenses and camera,....and then go and buy TWo 3000$ watches,...because nothing else matters when drowned in Hypocrisy.

(see how I keep doing this $ as I like,..Nice.)

And yes,...I compare myself to all the Great Photographers I admire,....while I try to climb the same steps,...and that is the best thing anyone can do.
Nobody climbs any mountains without looking at the peak as a final destination and evaluation point.
Try to find your voice while listening to the music created by others.
Probably you were more concentrated in on English in school and overlooked Philosophy and Logic courses,....but that is understandable with people that have a certain passion.

Bresson,Steichen,Brassai are my giants.

Not self-centered and arrogant Leibowitz.
She was lucky that John Lennon got shot.

At least you have the guts to try and say something ,....as opposed to those other two clappers,...which post "Great message Paul" after each one of yours.
Kissing behinds and brown nosing,....because of undeveloped Self ,...is not a new sport and has been around for years and years.
I understand,....these pople need a voice also.

My advice to you,...My dear PAul,.... is stop judging people if,.... sometime before, in your life,.....you came to the deep conclusion that it is best not to judge people.
Hypocrisy is Bliss but also see-through for those not too busy clapping.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:05:28 AM by Magnardo »
Beauty exists even if the beholder is blind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »

Magnardo

• Power Shot G16
  • Beauty exists even if the beholder is blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »
If you go and do accomplished work with a rebel and g15,.....is the same with showing at work as a realtor in cheap suit and tennis shoes and pretending you are successful.
Danika Patrick in Cavalier,....Go race,....The car does not matter,...it's the driver.

Yes,.... a moron with a good camera can be outdone by a pro with an I phone but I do not see any of these IPhone praising super pros like Annie Leibovitz showing up on a job with an I phone because,..... CAMERA MATTERS.

If you do not have 1000$ to spend on a good camera but you have 500$ to spend on a G15,.....you are indeed accomplished in,... not being very bright.
OK, in that case, show us some of your photos and let everyone decide who is "very bright" or a "moron".

Looks like Magnardo took his Magnificent tail between his you know where where and ran for cover. I noticed that whenever people talk 5hit about other photographers or equipment, just ask them to post their photos and they tend to run like cowards. I notice that accomplished photographers usually never talk 5hit about other photographers or equipment ... they may criticize their work but it is usually positive criticism about how the photographer or the equipment can improve, but they definitely do not indulge in the kind of stuff our great Magnardo has been indulging in or some others who call Ken Rockwell or anyone else a "clown" or any other such names.

You are also deeply confused buddy,.....Never called anyone a "Clown" in any of my messages.
.....Unless you want to be one.
I do not need you to judge me,....I am content with who I am.
Honestly,....why would I want to be judged by you?!
What would your acceptance do for me?
Are you someone important,...whose opinion I value?
I am sure you know the answer.

You know what?

Just clap your hands and praise Rockwell and anyone that praises him,.... it is all it is required of you.
That's what you seem to be good at.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:07:17 AM by Magnardo »
Beauty exists even if the beholder is blind.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »

You are also deeply confused buddy,.....Never called anyone a "Clown" in any of my messages.
.....Unless you want to be one.
I do not need you to judge me,....I am content with who I am.
Honestly,....why would I want to be judged by you?!
What would your acceptance do for me?
Are you someone important,...whose opinion I value?
I am sure you know the answer.

You know what?

Just clap your hands and praise Rockwell and anyone the praises him,.... it is all it is required of you.
That's what you seem to be good at.
So what you are saying is that you've got no photo worth showing other than bad mouth people & equipment.
You seem to have no problem in posting very lengthy rants and replies (but when it comes to posting a photo made by you, so everyone can see that your rants are backed by your actions, you are hiding behind "why  would I want to be judged by you?!"), which is a contradiction to your "why would I want to be judged by you?!" stand
Finally, learn to read properly, I never said you called anyone a clown ... read again and see what I said.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:19:47 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »