October 23, 2017, 08:35:26 PM

Author Topic: New 6D and M42 lenses capability.  (Read 49448 times)

bigdaddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: New 6D and M42 lenses capability.
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
Hallo Mouse,

here is a site that might help you with your question.

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

Bigdaddy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
Hello! I have tested SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5.It works fine.Super takumar 135mm f3.5 is same.Except Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 hang mirror on my canon 6d

SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 by nghia3d, on Flickr

Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 by nghia3d, on Flickr

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 by nghia3d, on Flickr

Hey ! I thought the Takumar 135 f/3.5 was my secret !

I don't use it very often but it gives me a good laugh. It's a tiny lens, and really quite good. People are quite prepared to buy an f4 24-105, or f4 70-200, yet virtually nobody wants an f3.5 135 prime lens nowadays.

It's about quarter the size of an EF 135 L. Canon slr lenses have got so BIG in the last twenty years - 40 pancake not withstanding.

Many thanks to Dustin for originally getting me interested in using Takumars on the EOS system. They are fabulous. In the days when I was a young lad and my father had his Pentax Spotmatic I had no idea how good the lenses were.

Mouse Potato

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 03:28:37 PM »
Hallo Mouse,

Bigdaddy

Thank you for the fast response.

I read this site and I found that both lenses hit the mirror when focused to infinity. What does that mean? Theoriticaly they can cause damage to my camera's mirror. What can I do?

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
You can't do a thing about mirror interference. Some SMC Taks do, some don't. Not worth wrecking your camera.

Mouse Potato

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
You can't do a thing about mirror interference. Some SMC Taks do, some don't. Not worth wrecking your camera.

I want to try them but it is surely pointless if there is a posibility to harm your ff cam. The only "solution" I can think of is by taking photos only via liveview. Or am I wrong?

Snodge

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 04:08:57 PM »
I have the MIR 1B and it is fine on my 5D3, so should also be fine on the 6D too. I also have a Helios 44-2 which is fine, I don't know if there is much difference between it and the other versions though...

bigdaddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
When I first got into looking a manual lenses, I was trying to find a Helios, and if I remember correctly, the 44-4 will not work in the 6D, which I also have.

The infinity Problem comes when trying to focus on far objects. The Mirror hangs and it can be damaged. The best thing to do is to get lenses that do not have this problem. There are a lot of good lenses out there. Another option is to look for a mod for your lens, some can work if you file off the back lip on the lens, although I do not advocate maiming these old lenses, but to each their own.

Bigdaddy

Hallo Mouse,

Bigdaddy

I read this site and I found that both lenses hit the mirror when focused to infinity. What does that mean? Theoriticaly they can cause damage to my camera's mirror. What can I do?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »

StudentOfLight

• EOS 5DS R
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »

I want to try them but it is surely pointless if there is a posibility to harm your ff cam. The only "solution" I can think of is by taking photos only via liveview. Or am I wrong?
Why not use a short extension tube. This moves the lens forward away from the mirror.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  18-28mm f/2, 28-85mm f/2, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

Mouse Potato

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »
I have the MIR 1B and it is fine on my 5D3, so should also be fine on the 6D too. I also have a Helios 44-2 which is fine, I don't know if there is much difference between it and the other versions though...

Strange because as I can see at compatibility chart the MIR 1B hits the mirror at infinity. I am totally confused! :p

When I first got into looking a manual lenses, I was trying to find a Helios, and if I remember correctly, the 44-4 will not work in the 6D, which I also have.

The infinity Problem comes when trying to focus on far objects. The Mirror hangs and it can be damaged. The best thing to do is to get lenses that do not have this problem. There are a lot of good lenses out there. Another option is to look for a mod for your lens, some can work if you file off the back lip on the lens, although I do not advocate maiming these old lenses, but to each their own.

Bigdaddy

Hallo Mouse,

Bigdaddy

Thanks for the response, Bigdaddy!

Mouse Potato

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »

Why not use a short extension tube. This moves the lens forward away from the mirror.

Due to extra (and high) cost. Did you test it?

StudentOfLight

• EOS 5DS R
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »

No, I didn't test it. I merely asked out of interest. I should probably have phrase myself better.

Kenko extension tubes are really cheap compared to most other photographic equipment. Surely you must know at least one photographer friend who has a set of extension tubes. The 12mm extension tube might move the rear of the lens forward enough to provide clearance for the mirror movement, the only question is if you will have a useful focus distance. If you are shooting small subjects or macro then it might be an option worth considering.

As an example, with Kenko 12mm extension tube I am able to safely use the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM on the 6D. The obvious side effect of the extension tube is that I lose the ability to focus at infinity.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:39:58 AM by StudentOfLight »
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  18-28mm f/2, 28-85mm f/2, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »

No, I didn't test it. I merely asked out of interest. I should probably have phrase myself better.

Kenko extension tubes are really cheap compared to most other photographic equipment. Surely you must know at least one photographer friend who has a set of extension tubes. The 12mm extension tube might move the rear of the lens forward enough to provide clearance for the mirror movement, the only question is if you will have a useful focus distance. If you are shooting small subjects or macro then it might be an option worth considering.

As an example, with Kenko 12mm extension tube I am able to safely use the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM on the 6D. The obvious side effect of the extension tube is that I lose the ability to focus at infinity.

I'd have though you lose the ability to focus on virtually anything except close up don't you ?

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 12:35:33 PM »

Strange because as I can see at compatibility chart the MIR 1B hits the mirror at infinity. I am totally confused! :p

Bigdaddy

Hallo Mouse,

Bigdaddy

Thanks for the response, Bigdaddy!

Unfortunately what hangs for one person works for another and vice versa. There must be variability in the adapters. I've had the mirror hang occur dozens of times on many different bodies without any permanent damage.  You have to decide whether or not the minor risk is worth it for you
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 12:35:33 PM »

bigdaddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »
Hello,

you can probably find some cheap m42 extension rings. I see them a lot in the ebay classified. around 10 Euros for a set of three different sizes.

Bigdaddy

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
I've been playing with a copy of an SMC Tak 50mm f/1.4 that I got recently.  Here's one I just got working on.  Shot wide open (I believe).
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »