July 29, 2014, 06:53:36 PM

Author Topic: Where are you EOS 70D?  (Read 25589 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you EOS 70D?
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
Yesterday I shot macro near the ground in the snow, I couldn't have done that with the 6d - I'm happy to lie flat in the mud to get good shots, but not in the freezing snow for an extended time :-(
Full moon last night...and minus 29C..... Shooting straight up in the air and VERY happy to have a swivel screen.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
Yesterday I shot macro near the ground in the snow, I couldn't have done that with the 6d - I'm happy to lie flat in the mud to get good shots, but not in the freezing snow for an extended time :-(
Full moon last night...and minus 29C..... Shooting straight up in the air and VERY happy to have a swivel screen.

Kudos to you, I only shot @-5C (but with a wet boot after I figured out that a fox is able to walk on thinner ice than me) :-> ... but -5C is probably worse than lower temperatures because whenever I came into contact with snow it melted and then froze again :-o

Really, I think most people that hate swivel screens never used it with tripod shots, if the 6d had it I'd be much more enthusiastic about spending the €2000.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »

Outstanding! I applaud your spirit and I'll make sure to show your post to my wife. She thought that I had lost my marbles when I went out to shoot the sunrise the other day when it was (only) -7C.

Kudos to you, I only shot @-5C (but with a wet boot after I figured out that a fox is able to walk on thinner ice than me) :-> ... but -5C is probably worse than lower temperatures because whenever I came into contact with snow it melted and then froze again :-o

Hope and expect that you are OK ... A friend of mine had frostbite last year under similar circumstances and it wasn't good.

Really, I think most people that hate swivel screens never used it with tripod shots, if the 6d had it I'd be much more enthusiastic about spending the €2000.

+1 for very low level shots BUT EUR 2000 for the 6D ... THAT'S GOTTA HURT!
Light is language!

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
Outstanding! I applaud your spirit and I'll make sure to show your post to my wife. She thought that I had lost my marbles when I went out to shoot the sunrise the other day when it was (only) -7C.

Thanks for the good wishes, I only shot for about an hour and kept moving while the camera shot the brackets - I know it's time to quit when I start to loose the feeling in the feet after extensive experience when skiing in the swiss alps :-o ...

... but please tell your wife other photogs (i.e. me) think their best shots are from nighttime bracketed long exposure, right now it's snowing in Berlin and this night I plan to shoot some architecture with fresh snow :-)

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »
The 5D3 does not have an articulated screen. 60D does.

That's correct, I've got a 60d (see my equipment list).

What I tried to convey was that because even the video-king 5d3 hasn't got a swivel screen Canon didn't want to add it on the 60d-like 6d - because the 6d is obviously designed to have lower specs in any area save the center af light sensitivity as the "joker" against the Nikon 600d.

Articulating screens are the bane of weather sealing. The 5D line, being Canon's second-highest professional-grade line of cameras, is expected to have some of the best weather sealing that can be found in a camera. The addition of an articulating screen would make that nearly impossible to achieve to the degree it needs to be, difficult to achieve by any means.

If you look at the 1D line, it doesn't even use a rotating knob for the primary mode control...it uses buttons. It uses buttons because they are much easier to weather seal, and the seals are more effective than the seal for something that turns or rotates.

When it comes to professional grade cameras, even those that support video, an articulating screen is probably the last thing on any serious professional's mind.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »

... but please tell your wife other photogs (i.e. me) think their best shots are from nighttime bracketed long exposure, right now it's snowing in Berlin and this night I plan to shoot some architecture with fresh snow :-)

Thanks ... will do! Hope you get good shots!

OTOH being a hobbyist sometimes does not bode well with wives ... my wife already considers my cameras my first and most loved ...   ;)
Light is language!

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
Articulating screens are the bane of weather sealing.

I'm not debating a sealed swivel screen is more of an engineering challenge than putting a rubber ring at the front of "sealed" bodies, but well, you know, after mankind flew to the Moon and is on its way to Mars...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »

I'm not debating a sealed swivel screen is more of an engineering challenge than putting a rubber ring at the front of "sealed" bodies, but well, you know, after mankind flew to the Moon and is on its way to Mars...

You seem to be in a good mood today ;D
Light is language!

MintMark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
Well, there's a 6D and a smartphone running EOS remote... but it's unwieldy if you're holding both of them.
Yeah...not to mention you lose the 1000-shot battery life advantage of having a DSLR.

I wonder... you will be using your wifi, but on the other hand your screen and its illumination will be off instead of on. I wonder which uses more energy and which contributes more heat and electrical noise inside the camera?

I like the thought that the screen on my 60D keeps the display hardware outside the body when I'm doing long exposure astro photos.

And speaking of weather sealing... what about the microphone holes?

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
You seem to be in a good mood today ;D

Well, for one after nearly freezing my a** off yesterday I really value this day of staying the sunday inside near the radiator and procrastinating on CR :-) ...

+1 for very low level shots BUT EUR 2000 for the 6D ... THAT'S GOTTA HURT!

... and I recently realized (again) that my 60d is a good camera with an appropriate price, currently I'm very happy with carrying around the 17-40L €1300 combination instead of a €5000 5d3+24-70L2, at least for my amateur recreation shots.

I know that I'll have to buy a ff camera for event shooting, but I've got some time left to practice with the 60d until the 6d drops further in price - just like you imho €2000 is a lot of money for any dslr and esp. for the 6d, though other people seem to think that it's a steal for a Canon ff and people should be happy it's even got working buttons :-o

I wonder which uses more energy and which contributes more heat and electrical noise inside the camera?

Wifi will eat more energy hands down than a dimmed down lcd - but I'd like to know how long exactly you can do lv with a smartphone, did any 6d owner do any benchmarks yet?

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »

Wifi will eat more energy hands down than a dimmed down lcd - but I'd like to know how long exactly you can do lv with a smartphone, did any 6d owner do any benchmarks yet?

I had to delete my earlier post because I tried out what you had suggested (above). Well, the LCD does not dim when shooting nor does it go "off"/blank when shooting with a smartphone (not automatically at least and there is no setting that I notice to make it go off after a certain time lapse) ... I guess it can stay on for as long as the batter is alive or the EOS remote shooting is active on your phone. I've got my 6D connected to my iphone for the past 10 minutes and it shows no sign of timing out.

Well ... the 6D timed out when my iphone locked itself up after the auto-lock at 15 minutes. It "woke up" as soon as I unlocked my phone.

One can conclude therefore that shooting with a smartphone will reduce the battery life even further because both WiFi and LV are being used together. 
Light is language!

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2013, 12:04:34 PM »
Well, there's a 6D and a smartphone running EOS remote... but it's unwieldy if you're holding both of them.
Yeah...not to mention you lose the 1000-shot battery life advantage of having a DSLR.

I wonder... you will be using your wifi, but on the other hand your screen and its illumination will be off instead of on. I wonder which uses more energy and which contributes more heat and electrical noise inside the camera?

I like the thought that the screen on my 60D keeps the display hardware outside the body when I'm doing long exposure astro photos.

And speaking of weather sealing... what about the microphone holes?

what about the main dial behind the shutter button!

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
One can conclude therefore that shooting with a smartphone will reduce the battery life even further because both WiFi and LV are being used together.

You can solve this problem by using Magic Lantern (soon on the 6d) that features multiple custom power saving timers (like lcd dim/off). If you request a "lcd off on wifi remote" they'll probably also add this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »

It is not so much that it isn't physically possible to seal an articulating screen. Its that if you did, it would be a wearable part. All that articulation is going to stress the seal, eventually requiring it be replaced. Problem is, how do you know for sure when it needs to be replaced? And for people who aren't regular about taking their cameras in for a checkup and maintenance, do they only find out the seal wore out and cracked or developed a hole AFTER their camera short circuits while they were shooting in the rain?

As a matter of practicality, weather sealing generally seems to preclude the use of an articulating screen unless you are willing to take on the added risk that the seal may not hold, and could break at any point in time after you start articulating.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »
As a matter of practicality, weather sealing generally seems to preclude the use of an articulating screen unless you are willing to take on the added risk that the seal may not hold, and could break at any point in time after you start articulating.

Afaik the degradation of sealing concerns any points, lens and buttons? Of course I recognize your point, but since I'm no engineer I've got the privilege to stay naive and still not entirely convinced sealing and swivel screen are mutually exclusive - after all people build space stations with some sealing that needn't replacement every other month...

... and concerning the 60d I just came back from 2h shooting in light rain with the swivel screen out and can happily report I've done that a lot of times and entirely trust the sealing to survive it, and that's the most extreme shooting situation I accept w/o running for shelter :-o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »