October 25, 2014, 08:02:03 PM

Author Topic: Horses / Horseriding etc  (Read 19020 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Horses / Horseriding etc
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:57 AM »
I haven't shot three day eventing since the early '90's, Badminton was always the meet of that time. Used to shoot a good bit of polo a Cowdray Park too, but since I left the UK in '97 I've hardly seen a horse, funny because I am now back in horse country.

Badminton is still the one, originally one of the only two four * competitions in the world, the other being Burghley. Then Lexington ( Kentucky ) became a four *. If you were there in the mid 90s you may have seen Bruce Davidson ( father of the rider in Mac's picture) winning in 1995 on his wonderful horse Eagle Lion. The 90s were a good decade for the Americans at Badminton; David O'Connor won in '97.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:57 AM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
Thanks, Northstar, and as an update, the event organizers asked for my sequence photo to use as their Facebook "cover" photo and I decided to give it to them (here it is at the top of their page: Red Hills Horse Trials).  I'm pretty happy with the results given that it was my first time shooting horses :)

I told you it would run, I have seen that done so many times for extreme sports but not until now for eventing.
privatebydesign, I apologize, but I missed your earlier post and thank you for your comments.  Yes, the shot worked out quite well, particularly when I found out it was a famous rider.  That was very lucky for me as it was the only sequence shot I took!  The idea came to me when I realized I couldn't "tell the story" of this obstacle in one photo.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
Thanks, Northstar, and as an update, the event organizers asked for my sequence photo to use as their Facebook "cover" photo and I decided to give it to them (here it is at the top of their page: Red Hills Horse Trials).  I'm pretty happy with the results given that it was my first time shooting horses :)

I told you it would run, I have seen that done so many times for extreme sports but not until now for eventing.

Yes, it's worked well. I looked at the Red Hills site and saw that the rider is Buck Davidson, son of the eventing legend Bruce Davidson who was always at the British four star events. I've also seen Buck over here at Burghley Horse Trials, he's certainly heading up towards where his Dad was, so I'm sure that's helped get on the front cover.

They tend not to put up images of riders who have crashed and burned on the course  ;)
Yes, it's funny how luck can be sometimes.  He is a famous rider and that's funny that you've actually seen him and heard of his Dad.  The light was awful, the shooting position cramped and on a steep hill, and I decided to try this sequence shot one single time.  I had no idea who the rider was, but got quite lucky with this photo.  To balance out my luck, however, for CIC3* I missed the winning rider entirely (not a single photo) and got the #2 rider in this hero shot ;) on her CIC2* horse she rode that blew the course (note that she nearly went over the front of the horse moments after this was taken):

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »

Yes, it's worked well. I looked at the Red Hills site and saw that the rider is Buck Davidson, son of the eventing legend Bruce Davidson who was always at the British four star events. I've also seen Buck over here at Burghley Horse Trials, he's certainly heading up towards where his Dad was, so I'm sure that's helped get on the front cover.

They tend not to put up images of riders who have crashed and burned on the course  ;)
Yes, it's funny how luck can be sometimes.  He is a famous rider and that's funny that you've actually seen him and heard of his Dad.  The light was awful, the shooting position cramped and on a steep hill, and I decided to try this sequence shot one single time.  I had no idea who the rider was, but got quite lucky with this photo.  To balance out my luck, however, for CIC3* I missed the winning rider entirely (not a single photo) and got the #2 rider in this hero shot ;) on her CIC2* horse she rode that blew the course (note that she nearly went over the front of the horse moments after this was taken):

Don't admit to that ! I thought you were being really astute as a newbie equestrian photographer ! Seriously though, I have found over the years that you need a little luck to get on.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »
Don't admit to that ! I thought you were being really astute as a newbie equestrian photographer ! Seriously though, I have found over the years that you need a little luck to get on.
Oops!  Actually in my case, it wasn't important.  My client wasn't too interested in who was in the shots, so I wasn't worried about getting the winners.  For my own benefit, it would have been nice, and next time, I'll check the ride order sheets to make sure I'm in the right place at the right time.  It's actually pretty easy to do and when I was asked to get shots of two of the riders, I just set up at an obstacle and waited for them. 

Also, I really had a great time and considering I'm near one of the prime US equestrian locations (Ocala, Florida), I think I might get into shooting more Eventing.  The people were really friendly and the photographers that were covering the event mostly shoot to sell souvenir photos to the riders, so there's definitely a place for other niches.

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Shot with 135L. Some day the CR trolls are going to have to teach me how to get noise and banding in the shadows at low ISOs  ;)

you left the lens cap off silly, thats where you went wrong... :P

Ah well do you know !! That year I spent assisting a great photographer - never once did he mention shooting with the lens cap on  >:(

My youth was wasted  :'(

;D

Sporgon

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »
Shot at a local hunting meet.

The pretty lady's horse clearly said "If you wanna jump the fence so bad get on and do it by yourself"

The second shot is the same rider, but the right way up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Horses by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

REX50012 5h by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »

REX50038 2h by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

REX50025 2 by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:12 AM »
Houston rodeo 2014, cowboy mounted shooting.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2014, 12:43:08 AM »
Houston rodeo 2014, cowboy mounted shooting.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
I went to Belmont Park over the weekend to have a picnic with friends and family. Decided to test out my new 1.4x extender on the 70-200 2.8II. Pretty nice results- Especially considering I was shooting "sports" with a 5D mkII. This was the only horse race I shot that day, so was happy I caught a few cool frames as they passed me.

Belmont Park | Race 7 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

5 Horse by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Horses by Philip DiResta, on Flickr
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »
Chuckwagon racing.  1Dx, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 4x 600EX-RTs HSS max power.  Considerable abuse in LR5.  I'd like to have enough light to balance the sun in a shot like this but I have a feeling that would run afoul of my budget, common sense and several arms control treaties...

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2014, 01:54:14 AM »
Chuckwagon racing.  1Dx, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 4x 600EX-RTs HSS max power.  Considerable abuse in LR5.  I'd like to have enough light to balance the sun in a shot like this but I have a feeling that would run afoul of my budget, common sense and several arms control treaties...

Jim

In a photo like this, I am curious how the four lights were set up. Can you explain how and why?
Thanks in advance.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

Jim

In a photo like this, I am curious how the four lights were set up. Can you explain how and why?
Thanks in advance.

They were on stands about the height of the driver's face pointed directly at it, to my left and a little behind me.  I wanted some fill to balance out the sun.  Ideally I'd have more lights, and them spread over the length of a rig (viz the wagon and the horses) with the lights twenty or thirty feet down the track from the camera on sticks, and stand at the lights with a remote trigger to shoot when the subject gets into the light.  Gels too!  I missed that detail and had to screw around in post for a time.

I make no claim to expertise but at this point in my life I'm happy with this one.  I would trade a klondike bar for a 1Dx that syncs at 1/1000 without using HSS though...

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »