August 28, 2014, 09:05:08 AM

Author Topic: Physical Ailments From Heavy Gear  (Read 12135 times)

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Ailments From Heavy Gear
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
"That Camdapter looks pretty good - and with quick release plate compatibility too! Could you keep us up to date on how that suits you?"

Will be happy to report back. Give me a week to test it out.

Zen

The Camdapters came quickly from B&H, and I installed immediately. They came with clear instructions, and a drinking straw, of all things, to aid installation. I ordered 2 copies in black. They have other colors as well.

Installation took but a minute, literally, and the straps are easily adjustable to your hand. The leather is soft surfaced, not suede, and your hand slips in and out easily, depending on how tight you like the strap to "hug" your hand. They do give a feeling of security, make it easier to grip the cam, and you can adjust loosely enough that you can use your fingers and still have a nice firm grip on the cam. I notice that with the strap, I do not need to grip the cam as tightly as without it. Wish I had known about these before, and yes, I WOULD recommend to a friend.

At only $27 each, they're worth a try. And, no, I do not work for Camdapter . . . .

Zen ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »

marcosm

• Power Shot G16
  • Canon 5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
I spend a lot of time on my feet for work, so I'm wearing inserts these days. It has really helped and I also get my feet massaged every so often. A full-body massage couldn't hurt either, but the foot massages are cheap and quick. Also, make sure the straps to your backpack are properly secured. A secure backpack ensures the weight is properly distributed. Definitely helps to work out and stay fit!

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:26 AM »
This is one of the best from Ruxxac.
RuXXac-Cart Range of Folding Hand Truck Trolley by Braucke from Index Direct Ltd

I haven't seen an osteopath this century, and I certainly have more weight on jobs than I used to. Just traveling smarter these days...

-PW
I have to say that if you work like the people in this video, they are still working like foolish young who think their back is indestructible, you will always have back problems! Have they not heard lift with the legs not the back, crouching to assemble/erect the trolley would also be better than bending at the waist. I have been having problems since about my mid 30's, no more picking up engines alone or IRS differentials one handed!  :-[
I second about slingbacks, very bad idea, I have a Tamrac Expedition 7x, it has straps approaching if not equaling luggage style rucksacks with plenty of adjustments to get comfortable. It still needs to be loaded evenly to avoid overloading one side of the body. Best part was it was not horrendously expensive given my budget. I have a trolley too, does not go as flat as that one, wheels stay in place, it does mean that a flick with a toe folds down the platform, and the handle slides out so no bending to get the handle, also cheap, £20 from a local builders merchant, don't know why they had it, as it probably wouldn't survive normal site work, I used to use it carefully to haul electricians heavy tool box and drills test equipment etc. Cleaned up it how serves for luggage camera bag etc.
Look after those backs people.
Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
I'm not sure if heavy is the cause of my "injury" but i'm sure it played some part since i started photography.
Recently, i've been having severe back pains and finally went to a doctor for an MRU and founf out that i have some disc and nerve damage and i now have to lay off heavy lifting of surgery to fix the problem…
I go out weekly for shoots and i carry everything in a backpack.
Basically my 5D3, couple of lenses, flash, accessories etc..the bag does get pretty heavy and i bring the same gears out every weekend for a couple of hours for shoots. So MAYBE that isn't such a good idea..i've since bought a trolley and put every on it since i can no longer lift the bag without pain…My next worry now is…how am i going to travel and not carry a bag..hmmm..

bjd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
I'm not sure if heavy is the cause of my "injury" but i'm sure it played some part since i started photography.
Recently, i've been having severe back pains and finally went to a doctor for an MRU and founf out that i have some disc and nerve damage and i now have to lay off heavy lifting of surgery to fix the problem…
I go out weekly for shoots and i carry everything in a backpack.
Basically my 5D3, couple of lenses, flash, accessories etc..the bag does get pretty heavy and i bring the same gears out every weekend for a couple of hours for shoots. So MAYBE that isn't such a good idea..i've since bought a trolley and put every on it since i can no longer lift the bag without pain…My next worry now is…how am i going to travel and not carry a bag..hmmm..
I'm not a doctor, but I have had 4 slipped discs, 2 have been operated on. Only one thing helps, and obviously there are caveats as to how bad you damage is already, but get a good phsical fitness trainer, learn and do the correct exercises 2-3 times a week. And go swimming regularly if you can. And learn how to lift correctly.
It is amazing how the correct stretching and tension exercises can provide relief very quickly.

I've been hit by stupid movements, I guess when I had to lift heavy things I was prepared. Its, for example, bending to wash my feet in the shower etc that is dangerous.
My 2 cents.
I wish you luck.

DCM1024

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
Getting older is no fun :( I use a rolling bag and OpTech shoulder harness. I did just get some good news, though. I thought I needed a knee replacement but x-rays showed a foreign body which I hope can be resolved with arthroscopic surgery. I will be meeting with the Orthopedist soon. I have elected to buy lighter gear such as the 70-200 f4l is instead of the 2.8 ii. I am also currently adding fast primes to my kit.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
This is why I'm thinking about switching to full frame mirrorless later this year or the next. Leica and Sony have already proven that FF can be small and light.. Right now, uber expensive Leica is the only choice, but rumor is that Sony and Fuji will release their compact FF systems very soon.  :P

I hope AF speed will be fast enough for street shooters. I love the IQ on my Sony RX1, but not quite happy with AF speed :(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:08:48 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »