October 23, 2014, 12:34:24 AM

Author Topic: Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII  (Read 107661 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »
it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year

Not to hijack the thread, but this is very concerning.  Good luck with this.  Weddings don't have to cost that much.

We originally wanted to go small...but my fiancee's mom is like super into it, and willing to pay a good chunk of the cost...so what was gonna be around 50 people backyard reception is now 250 people at about $55 a head...

Note...when i say yearly income, this is only my second season doing this...so I'll probably cap out in the 20-30K range before all the cost of doing business stuff...wedding total is probably gonna land in the 20-25k range...her mom is gonna pick up the tab for the reception, and my parents are chipping in too...so out of pocket my fiancee and i will probably be dropping like 5-7k..then add honeymoon to that...relativly speaking its not so bad, but my income isn't what it should be yet...and see, it's not hijacking, because this is why the 6d made much more sense as a backup than a second 5d3!....lol

Not to hijack the thread either, but whose wedding is it anyway?

I've been married over 25 years (only 20 to the current wife ;) ) and I can give you one piece of advice. Do not let your mother in law take charge of anything. It will set a bad precedent and it can become a slippery slope. I've seen it in too many of my friends to count. It's your wedding, and it's your marriage, not hers. It doesn't matter who's paying.

If there's time to get out of the big wedding, do it now! You two have the rest of your lives to do what the two of you want.

Bad enough Mi-Law taking over wedding......even worse when (years later) you realise your wife  has morphed into your Mi-Law.

Haha I'm watching my sis in law morph into her mom and it's not a pretty sight !!

all this hate on weddings and mother in laws  ---LOL --- all because I bought a 6d for a backup body instead of a second mk3 ---  I would agree with ya if the 6d was a dog, if it sucked, if I was not confident in it, if the IQ was horrid...the IQ from it is pretty much exactly the same as my mk3 ---sometimes better even depending on the situation.  As I grow with it, I find that i like it even more - instead of just going wide with it, all my lenses go on it, and now it's getting equal time at weddings to my mk3. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year

Not to hijack the thread, but this is very concerning.  Good luck with this.  Weddings don't have to cost that much.

We originally wanted to go small...but my fiancee's mom is like super into it, and willing to pay a good chunk of the cost...so what was gonna be around 50 people backyard reception is now 250 people at about $55 a head...

Note...when i say yearly income, this is only my second season doing this...so I'll probably cap out in the 20-30K range before all the cost of doing business stuff...wedding total is probably gonna land in the 20-25k range...her mom is gonna pick up the tab for the reception, and my parents are chipping in too...so out of pocket my fiancee and i will probably be dropping like 5-7k..then add honeymoon to that...relativly speaking its not so bad, but my income isn't what it should be yet...and see, it's not hijacking, because this is why the 6d made much more sense as a backup than a second 5d3!....lol

I've been married over 25 years (only 20 to the current wife ;) ) and I can give you one piece of advice. Do not let your mother in law take charge of anything. It will set a bad precedent and it can become a slippery slope. I've seen it in too many of my friends to count. It's your wedding, and it's your marriage, not hers. It doesn't matter who's paying.

If there's time to get out of the big wedding, do it now! You two have the rest of your lives to do what the two of you want.

Bad enough Mi-Law taking over wedding......even worse when (years later) you realise your wife  has morphed into your Mi-Law.

Haha I'm watching my sis in law morph into her mom and it's not a pretty sight !!

all this hate on weddings and mother in laws  ---LOL --- all because I bought a 6d for a backup body instead of a second mk3 ---  I would agree with ya if the 6d was a dog, if it sucked, if I was not confident in it, if the IQ was horrid...the IQ from it is pretty much exactly the same as my mk3 ---sometimes better even depending on the situation.  As I grow with it, I find that i like it even more - instead of just going wide with it, all my lenses go on it, and now it's getting equal time at weddings to my mk3.

Nice shots but I would have cloned out the tattoo...I feel like doing it right now, hahaha :P

The reason people discuss in-laws is because many of us have them...and because many photographers like you are obsessed with discussing wedding photography...so invariably the subject matter gets discussed.

Certainly agree that the IQ of the 6D can be better than the 5D3.  I saw this in the store when I tried one out (having previously edited some RAW files from my cousin's 5D3), and decided to order a 6D the next day.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »

Really like the first picture in the series, Chuck.  Beautiful focus and PP.  I shot a business event tonight.  Headshots for all the staff and architecurals for their building.  Funny, but no one mentioned that I was shooting with 6Ds instead of a 5DIII or 1DX ;)
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »

Nice shots but I would have cloned out the tattoo...I feel like doing it right now, hahaha :P

The reason people discuss in-laws is because many of us have them...and because many photographers like you are obsessed with discussing wedding photography...so invariably the subject matter gets discussed.

Certainly agree that the IQ of the 6D can be better than the 5D3.  I saw this in the store when I tried one out (having previously edited some RAW files from my cousin's 5D3), and decided to order a 6D the next day.

i was only second shooting the tattooed one, so I'm not going that far with it...this was just a quick edit cause i got to set up the shot ---

And to Carl...if i bride has a big arm tattoo like that, the last thing in the world she'll want is to have it cloned out.  I know tat's aren't for everyone, but for those that do have them, they are generally proud of them, especially if they go that far to have a full arm sleeve done...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:55 AM »

i was only second shooting the tattooed one, so I'm not going that far with it...this was just a quick edit cause i got to set up the shot ---

And to Carl...if i bride has a big arm tattoo like that, the last thing in the world she'll want is to have it cloned out.  I know tat's aren't for everyone, but for those that do have them, they are generally proud of them, especially if they go that far to have a full arm sleeve done...

Chuck, I realize they're proud of them.  I was just getting your gander up, which as you know is not hard to do!  I have cloning on the brain because I had to clone out a lot of seaweed in shallow water around a boat dock, that belonged to one of the houses I shot aerial photos of lately.  It was a nightmare...not to mention the idiot had just bush-hogged his "yard" in front of the house.  So I had a yard and a lakefront that both looked like brown sewage from the air !!  People are stupid, and try as they might, many times they can only make things look ugly without knowing or caring.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, but I draw the line at the "sewage" look...

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:01 AM »

Chuck, I realize they're proud of them.  I was just getting your gander up, which as you know is not hard to do!  I have cloning on the brain because I had to clone out a lot of seaweed in shallow water around a boat dock, that belonged to one of the houses I shot aerial photos of lately.  It was a nightmare...not to mention the idiot had just bush-hogged his "yard" in front of the house.  So I had a yard and a lakefront that both looked like brown sewage from the air !!  People are stupid, and try as they might, many times they can only make things look ugly without knowing or caring.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, but I draw the line at the "sewage" look...

That job does not sound fun!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »

It wasn't!  Shooting it was fun but editing, not...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »

It wasn't!  Shooting it was fun but editing, not...
[/quote

+1.  It's fun till you get home and look at your pictures to edit.  Even with all your presets and everything, it's still a boring work.

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »
all this hate on weddings and mother in laws  ---LOL ---

Do you know what the difference is between in-laws and out-laws?

Out-laws are wanted.

(rimshot)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
all this hate on weddings and mother in laws  ---LOL ---

Do you know what the difference is between in-laws and out-laws?

Out-laws are wanted.

(rimshot)

Hahaha... +1 !!!

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »

+1.  It's fun till you get home and look at your pictures to edit.  Even with all your presets and everything, it's still a boring work.

It can be boring but it's mostly just tedious...but worse than that it's time consuming and hurts my butt...and hand!  Hahaha

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
damn both of you...lol!!!

changing subject...here a 6d with the 100 macro image...lol

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

Nice but um...what is that?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2013, 02:37:19 PM »

it's a metal tent post on top of a black metal grill top... we're getting those real chilly nights now so the dew has been prevalent.  shot this real close to the spike, with a cheap LED light set right behind the post...just playing around really, I like the very surreal what is that feel.  DOF is just sooooo freaking nutty with macro, hence why I do stuff like this, testing extremes.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »

it's a metal tent post on top of a black metal grill top... we're getting those real chilly nights now so the dew has been prevalent.  shot this real close to the spike, with a cheap LED light set right behind the post...just playing around really, I like the very surreal what is that feel.  DOF is just sooooo freaking nutty with macro, hence why I do stuff like this, testing extremes.

Oh yes it's water droplets, my bad...they're so dark I wanted to see them as solid barnacles or something! 

This would have worked extremely well back in my photography class in college, where we did "closeup abstractions".  Back then there was only film, and the class was only black and white...because you know, it's not cool or artsy unless it's in black and white!  Also the color developing process was supposedly more involved (so that was an advanced class)...but I did it a lot in my parents' business back then anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »