September 17, 2014, 12:00:04 PM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M? [CR1]  (Read 16793 times)

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: The Next EOS M? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
still yawning and still waiting for a FF MILC, 1st company to do it gets my money.  High performance APS-C DSLR for sports & wildlife + relatively compact FF mirrorless for street and portraits is my idea setup...

+1   me too!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »
My ave Joe's math:
FF sensor in compact body(like RX1) + pancake fast prime lenses(14,16,35,50,85,135, and or 200mm) = BIG SALE

+1

Plus - Contrast or Hybrid - AF as fast as in a current Panasonic!

MacDarcy

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
FF sensor in compact body(like RX1) + pancake fast prime lenses(14,16,35,50,85,135, and or 200mm) = BIG SALE

Yawn. If Canon would look to the RX1 for some inspiration, then I might consider it.

+1

A full frame mirrorless from Canon (with inrerchangable lens system), is my dream camera.

But Canon will never do it. They are too afraid of stepping on their own toes.

They better not be afraid, cause if they wait, Nikon & Sony will be more then happy to stomp on their feet for them.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
Got my pitchfork ready. Any other 1st Generation EOS M owners want to join me in angrily marching on Canon's Headquarters?

>:(

That's what you get when you're too excited on something.  Let it brew a little and it'll taste better. :)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
Yawn. If Canon would look to the RX1 for some inspiration, then I might consider it.

That, but the price.  RX1 is too expensive.

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
My ave Joe's math:

+1. 

Only I'm guessing the math gets harder than we think, since it involves creating on chip AF systems that can work with FF DOF, and complete line of lens that gets complicated with size vs. performance vs. cost trade-offs.  And finally how big is the market that would pay for it?  Sure I'd pay for it, and likely many people on this forum would pay for it, but we aren't the average causal photography population.  So would it pay off?

Still I hope someone gets around to it.  At this point I think Sony is the most likely candidate.  Fujifilm could do it, but they seem to be focused on expanding their crop sensor lenses for now.   Canon and Nikon have the resources to do it, but it's questionable if they will being fairly conservative companies.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
I don't see what is differentiating these specs from anything that is on the market already, namely sony.
At best, these specs will end up being a NEX type camera that has a Canon Mount. That is great for diehard Canon users, but i'm not excited enough about it to consider that over anything already on the market.
If I were to be interested in APS-C mirrorless camera, it would have to have super quick AF(like the Nikon 1,) a built in flash, hopefully a built in viewfinder, and have an F2.8 Kit lens all for around 1000 bucks at most.
That's probably a dream, but for my uses, APS-C is basically dead. If the above camera was made, I may consider it as a second camera to a future FF mirrorless or an RX1.
Now, if Canon would step up and make a FF mirrorless(like the RX1 with a 24-70(or 24-55mm) zoom, or a mirrorless FF with interchangeable lenses, and kept the cost around $2k or 3K with a decent kit lens or fast prime, well, i'd probably pre order!
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
Anyone else wish the new EOS M was the one the right?  ;)
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »
Anyone else wish the new EOS M was the one the right?  ;)

yep

also it would be nice if canon offered us 4 or 5 beta testers that bought the first EOS-M a discounted trade in price for the new one.... :D
APS-H Fanboy

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »

That, but the price.  RX1 is too expensive.

I don't blame Sony for pricing RX1 at $2800, since it's the ONLY FF sensor camera built in P&S body for less than $3000. Not to mention, it comes with Carl Zeiss f2 lens. No other companies have "BLL" to bring this kind of product to the market.

Mark my words: If Fuji or Sony comes out FF camera in compact body like the RX1 or Fuji x100, faster AF and with exchangable lenses, I will DUMP all my Canon gear. I don't understand the point of waiting for Canon FF compact camera.

Here are some pics from my RX1:

Inside Chuck E. Cheese.
http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/fPRlYszx/1/5948895

Inside my house with all lights off, except 7watts batteries Op. sleep lamp.
http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/AciN2mE8/1/5955241
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:18:35 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
In order to make a truly compact mirrorless full frame camera that complies with the laws of physics, some of the optical path will have to spill out of the camera and maybe absorbed by the lenses.  Lenses will either be longer and bigger bur definitely much more expensive.  Light has to travel in such a way so the light entering the lens has to hit the sensor perpendicular across the entire surface and the optical path required to do that dictates the size of the camera/lens system.  Don't hold your breath for a compact full frame camera with interchangeable lenses.  Just not possible.  The EOS-M will never be close to full frame without getting larger.  That's why there is a new mount for it, the EF mount is not compatible with the required optical path without an adapter.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

ksinton

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »
Yeah Canon entered the market pretty late with the m series and then did not offer anything very special.

for example compared to the Olympus OM-5 the Canon:

1.) Has much slower auto focus
2.) Has no image stabilization 
3.) Has way fewer lenses

If Canon wants to make a dent in the mirrorless market they need to find a way to stand out.  For example they could:

1.) Make a full frame mirrorless camera.  Leica would be their only completion and they are way over priced.
2.) Make a super low light capable camera with world class image stabilization and a lower res super low light sensor. 

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 03:43:49 AM »
I don't blame Sony for pricing RX1 at $2800, since it's the ONLY FF sensor camera built in P&S body for less than $3000. Not to mention, it comes with Carl Zeiss f2 lens. No other companies have "BLL" to bring this kind of product to the market.
Mark my words: If Fuji or Sony comes out FF camera in compact body like the RX1 or Fuji x100, faster AF and with exchangable lenses, I will DUMP all my Canon gear. I don't understand the point of waiting for Canon FF compact camera.

Sony RX-1 is also a problem rather than a solution as far as my demands are concerned.
1. I will NEVeR  buy a digital camera with a glued-on, ultra boring 35mm prime lens. No way. Its got to have a lens mount. And its got to have a fully-functional (IS, AF, flash-metering, distance information, etc.) adapter for Canon EF.
2. I will NEVER again buy a camera with dead slow AF. RX-1 ist way too slow. My acceptable minimum AF-speed is Nikon1, but preferably like a Panasonic GH-3.

I really do not understand why Sony did not produce an RX-2 alongside the RX-1 ... with a lens mount. They do not even have to worry about "Cannibalizing" their DSLRs (or rather their sub-par SLTs) ... since those are not sold in worthwile numbers anyway. Sony could have gone ALL OUT and create the first real FF compact camera that beats a Leica M9 by a hige margin ... at a third of the price.  There is a HUGE amrket for such a camera + a range of ultra-compact, but decent pancake lenses and a high-end, ultra-compact / foldable 24-70/f 4.0 kit lens.

I hope Canon will continue to be punished by the market (=us!) and hits the wall soon with its lacklustre APS-C EOS-M system. I will NEVER buy another APS-C camer and yet another set of APS-C lenses. Still got a bunch of EF-S ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 03:43:49 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 06:30:23 AM »
I really do not understand why Sony did not produce an RX-2 alongside the RX-1 ... with a lens mount. They do not even have to worry about "Cannibalizing" their DSLRs (or rather their sub-par SLTs) ... since those are not sold in worthwile numbers anyway. Sony could have gone ALL OUT and create the first real FF compact camera that beats a Leica M9 by a hige margin ... at a third of the price.  There is a HUGE amrket for such a camera + a range of ultra-compact, but decent pancake lenses and a high-end, ultra-compact / foldable 24-70/f 4.0 kit lens.
I think (hope) that you (we) will soon get what we ask for. :)

While Canon has failed us, there has been a steady steam of rumors about mirrorless frull frame cameras from Sony, Pentax, Samsung and Fuji.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/full-frame-nex-cameras-coming-in-one-year-nex-7-style-and-24-or-30-32mp-sensor/

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/lets-drop-the-bomb-new-samsung-full-frame-nx-r-to-come-in-march/

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/pentax-confirms-again-that-they-are-working-on-a-full-frame-camera/

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fuji-may-go-full-frame-mirrorless/

It is bound to happen. Hopefully this year or 2014.

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 08:31:25 AM »
The Leica FF rangefinder camera is 5.5" x 3.1" x 1.7"
I measured my 5D2 thickness from the inside of the lens mount to the surface plane of the sensor and it is 1.6".  The 5D2 is 5.75" wide and 3.5" high (not counting the viewfinder) so the main body dimensions are similar to a Leica if you strip the SLR mechanism..
The EOS-M is 4.28" x 2.62" x 1.27", you can't shoehorn FF optics into that space.
Sony's RX1 is full frame but they had to resort to a fixed lens because the FF optics extend out of the main camera body into the lens, the size is 4.5" x 2.63" x 2.75" including the fixed lens.  To accommodate interchangeable lenses, the RX1 would have to be at least 1.7" thick and/or have complex optics at the camera/lens interface.
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 08:31:25 AM »