December 21, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

Author Topic: Lexar CF cards FAIL - Sandisk?  (Read 15390 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Lexar CF cards FAIL - Sandisk?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »

You mean getting crazy like doing a cut and paste into google, and finding it as the primary number for Lexar support as listed on their webpage? 

http://www.lexar.com/support

Yes, something like that.  8)  I knew posting before my first coffee of the morning was a bad idea.  :o

Thanks!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »

Benhider

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

I have had two Sandisk cards fail but none of my 10 Lexar 1000x cards have failed.  1Ds2, 1Ds3, 1D4, 1DX.  The Lexar cards have tens of thousands of shots on them each (if not hundreds of thousands).

Obviously I have already contacted Lexar, and there was no recovering the images! They did an extended recovery, and could only replace the card at best.

I'm switching to Sandisk, but also doubling all data at time of creation. (additonal SD on mark iii and CF on 1DX)

willhunt

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
I just had a shocking incident yesterday with a Lexar 16GB 1000X card. I'm shooting my daughters Varsity dance team at the University of Michigan's basketball venue. Great lighting, everything is going super smooth. Her team is walking onto the court for their final Pom routine of the season. This is IT. All of the practices and hard work have come down to this minute and a half. I snap a few as they're walking out, and BAM. My 1DMKIV turns to a brick. Cannot write to card.... blah,blah blah. I furiously power down the cam, pull and re-install the card, pull the the battery, and nothing works. My pro body, lens, and CF card is a BRICK! Nothing will work. I grab a SANDISK Exteme Pro card, and everything is back to normal, AS THE TEAM IS WALKING OFF THE COURT! To say the least, I am fu***ing pissed! The reason I purchased all professional gear, is so things like this CANNOT happen. When the decisive moment is there, I am ready.
Sorry to the forum for my rant, but i just had to vent somewhere. I am going to contact Lexar, but truly what can they do. The moment is gone. I not only didn't get any photos, I didn't even get to watch my daughters final dance routine, as I was fumbling to get the cam to work.
Sorry, Lexar. But it will be Sandisk for me from now on when the shots are critical.
Anyone on the forum ever hear of any problems with Lexar 1000X CF cards, and the Canon 1D Mk IV?
Sorry again for my rant. Great forum, and I plan on sticking around. Thanks.
And I must add, I bought two of these cards together from Adorama, so I'm pretty darn sure they aren't fakes.

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »
The reason I purchased all professional gear, is so things like this CANNOT happen.

Stuff like this can ALWAYS happen, that's why "professional gear" has two memory card slots.   ;)

acoll123

• EOS M2
  • /
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »
The reason I purchased all professional gear, is so things like this CANNOT happen.

Stuff like this can ALWAYS happen, that's why "professional gear" has two memory card slots.   ;)
I bought two 32gb 1,000x Sandisk Cards around Christmas from B&H. I shoot sports and had something similar happen to me a few times while shooting basketball games. At the time I had a 1DIV and a 5DIII. Happened with both cameras when I got close to filling the buffers. Luckily I kept the original packing and B&H agreed to take them back in exchange for 2 similar Sandisk cards - the Sandisk cards were almost twice as much but I have never had a similar problems to the one I had with the Lexar cards and my Canon Cameras. I will say the Lexar cards were super fast downloading from my card reader and I did have more buffer head room but it still wasn't worth worrying about camera lock up . . .

willhunt

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »

Yes, you are absolutely correct. And I had a Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card resting comfortably in my bag. Not in the cam where it should have been. I am wondering if the cam would have shut down like it did, if I would have had that card in? I mean, the cam was dead. No functions, nothing in the viewfinder, nothing. The first time this has ever happened.

acoll123

• EOS M2
  • /
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »

I bought two 32gb 1,000x Sandisk Cards around Christmas from B&H. I shoot sports and had something similar happen to me a few times while shooting basketball games. At the time I had a 1DIV and a 5DIII. Happened with both cameras when I got close to filling the buffers. Luckily I kept the original packing and B&H agreed to take them back in exchange for 2 similar Sandisk cards - the Sandisk cards were almost twice as much but I have never had a similar problems to the one I had with the Lexar cards and my Canon Cameras. I will say the Lexar cards were super fast downloading from my card reader and I did have more buffer head room but it still wasn't worth worrying about camera lock up . . .

I should also point out that the cards didn't fail i.e. I didn't lose any data while I had the cards, they just didn't play well with my cameras . . .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »

Simon_X_George

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
Ive had exactly the opposite experience with my 7D. I was a conformed Sandisk user but experienced a issue with 60mb/s SanDisk extremes. Basically the image would save to the card but the 7D refused to let you see it on the camera and I "think" would overwrite it. Take the card out the camera and stick it in a reader or my 40D and you could see the image fine.

I swapped to Lexar x600's and have never seen the issue.

I should say that since I went to Firmware 2.0.x on the 7D the Sandisk do now seem to be behaving themselves but I just don't trust them in that body.

AriesPhoto

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
    • Aries Photo Studios
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
Just had my second Lexar 800x 8gb cf card fail this year!! Bought brand new from Calumet Photo in May. The first time was after formatting the card. Card showed it was only 32mb. Last night I had one fail while shooting a wedding. Right in the middle of the father daughter dance! I refuse to use cards larger than 8gb for this exact reason! Fortunately, I didn't lose a ton of stuff. But it was important stuff none the less. I think because this problem is being reported be several people, there is a definite issue here. I will not shoot with Lexar cards anymore EVER!! I can't afford to continue losing files like this. My clients pay too much money for my services to continue playing russian roulette with their cards!!
5D MKIII, 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L MKII, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 100mm macro f/2.8L IS, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.4,

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
Both brands have an excellent reputation.
Never had a failure with now around 20 cards together from both brands over the years.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III,
Fuji X- E2, XF 23 1,4, XF 18- 55 2,8-4

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
i have 14 Transcend CF cards in 400x 600x and the new 1000x all bought off ebay from hong kong and never had an issue with any of them even had 100% recovery when i accidentally formatted a camera on a wedding shoot just after the ceremony.

so maybe give transcend a try
APS-H Fanboy

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
i have 14 Transcend CF cards in 400x 600x and the new 1000x all bought off ebay from hong kong and never had an issue with any of them even had 100% recovery when i accidentally formatted a camera on a wedding shoot just after the ceremony.

I bet that was terrifying!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »

oh yeah it was a sphincter twitching moment thats for sure!
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »

oh yeah it was a sphincter twitching moment thats for sure!

Haha...I've had a few moments like that, where my heart was literally in my throat.  None from photography yet...hopefully never happen for me!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »
I just had a shocking incident yesterday with a Lexar 16GB 1000X card. I'm shooting my daughters Varsity dance team at the University of Michigan's basketball venue. Great lighting, everything is going super smooth. Her team is walking onto the court for their final Pom routine of the season. This is IT. All of the practices and hard work have come down to this minute and a half. I snap a few as they're walking out, and BAM. My 1DMKIV turns to a brick. Cannot write to card.... blah,blah blah. I furiously power down the cam, pull and re-install the card, pull the the battery, and nothing works. My pro body, lens, and CF card is a BRICK! Nothing will work. I grab a SANDISK Exteme Pro card, and everything is back to normal, AS THE TEAM IS WALKING OFF THE COURT! To say the least, I am fu***ing pissed! The reason I purchased all professional gear, is so things like this CANNOT happen. When the decisive moment is there, I am ready.
Sorry to the forum for my rant, but i just had to vent somewhere. I am going to contact Lexar, but truly what can they do. The moment is gone. I not only didn't get any photos, I didn't even get to watch my daughters final dance routine, as I was fumbling to get the cam to work.
Sorry, Lexar. But it will be Sandisk for me from now on when the shots are critical.
Anyone on the forum ever hear of any problems with Lexar 1000X CF cards, and the Canon 1D Mk IV?
Sorry again for my rant. Great forum, and I plan on sticking around. Thanks.
And I must add, I bought two of these cards together from Adorama, so I'm pretty darn sure they aren't fakes.

Isn't that why the 1D MK IV has dual card slots?  Cards fail.  There are tons of complainers about Sandisk too, but the fact is that card failures while rare, happen to all brands, and having a backup in a camera that has provision for one is a extremely good idea, not having one is the fault of the user.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »