September 23, 2014, 12:25:24 AM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]  (Read 35634 times)

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
Re: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »
so canon user will get a 8000 euro high MP camera while nikon user get a high MP camera for 2200 euro.

Correction:

so canon user will get a 8000 euro high MP camera in 2014Q1 at the earliest while nikon user get a high MP camera for 3000 eur in 2012Q1

There you go, much better now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2013, 04:30:22 AM »
Is it me? What do people do with all these mega pixels?  I find around 20 is just fine, more than I need really. I sell prints and enlarge to about 40 inches wide with no quality problems.

I guess that you can crop more, but then you have the option of getting a longer lens or getting closer if you can.

I'm never aware of the difference as far as pixels density between my cameras when processing my images. One is 18 and the other is 20 something. There you go I don't even know the exact numbers.

So what do people plan to do with all those pixels? How can you use them all in one go?
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »
How about macro?

If per-pixel-quality is similar to the 1D-X or 5D Mark III then you can crop to your heart's delight or create stunning large-scale images of static objects like flowers and such.

How about shooting landscapes without bringing a Hasselblad or similar medium format device?

How about people shooting magazine covers or similar work?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:03:55 AM by AmbientLight »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 05:37:50 AM »
Nikon suffered from that until some younger blood finally got to the top.  The trouble is, they also need to make a profit.  Innovative ideas do not keep a company in business if they don't turn a profit.

Nikon is building a giant plant in Laos to open this fall, apparently hoping to ultimately get their costs down.  They also (I think) understand that the warmer weather means more floods and they need to have plan(t) B.  I hope it works out for them, lower prices are certainly welcome, and Canon is in the drivers seat right now as far as cost of production is concerned.  They drop prices and still make a nice profit.

Great analysis. One reason Nikon has problems with profits is they tried too hard to displace Canon as market leader. But Nikon must also improve their quality control. Obviously, their standard has taken quite a hit recently with the D800 left side misfocus and D600 sensor debris problems...

I think Nikon has far worse issues than a few tech bugs. Their last generation of DSLR's all robbed each other's sales and divided their own markets...a sure sign of a panic with their pro cameras. The D700 totally divided the D3 sales. Who would buy a D3 after a D700 was launched? Practically the same specs for half the size and cost...lol. Nikon was so desperate to grab market share they lost their long term perspective. When the next batch of cameras came out, the D4 wasn't properly shaken down and has had loads of tech issues. The D800 isn't the same genre/spec division of the D700 which has really peaved off a lot of Nikon shooters. Many Pro photographers (whom Nikon were courting) ditch Canon, sold a lot of kit and re-invested in Nikon glass...only to find that the next round Nikon wanted them to buy D4's at a huge price increase over the D800. Most of those pros looked at the D800 and considered it to have inappropriate specs. The very reason for them to consider Nikon (low mp, hish iso and the best AF in the business) were no longer valid and many have quietly gone back to Canon. While the D800 is a very innovative camera, it's not right for the buying market it's in. Nikon needed a true D700 replacement and hasn't delivered. The 5DIII is easily the most versatile DSLR ever made and the new ex 600 rt flash is simply the best flash gun ever made. Nikon have seriously upset their user base and handed the game back to Canon. If I was a Canon to Nikon switcher...I certainly wouldn't trust Nikon again.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2013, 05:42:28 AM »
Going back to this threads origins...
I still don't see the need for a 40+ mp DSLR. With the current 22mp sensors, I can blow up to A1 size easily and still have a very low noise threshold. Why would I trade these features for more mush MP? There's not many lenses which can resolve that level of detail. I just worry that this camera is being developed by forum pressure and the desire for brand bragging rights. I seriously doubt that it'll sell well, lets face it, the current 1Dx aint cheap and it's not going to be cheaper than that camera!

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »
Is it me? What do people do with all these mega pixels?  I find around 20 is just fine, more than I need really. I sell prints and enlarge to about 40 inches wide with no quality problems.

So what do people plan to do with all those pixels? How can you use them all in one go?

I think they plan to boast and brag about their extra MP and then fondle their cameras every night with their big toll like hands :D

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:31 AM »

I guess that you can crop more, but then you have the option of getting a longer lens or getting closer if you can.

I'm never aware of the difference as far as pixels density between my cameras when processing my images. One is 18 and the other is 20 something. There you go I don't even know the exact numbers.

What we want is a better sensor from Canon, something with DR that compares to Nikon's sensor in the D800. Something that isn't plagued by pattern noise.

Canon have never delivered a better sensor with the same MP, so obviously the MP count needs to change.

When I print from the 5DII at 300dpi then the picture is about 19"x12" - not very big.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:31 AM »

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 05:52:58 AM »
Nikon suffered from that until some younger blood finally got to the top.  The trouble is, they also need to make a profit.  Innovative ideas do not keep a company in business if they don't turn a profit.

Nikon is building a giant plant in Laos to open this fall, apparently hoping to ultimately get their costs down.  They also (I think) understand that the warmer weather means more floods and they need to have plan(t) B.  I hope it works out for them, lower prices are certainly welcome, and Canon is in the drivers seat right now as far as cost of production is concerned.  They drop prices and still make a nice profit.

Great analysis. One reason Nikon has problems with profits is they tried too hard to displace Canon as market leader. But Nikon must also improve their quality control. Obviously, their standard has taken quite a hit recently with the D800 left side misfocus and D600 sensor debris problems...

I think Nikon has far worse issues than a few tech bugs. Their last generation of DSLR's all robbed each other's sales and divided their own markets...a sure sign of a panic with their pro cameras. The D700 totally divided the D3 sales. Who would buy a D3 after a D700 was launched? Practically the same specs for half the size and cost...lol. Nikon was so desperate to grab market share they lost their long term perspective. When the next batch of cameras came out, the D4 wasn't properly shaken down and has had loads of tech issues. The D800 isn't the same genre/spec division of the D700 which has really peaved off a lot of Nikon shooters. Many Pro photographers (whom Nikon were courting) ditch Canon, sold a lot of kit and re-invested in Nikon glass...only to find that the next round Nikon wanted them to buy D4's at a huge price increase over the D800. Most of those pros looked at the D800 and considered it to have inappropriate specs. The very reason for them to consider Nikon (low mp, hish iso and the best AF in the business) were no longer valid and many have quietly gone back to Canon. While the D800 is a very innovative camera, it's not right for the buying market it's in. Nikon needed a true D700 replacement and hasn't delivered. The 5DIII is easily the most versatile DSLR ever made and the new ex 600 rt flash is simply the best flash gun ever made. Nikon have seriously upset their user base and handed the game back to Canon. If I was a Canon to Nikon switcher...I certainly wouldn't trust Nikon again.

I have both the 5D mk III and the Nikon D800.  The Canon is great at low light, and is a perfect camera for gigs with its real silent shutter.  The Nikon has great DR. End of.  I shoot mainly landscapes, so I want good low ISO performance.  The mk III forces me to use noise reduction at ISO 100 - 400.  This is a terminal disease for me, so I don't use the mmiii for very much at all now.  The mk III is dead in the water as far as I am concerned because of the noise banding in shadows. 

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 06:28:40 AM »
I have both the 5D mk III and the Nikon D800.  The Canon is great at low light, and is a perfect camera for gigs with its real silent shutter.  The Nikon has great DR. End of.  I shoot mainly landscapes, so I want good low ISO performance.  The mk III forces me to use noise reduction at ISO 100 - 400.  This is a terminal disease for me, so I don't use the mmiii for very much at all now.  The mk III is dead in the water as far as I am concerned because of the noise banding in shadows.

You must have a bad 5DIII, for my landscapes it's been quite amazing and the appalling Nikon Live view effort puts me off any Nikon DSLR for landscape work. The D800 might have less banding and slightly more DR, but bracketing and digital blending is still required for high contrast imagery. If you are using NR on your 5DIII, then I would suggest your camera is out of spec, are using poor metering technique or you are rushing your landscape work. If you are pulling so much out of the shadows, then there is obviously a meeting issue or you are cutting courners with your bracketing and blending.
This image below, I combined the foreground and sky exposures into one image, I had to wait for the sun to kiss the foreground but the sun position was then wrong. So taking the two images created a better photo and one which looks balanced for exposure and has a stong visual feel. The difference between 30+ and 20+ mp is mute here and I get to utilise the camera's low 100 iso virtues because the 2 source images were taken using the camera's optimal performance.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:15 AM »
Development Announcement?? :o :o
Where's the 200-400 F4L 1.4X TC~~~

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2013, 07:29:08 AM »
Wait...wait...soooooo what you are saying is that the big megapixel Canon MAY be released a year from now...AND...some of its technology may be based on a camera that has not been announced or released yet?
WOW.. This is really exciting news for Canon users! (Sorry...but some sarcasm is mandatory here, I could not hold it in).
My 5D III is lookin pretty good here...and was probably a fraction of the cost of these future tech marvels. :-)
The files sizes and quality coming out of my 5DIII are great... I will buy some more glass...I guess unless Canon produced a camera with file sizes the same as the 5D III with incredible dynamic range...I will not need another camera for a while.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:03:07 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
The big question is what body will this be in.

I'm sporting the 1D-X and the 5D3 was tempting (but some features only a little better and negatives were big for me) but I prefer the series 1 bodies and features. However, I would have loved a big step up in megapixels in my 1D-X.
I'd prefer rebel size. Yes, seriously.

There is no need to feel like a overpacked mountain donkey while hiking / traveling for landscapes. :) My shoulders says no! .. After all, a high MP body will surely be aimed at landscapers and travelers.

But yeah, it will probably be a 1D-type body, just so that Canon can charge extra for the "pro size". ::)

I prefer 1D type body as more features/speed/responsiveness etc can be packed in.
Besides, high MP will be used by many more than just 'landscapers and travelers'. Studio, fashion etc. will benefit too.
And all serious landscape photographers use a tripod and if they carrying a tripod, the little extra weight of 1d body is not an issue.
Regards..

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
Great job with that shot, GMC.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »
Great job with that shot, GMC.

Thanks bud, suprisingly....not much snow! Looking out my window today and I'm trying hard to imagine that it's late March....lol!

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »

You must have a bad 5DIII, for my landscapes it's been quite amazing and the appalling Nikon Live view effort puts me off any Nikon DSLR for landscape work. The D800 might have less banding and slightly more DR, but bracketing and digital blending is still required for high contrast imagery. If you are using NR on your 5DIII, then I would suggest your camera is out of spec, are using poor metering technique or you are rushing your landscape work. If you are pulling so much out of the shadows, then there is obviously a meeting issue or you are cutting courners with your bracketing and blending.
This image below, I combined the foreground and sky exposures into one image, I had to wait for the sun to kiss the foreground but the sun position was then wrong. So taking the two images created a better photo and one which looks balanced for exposure and has a stong visual feel. The difference between 30+ and 20+ mp is mute here and I get to utilise the camera's low 100 iso virtues because the 2 source images were taken using the camera's optimal performance.

I rarely have to use multiple shots with the D800 whereas I often had to with the mk III.  In my experience I can also get more detail from the shadows without getting the noise banding.  I agree that the Live View is far better on the Canon than on the D800, but then I very rarely use Live View in any case as I still prefer to use the viewfinder.  I'll often shoot handheld which is something I do with my medium format 645D also.

My experience:

Canon   5D mkIII                Nikon  D800       

Live view                                 better                                           worse

Silent shooting                        much better                                  hardly much quieter than normal shooting

Dynamic Range                       worse                                            Much better

Low ISO noise                         much worse                                   Much better

Shadow recovery                     much worse                                   Much better

I'm no fanboi.  I judge from my images.  The Mk III can take some great images, but the pattern noise killed it for me.  That being said, I haven't yet sold all my L glass, so I am keeping my head in.  I operate a two camera set up: D800 and the 40 mp Pentax 645D.  The resolution isn't the be all and end all.  BUt is good to have the ability to print to about the same size with both.  The D800 is the best of all three for dynamic range in my experience, but the 645D gives a different feeling.  It also doesn't give me the pattern noise that the Canon does.  And I'm not the only one reporting that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »