December 21, 2014, 03:34:48 PM

Author Topic: 6D Autofocus not impressive  (Read 87578 times)

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: 6D Autofocus not impressive
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
When did I say that?  Don't put words in my mouth. 

Here's what you said:
As for complaining that Canon "hobbled the 6D"...if they did, it was not for fear of impacting sales of the 5D3. It was to ensure that the Nikon D600 could never be offered at a lower street price than the 6D ...

To summarize this quote:
Canon did not "hobble" the 6D to protect 5DIII sales.
What they did was ensure that the 6D is cheaper than the D600.

That's what you said, no?

To that I replied that 'features' like the lower x-sync and max-stutter speed, as well as the 6D consumer ergonomics (all back buttons are on the right side, as on consumer cameras like the Rebels) have nothing to do with lowering cost.

In case it's not clear to you, Canon did these particular 'features' in order protect 5DIII sales.
As I said, these have nothing to do with reducing costs.
These are conscious decisions on Canon's part to (artificially) differentiate the 6D from the 5DIII.
Sorry if that's not clear to you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
When did I say that?  Don't put words in my mouth. 

Here's what you said:
As for complaining that Canon "hobbled the 6D"...if they did, it was not for fear of impacting sales of the 5D3. It was to ensure that the Nikon D600 could never be offered at a lower street price than the 6D ...

To summarize this quote:
Canon did not "hobble" the 6D to protect 5DIII sales.
What they did was ensure that the 6D is cheaper than the D600.

That's what you said, no?

To that I replied that 'features' like the lower x-sync and max-stutter speed, as well as the 6D consumer ergonomics (all back buttons are on the right side, as on consumer cameras like the Rebels) have nothing to do with lowering cost.

In case it's not clear to you, Canon did these particular 'features' in order protect 5DIII sales.
As I said, these have nothing to do with reducing costs.
These are conscious decisions on Canon's part to (artificially) differentiate the 6D from the 5DIII.
Sorry if that's not clear to you.

Well, it's not.  Again, the 6D's choice of features, or lack thereof, has everything to do with its competition in the marketplace with other brands, and nothing to do with protecting sales of their own camera model that is not in the same price class or feature set.  The 5D3 has the best AF sensor Canon knows how to make.  That feature, along with a larger more robust body, and with higher processing capacity and shooting speed than the 6D...are what set the 5D3 apart from a camera that is intentionally downmarket from it.  Downmarket products are not meant to "protect" sales of upmarket products.  You're implying Canon thinks the 5D3 needs protecting.  I disagree.

You don't work for Canon, you are voicing your own opinion and stating it as fact.  Your opinion does not disprove my opinion.  Clear?

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »

You really have no point to make here, do you?  Other than you dislike the USA, or you think we don't realize there are other people in the world?  Sorry to disappoint you, but I do very much realize it. 

In any case, if you like the Nikon D600, or otherwise think it's a better value than the 6D, you should buy that as your backup camera, and some Nikon glass.  That would be a lot less costly than buying a 1DX as your backup camera, as you seem to imply in a previous post.

I don't dislike the US but I do dislike the people who don't seem to realise that there is a world outside of the US. I think its too presumptuous to say that Canon prices its products taking only the US market into consideration. :o :o

BTW, did I say that I "liked" the Nikon D600? We were only referring to the price here and all you can deduce from the information that has been provided by myself and another poster here is to arrive at the conclusion that I like the Nikon D600 and should buy it instead of the 1DX! :o That said, if Nikon suited my shooting requirements, I would have shifted already.

Did I say that the 6D is a bad camera? I have a few gripes with the autofocus that Canon has put out on it. My points are relevant to "this" thread that is the only reason I have posted here. The thread refers to "6D Autofocus not impressive" - well it's not impressive IMHO and if one would consider the AF systems in Canon's other models (even crop cameras), I would say that the AF system on the 6D is not impressive at all. Simply because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong - you are satisfied with the 6D's AF and I am not. Is it so difficult to understand?

If the best you can do is come up with irrational conclusions then I rest my case. There is no point in trying to get into a reasoned debate and end up getting rude and nasty replies. I hope you are not this obtuse in real life.

Cheers ... J.R.
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
The grass is always greener when you crank up the saturation in photoshop

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
D4 > 1Dx

D800 > 5D3

D600 > 6D

:|   <----------------------- *poker face.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »
D4 > 1Dx

D800 > 5D3

D600 > 6D

In what sense? Price, DR or trolls of the Nikon bandwagon? ;)
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
You don't work for Canon, you are voicing your own opinion and stating it as fact. 
You are doing the exact same thing.

Your opinion does not disprove my opinion.  Clear?
Well, it does  8).

Downmarket products are typically not meant to "protect" sales upmarket products ... unless they are obviously designed to do so.

You see, there's absolutely no need for the right-hand-only button placement on the back of the 6D.

Before articulating LCDs, even the Rebels had buttons on the left side.
So, having buttons only on the right side is not some novel ergonomics idea.

Canon did it so that the 6D has a consumer feel to it and is different from the pro-oriented 5DIII.
This is so-o-o obvious that mine opinion really disproves yours in this case - based on the obviousness criteria.
And btw, you should be worried that such an obvious thing escapes you.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
D4 > 1Dx

D800 > 5D3

D600 > 6D

:|

I'll never tell.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
D4 > 1Dx

D800 > 5D3

D600 > 6D

I'll never tell.

Damn! That's convenient ;D I'll make my best guess ... Thank you!
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100

ahab1372

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
buttons left, buttons right, better or lesser AF, a few dollars or Euros more here or less there or the other ways round - and you all know why Canon did what they did? Geez, how do you know all this? Have you been drinking sake with what-was-his-name-again?

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
buttons left, buttons right, better or lesser AF, a few dollars or Euros more here or less there or the other ways round - and you all know why Canon did what they did? Geez, how do you know all this? Have you been drinking sake with what-was-his-name-again?

He who must not be named!
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »

Shooting indoors without flash, child sitting on sofa, shooting wide open with the 50mm f/1.4 - no option but to focus and recompose.

I agree that the center point of the 6D is very good, but there are times when you need those outer focus points.

I wonder if your 6D is defective.  I frequently test new lenses around our apartment at night in low light without flash and never have a problem using the outer focus points (at least on the lenses I have) unless there's not enough contrast where I'm trying to focus.  Perhaps it's just the sort of things I photograph, but such situations in my experience are rare (e.g. I like taking shallow-focus photos of a shelf inside a cabinet covered in glasses; clear glass is difficult to focus on at the best of times...); the 5DIII may handle them better, of course.       

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »

I don't dislike the US but I do dislike the people who don't seem to realise that there is a world outside of the US. I think its too presumptuous to say that Canon prices its products taking only the US market into consideration. :o :o

BTW, did I say that I "liked" the Nikon D600? We were only referring to the price here and all you can deduce from the information that has been provided by myself and another poster here is to arrive at the conclusion that I like the Nikon D600 and should buy it instead of the 1DX! :o That said, if Nikon suited my shooting requirements, I would have shifted already.

Did I say that the 6D is a bad camera? I have a few gripes with the autofocus that Canon has put out on it. My points are relevant to "this" thread that is the only reason I have posted here. The thread refers to "6D Autofocus not impressive" - well it's not impressive IMHO and if one would consider the AF systems in Canon's other models (even crop cameras), I would say that the AF system on the 6D is not impressive at all. Simply because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong - you are satisfied with the 6D's AF and I am not. Is it so difficult to understand?

If the best you can do is come up with irrational conclusions then I rest my case. There is no point in trying to get into a reasoned debate and end up getting rude and nasty replies. I hope you are not this obtuse in real life.

Cheers ... J.R.

Huh?  I'm not being any more rude than you are here.  You're the one implying I think the USA is the only market.  I don't, and never said it was.  However, you seem to be implying the UK's market is what counts, since somehow the price is less there for the D600 than the 6D...and that because of this, I was wrong in my assertion that Canon wanted to keep the price of the 6D lower than that of the D600.  Well, I still feel that was their strategy, and you can't disprove it.  Your market is not representative of the world market, despite your implication that it is...and somehow the US market is the outlier that is not representative of the price.

I don't care if you think the 6D's autofocus is impressive or not.  My point still is, that it need not be "impressive", it simply needs to function well, which it does.  You are finding fault with it unfairly, and if you spent a bit more time with it, you might change your mind.

Really, you should chill out a little bit.  You are taking this way too personally, for no reason.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

You see, there's absolutely no need for the right-hand-only button placement on the back of the 6D.

Before articulating LCDs, even the Rebels had buttons on the left side.
So, having buttons only on the right side is not some novel ergonomics idea.

Canon did it so that the 6D has a consumer feel to it and is different from the pro-oriented 5DIII.
This is so-o-o obvious that mine opinion really disproves yours in this case - based on the obviousness criteria.
And btw, you should be worried that such an obvious thing escapes you.

What escapes me is why having buttons on both sides is more upmarket than having them all on the right.  I've been using my 5DII and 6D interchangeably a lot during the past week and - perhaps because I'm a mere "consumer" - have no hesitation in preferring the layout on the 6D (dare I even say I don't much like the joystick).  But it's easy enough to get used to either (one could even, I suppose, get used to Nikon's horrible ergonomics). 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »

Cheers ... J.R.

Huh?  I'm not being any more rude than you are here.  You're the one implying I think the USA is the only market.  I don't, and never said it was.  However, you seem to be implying the UK's market is what counts, since somehow the price is less there for the D600 than the 6D...and that because of this, I was wrong in my assertion that Canon wanted to keep the price of the 6D lower than that of the D600.  Well, I still feel that was their strategy, and you can't disprove it.  Your market is not representative of the world market, despite your implication that it is...and somehow the US market is the outlier that is not representative of the price.

I don't care if you think the 6D's autofocus is impressive or not.  My point still is, that it need not be "impressive", it simply needs to function well, which it does.  You are finding fault with it unfairly, and if you spent a bit more time with it, you might change your mind.

Really, you should chill out a little bit.  You are taking this way too personally, for no reason.

No problem Carl. I'm ok with a difference of opinion and I don't take it personally. What really got me wound up was the reference to the Nikon D600 for no apparent reason.

BTW, I didn't make a reference to the UK market so I don't know where you are coming from. I was simply mentioning that the price of the two cameras is more or less the same, give or take a few. The difference in prices could not have been the main consideration for Canon or Nikon. I have my opinion and you have yours and we can agree to disagree and move on.

Cheers ... &J
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »

Shooting indoors without flash, child sitting on sofa, shooting wide open with the 50mm f/1.4 - no option but to focus and recompose.

I agree that the center point of the 6D is very good, but there are times when you need those outer focus points.

I wonder if your 6D is defective.  I frequently test new lenses around our apartment at night in low light without flash and never have a problem using the outer focus points (at least on the lenses I have) unless there's not enough contrast where I'm trying to focus.  Perhaps it's just the sort of things I photograph, but such situations in my experience are rare (e.g. I like taking shallow-focus photos of a shelf inside a cabinet covered in glasses; clear glass is difficult to focus on at the best of times...); the 5DIII may handle them better, of course.     

I don't think that my 6D is defective but I guess I'll check out by borrowing another 6D from a friend and test them side by side.
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »