December 20, 2014, 03:47:37 AM

Author Topic: 24-70Mk2 fell off my 5DMk3 and smashed  (Read 22178 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 24-70Mk2 fell off my 5DMk3 and smashed
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
See, right here in this thread we have someone who suffered an unfortunate accident and cries out, "Design flaw," not my fault, someone else should take responsibility.

If you want design flaw, try the Kenko extenders - the removal/unlock button is pronounced, very large and you just have to brush it an unfortunate way when moving back the hand from the zoom/focus ring on the lens to the camera. I always forget to mention this flaw when I recommend the extender ...

... but while I also think there might be more foolproof mechanics/positions for the Canon unlock button to be designed, I would never have the idea it's not my own clumsiness, even though I also managed to unlock the lens by accident before :-o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »
...no where did he blame Canon for design flaw.

Seriously?  "Design flaw." How is that not blaming Canon, since they designed the lens? Unless you're suggesting he's blaming millions of years of evolution for a design flaw of his hands?   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »
...no where did he blame Canon for design flaw.

Seriously?  "Design flaw." How is that not blaming Canon, since they designed the lens? Unless you're suggesting he's blaming millions of years of evolution for a design flaw of his hands?   :o
NO! ... the OP did not blame it on design flaw, but some people were too quick to accuse him of that ... that is my point ... all he did was ask a simple question.
It is not necessary that it can only happen due to the "flaw of hands" ... what if the release button developed a problem ... my point is give him the benefit of doubt, not just jump on him for a simple question.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Jeremy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »
Wow.   I didn't realize my question would bring out so many haters.

I was mid-shoot when this happened.  So it wasn't a mounting error.  In testing, if the lens is not COMPLETELY CLICKED IN, it reads F00 and MF (manual focus).  I suppose it's possible that the release spring didn't engage properly.  But I've tested that 100 times and it seems to be in order.

I was not blaming Canon....yet.  After Googling the issue and hearing other people's horror stories, I supposed that I accidentally hit the release button and rotated the lens off the camera while zooming.  The purpose of asking this question IN A CANON FORUM was to see if any other CANON USERS experienced this issue.  If a ton of other people did, then yes, it would be a design flaw and we would hold Canon accountable.  But it looks like only a few people have had it happen, so perhaps it's just how we shoot or carry our cameras.

On that note, after more Googling, I think I have an explanation....it happened to a few other people as well.  I use a Black Rapid strap over my left shoulder, so the camera hangs on my right hip.  I'm guessing that the release got pushed (perhaps by the top of my belt) as it "bounced" around on my hip during the evening.  After that, all it took was one good zoom to the right and I twisted the lens right off.  I actually feel a little better now that I have a more-plausible explanation than hitting it with my thumb.  I can now look at how I carry my camera so this doesn't happen again.

As for the embarrassment comment.  I don't get it.  I HAVE dropped a lens before...my 70-200L2.8....and I can assure you, embarrassment is not one of the feelings that rises to the top.  It's mostly panic and fear (that you won't get your job done, and that it'll cost you a fortune to fix) and then rage...at yourself for being so stupid.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:46:24 PM by Jeremy »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
The purpose of asking this question IN A CANON FORUM was to see if any other CANON USERS experienced this issue.  If a ton of other people did, then yes, it would be a design flaw and we would hold Canon accountable.  But it looks like only a few people have had it happen, so perhaps it's just how we shoot or carry our cameras.

Well, Dr. Neuro and I also experienced it, and I would guess that many, many people also had it happen but with less fatal consequences - so I'm happy you wrote the thread...

As for the embarrassment comment.  I don't get it.  I HAVE dropped a lens before...my 70-200L2.8....and I can assure you, embarrassment is not one of the feelings that rises to the top.  It's mostly panic and fear (that you won't get your job done, and that it'll cost you a fortune to fix) and then rage...at yourself for being so stupid.

... which imho still really might be the reason why so few people said "me too" (rage/self-hate is usually also followed by embarrassment). If people truthfully wrote what went wrong with products and what they attributed to their own stupidity a lot of redesigns would be in order (hello, Kenko!).

While I wouldn't call the Canon release "design flaw", I wouldn't hinder Canon from adding a lock that needs some optional unscrewing instead of just pushing. But maybe they aren't that hurt about selling a replacement lens, which is also the explanation why cars are so easy to steal :->

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
I've had a particularly accident prone year so far...hope it's not a trend.  I first dropped my 5D3 with an 85 f/1.2 off my tripod when I didn't screw down the ball tension tightly enough.  The camera dropped down on the ball head hard enough to break it free from the mount and the camera went hurling towards the hard wooden floor below.  The 85mm was destroyed...cracked open...metal mount broken off and still on the 5D3.  Miraculously, the 5D3 seems to have survived without issue.  I sent both into CPS for repair...nothing wrong with the camera but the lens cost me $1,100 to repair.  The repair has been problematic since it came back with lots of dust and cleaning residue swirl marks inside the lens.  I sent it back for cleaning and it came back exactly as bad if not worse.  Now I am about to send it back yet again.  So far every lens I have sent in that needed to be opened up has come back with cleaning issues -- last one had a very visible greasy fingerprint on the inside.

So the next (and hopefully last accident) was dropping my 1DX with 24-70 f/2.8II off of my BlackRapid strap.  I have just started using the Kirk QRC-1 on my BR and I guess I didn't lie it up properly when attaching.  Fortunately the fall was just from below my waist onto hard-ish carpet, but the impact on the lens broke it -- zoom ring wouldn't move the lens at all.  Since this was the very beginning of a long night of shooting I decided to get a little rough with the lens and managed to jam it back into alignment.  It snapped in and seems to be working fine now.  I need to AFMA all of my lenses now, but so far problems in site.  Any thoughts on sending the 24-70 into CPS for alignment if I don't see any problems with it?  Kind of worried about getting the lens back worse than when I sent it in.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
Since this was the very beginning of a long night of shooting I decided to get a little rough with the lens and managed to jam it back into alignment.  It snapped in and seems to be working fine now.  I need to AFMA all of my lenses now, but so far problems in site.  Any thoughts on sending the 24-70 into CPS for alignment if I don't see any problems with it?  Kind of worried about getting the lens back worse than when I sent it in.
I cannot imagine how you fixed it but if it seems OK (left part = right part = very good) and focusing is 100% OK
in all focal lengths then my opinion is: DO NOT SEND it. Enjoy using it!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
Miraculously, the 5D3 seems to have survived without issue.

I'd really like to see some statistics on this because imho and in my experience the body "sturdiness" is overrated: If the gear drops the first - and most likely only - thing to break is the lens, and then probably some part of the body like back or top lcd that isn't protected by metal anyway. That's why I'm now much more relaxed about my "plastic" 60d.

vmk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
If we buy protection plan like "geek squad/Square trade" doesn't it cover the damage of the camera/lens
If it doesn't cover the damage, what is the point of buying that coverage then?

Jeremy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
@Chris Burch  That IS some crap luck...and with gear WAY more expensive than I just lost.  Sorry man.

@Marsu42  Thanks for what you wrote.  While I'm not happy it happened to other people, I'm glad I'm not alone (if that makes any sense).

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
Oh, I have dropped my 300 f2.8 IS twice because when I mount it on my 2X TC it sometimes doesn't lock properly, a bit like Neuro, it took me two goes to realise there was a problem. It is funny because none of my other lenses has an issue mounting on the TC, just the 300. It is quite depressing to see your 300 sitting on the floor and a camera and TC in your hand!
I like your signature ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2013, 06:54:49 AM »
See, right here in this thread we have someone who suffered an unfortunate accident and cries out, "Design flaw," not my fault, someone else should take responsibility.

If you want design flaw, try the Kenko extenders - the removal/unlock button is pronounced, very large and you just have to brush it an unfortunate way when moving back the hand from the zoom/focus ring on the lens to the camera. I always forget to mention this flaw when I recommend the extender ...

Thanks ... I pulled the plug on my plans to get the Kenko after reading the above.  :)

1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
The grass is always greener when you crank up the saturation in photoshop

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:08 AM »
@Marsu42  Thanks for what you wrote.  While I'm not happy it happened to other people, I'm glad I'm not alone (if that makes any sense).

In my usually doomed tries to translate German proverbs: "Shared pain is half pain" :-p ... not true, but the human psyche seems to work that way.

Polycarbonate bodies are virtually indestructible, just watch the video on DigitalRev TV where he tries to kill two cheap bodies. Their other advantage is they are light so store less potential energy, drop them and they bounce.

Interesting information, thanks - thinking back that's exactly what happened whenever I dropped my 60d (well, I try not to do it to often, but over the years ... you know :-p).

Newer mid-range alleged "metal" bodies aren't entirely mag-alloy anyway, I though it was purely marketing (esp. Nikon d7000-type, the metal is only on the top/back where the usual diagrams show it), but maybe it makes sense after all to reduce weight while having a sturdy frame against splits.

Thanks ... I pulled the plug on my plans to get the Kenko after reading the above.  :)

I don't think it's a show-stopper, the extender is excellent and good value otherwise - but as it seems other users have also issues with the Canon extender, it seems you have to be extra-careful with these. As for the Kenko release button: Maybe you have a chance for a hands-on in a shop (or order one and then send it back for free), now you know what to look out for and figure out if it's a problem for your handling style.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:08 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2013, 07:11:34 AM »

I don't think it's a show-stopper, the extender is excellent and good value otherwise - but as it seems other users have also issues with the Canon extender, it seems you have to be extra-careful with these. As for the Kenko release button: Maybe you have a chance for a hands-on in a shop (or order one and then send it back for free), now you know what to look out for and figure out if it's a problem for your handling style.

Thanks! I don't have the option to have a feel for it before I buy it as the only option is to order online without any recourse of returning it if I don't like it.

I've used the Canon extenders before and was comfortable with them but the main reason for leaning towards the Kenko was the cost - but now, as it is said, better be safe than sorry 
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
The grass is always greener when you crank up the saturation in photoshop

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »
I've used the Canon extenders before and was comfortable with them but the main reason for leaning towards the Kenko was the cost - but now, as it is said, better be safe than sorry

Ok, if it's "only" about cost I'd definitely buy the Canon even if for future/new body compatibility alone - I've got the Kenko because it fits all lenses (like 70-300L and 100L macro, esp. the latter is a stellar combination).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »