August 28, 2014, 09:17:32 AM

Author Topic: Replacement for Sigma 18-55  (Read 1031 times)

paul13walnut5

Replacement for Sigma 18-55
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
So I've lost two lenses this week.  My seldom used 600mm f8 Sigma mirror lens which has been auction sited off, and my most used 18-50 f2.8 DC EX macro.  Which has decided it wants to be a prime, instead of a zoom.

Visiting the repair shop tomorrow to see if they recommend reviving or giving it a viking burial (suggestions for a viking burial for a lens...)

Either way, I may be in the market for a replacement lens within this range.

The canon is too expensive, I wouldn't buy it on principle alone.

Had the 17-40, too slow for video, really needs to be a constant f2.8, as it's going to be mainly used for video.

The Sigma replacement has OS, which I don't need, and don't think is worth an extra £200 over what I paid for the old lens.

I really liked the images from the 18-55 IS kit lens (no, really I did, think they are great for the cash) but the variable slow aperture makes it a no-no.

So I've came up with a couple of ideas...

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR Di II. (not OS version) I've never owned a tamron. I held one yesterday, feels quite plasticky.  Reviews well enough within segment.  Not sure.  Would be most direct replacement for what I was using.

Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 SV.
Would need to be a used buy, but these lenses get a legendary reputation, based on the angenieux heritage of the design.  Would lose a little on the wide end, make make it up on the tele.  Quite tempted.  And already happily use Tokina.

Canon 35mm f2.0 (old)
Would be a reasonable midpoint between my other two video lenses.  Like the bright aperture. 

Canon 28 f2.8
  An old favourite of mine.  But they are selling for silly prices, more used now than you could have bought for new 3 months ago. I prevously owned this lens and loved it.. But the option of a faster aperture like the above or like the...

Samyang 35mm f1.4
Would be great for video, but above budget ever so slightly.

Thoughts based on experience?

P.S. It's for a cropped sensor.  And I don't have L money.

canon rumors FORUM

Replacement for Sigma 18-55
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement for Sigma 18-55
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
the new sigma C lens is supposed to be good but maybe more than you want to spend

personally i hate tamron due to bad experiences in the past

of your listed options if you are fine with manual focus and a prime the best lens there is the samyang by a country mile

I'm really happy with my samyang 8mm which i'm using on the EOS-M and its even better since i added the AF confirm chip. build quality on the samyang is REALLY good I cant believe these are as cheap as they are actually

maybe get the samyang and see what the new canon 18-55 kit lens reviews are like? you will be able to pick these up later for next to nothing I would think when people sell them from kits
APS-H Fanboy

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
Repair shop telling me £70+VAT for new barrell.

Can live with that, had it been much more I would have put it towards a new lens instead.

I've been very happy with the images from this lens, so if it can ride again then I'm happy.

Was quite looking forward to some fun ideas for a viking burial for a dead lens though...

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
Repair shop telling me £70+VAT for new barrell.

Can live with that, had it been much more I would have put it towards a new lens instead.

I've been very happy with the images from this lens, so if it can ride again then I'm happy.

Was quite looking forward to some fun ideas for a viking burial for a dead lens though...

If your lens wasn't going to be okay I would have suggested you turn it into a lens mug. Kind of like giving your pet to a taxidermist. Well, Execpt you can stuff your lens with coffee or ice cream :D
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »