October 20, 2014, 07:37:04 AM

Poll

What are you?

Professional (full-time)
Side job (part-time)
Enthusiast/Hobby

Author Topic: Why do you do Photography?  (Read 15111 times)

wako

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Why do you do Photography?
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:07 AM »
Im just wondering what the breakdown of canonrumors' is.

Im pretty sure I overspend on this hobby of mine which I still consider as a new hobby (2-3 years now?) but I once read online, "some people's hobbies are boats, some are cars, both are much more expensive then photography." I guess thats how I justify my almost 10k worth of gear that doesnt pay back a single cent.

Currently I have a 5D mk3, 24-70L mk1, 24-105L, 50L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, despite all that Im still thinking of picking up a 24-70L mk2. My girlfriend keeps stealing my mk1 =[

canon rumors FORUM

Why do you do Photography?
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:07 AM »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Why do you do Photography?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:56:14 AM »
That is a good enough reason to upgrade right there!

Im just wondering what the breakdown of canonrumors' is.

Im pretty sure I overspend on this hobby of mine which I still consider as a new hobby (2-3 years now?) but I once read online, "some people's hobbies are boats, some are cars, both are much more expensive then photography." I guess thats how I justify my almost 10k worth of gear that doesnt pay back a single cent.

Currently I have a 5D mk3, 24-70L mk1, 24-105L, 50L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, despite all that Im still thinking of picking up a 24-70L mk2. My girlfriend keeps stealing my mk1 =[
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:59:19 AM »
Ummmm....because I can't draw or paint very well?
 ;D

Seriously, for me this is a way to help remember nuances of places and people.  It forces me to slow down and look around me.  Even when I don't take a pic, I'll admire the view or the lighting or the architecture just a bit differently.  And, when I do have a "keeper" it adds to the experience.  My name is not Capo or Adams or Eisenstadt or Bourke-White.  I don't do this to earn a living or to even show others.  I do it for me.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to not work for a living........
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:45:02 AM »
Ummmm....because I can't draw or paint very well?
 ;D

Seriously, for me this is a way to help remember nuances of places and people.  It forces me to slow down and look around me.  Even when I don't take a pic, I'll admire the view or the lighting or the architecture just a bit differently.  And, when I do have a "keeper" it adds to the experience.  My name is not Capo or Adams or Eisenstadt or Bourke-White.  I don't do this to earn a living or to even show others.  I do it for me.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to not work for a living........

I think that pretty well says it, including the first line, Photography for me ensures I take the time to look around me, appreciate being alive, appreciate the world and all the truly wonderful things in it, it gets me off my arse & out the door, the Images are just part of it, I love the smells of the Bush in Africa, the Blue & White starkness of the Arctic/Antarctic, it's part of the Adventure of Travel of going somewhere for a reason, and the Images are about coming back with not just the memories.

Now Canon, where the hell is that 200-400f/4
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

The Bad Duck

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:50:39 AM »
Photography and my girlfriend (6 years now) seem to be the only things I never get tired of. I get so much energy and inspiration and it makes me want to push myself to be better and never dissapoint. It must be love.

lholmes549

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:51 AM »
I first enjoyed photography because I loved capturing the beauty of the world around me, from the very small details to the massive landscapes.
I still love and enjoy that but now I get more of a kick from capturing the special moments in my life and the lives of those around me. There's nothing quite like looking back on a shot and all the memories come flooding back as well as the emotions that come with it; plus, it's quite useful because I have an awful memory!
I also have to agree with one of the posts above, it gives me a reason to go out and have adventures, and capturing great shots is just a bonus! (if it happens :P)
6D, FTb, EOS 500  | 14mm f/2.8,  24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.8

lucuias

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Chan's Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:48:10 AM »
Because I love to photograph people.
Because I love to freeze the moment & expression.
Because I love art.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:48:10 AM »

baervan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:16 AM »
Sometimes I'm so amazed by the beauty of reality that I need to save it somehow. Sometimes I would like to start from reality and make something entirely new. Oh, and I'd love to be paid for that, but I'm not there yet.. so much more shooting and experimenting to do..

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:44:28 AM »
Why do you breathe.

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »
Photography is like a conversation with someone who lets me ask lots of questions. But I usually only get a good answer when I ask a good question.

baervan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:22 AM »
Photography is like a conversation with someone who lets me ask lots of questions. But I usually only get a good answer when I ask a good question.

:)

Leejo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Still relearning the same things...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:08:32 AM »
I love history, and hence also recording - sometimes snapshots, sometimes better.
And also because it's my only realistic artistic output as I can't draw, paint or write prose.
And I can aspire to create my own works for the walls at home.
Canon 7D

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »
Why do you breathe.
Absolutely!

And because it is there (to be photographed)
PS: George Mallory copied my thoughts in advance (even before I was born...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »

siegsAR

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 06:22:21 AM »
Because I love it, getting paid or not.

Its like a thing when you were a kid that you kind of outgrew as you age yet the hidden joy is still there,
just waiting to be discovered again, just waiting for the trigger..... that results to a click of a shutter. No joke! LOL.

You guys described it way better than I can. ;D
Canon EOS 70D; Canon EF-S 10-22mm USM, Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:52 AM »