July 24, 2014, 01:09:41 AM

Author Topic: PP for realistic look - is DPP the best?  (Read 4213 times)

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
PP for realistic look - is DPP the best?
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
I've been using DPP to process images for the last 4 years or so.  I find that OOC RAW files usually just need to have lens aberrations corrected and then be sharpened for a realistic look (I shoot in the "Faithful" scene mode).  For instance - this thread is what's spurring this post: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14101

However, when I import into LR, I find that MUCH MUCH MUCH more work has to be done to get the image to look normal/realistic.  In fact, when I open an image in LR, it looks absolutely terrible and is BEGGING for PP'ing.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, why do so many use LR?  Am I alone in either A) Wanting images that look like reality or B) Am I doing something wrong to cause images in LR to look terrible upon opening them or C) Something else?

In DPP, I pretty much always go through each picture with the quick preview option, rate the keepers, go back and crop them if necessary, then open the first picture in the series, correct aberrations, possibly use NR if I shot above 800 ISO, then sharpen, then close, copy recipe, and paste it to all other images.  My work flow for 100 pictures takes just a few minutes and with very few exceptions, they need almost no adjustments for white balance, contrast, saturation, etc., and a little more often, for brightness.  Then I batch process the keepers.

So again, what am I missing?  Is this just a case where this work flow works well for me and not many others?

Thanks for any insight, recommendations, feedback, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

PP for realistic look - is DPP the best?
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: PP for realistic look - is DPP the best?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
I don't know if I am capable of recommending a software that will work for you but I can tell you my personal experience ... over the past 10 years, I've used (or tried to use) several software to edit my photos such as Picasa, DPP, ACDSee, Paint.Net, GIMP, Corel, LR, CS Photoshop, Aperture & iPhoto ... but the reason I finally settled with LR & CS6 are:
1. Incredible amount of options to edit an image
2. Layers & Masks
3. Lots of plugins
4. Easy integration of plugins
4. Stress free image organization & management & Backup
5. ADOBE ... they are just AWESOME ... with the amount of resources through websites, videos, books, and instructors (both paid and free) it is easier for me to learn and grow as a photographer in manipulating my images the way I like.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:18:51 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
<snip>(I shoot in the "Faithful" scene mode). <snip>

I'm a little confused about this portion of your post. The 'mode' shouldn't have anything to do with what you view RAW files in, right? That just applies to jpegs I thought?

Or...possibly, since DPP is a Canon thing...perhaps in the previews it is showing the jpeg, processed with the 'Faithful Scene' mode..and you're looking at that and seeing a RAW file already adjusted, and when you import true RAW into Lightroom or other editors, you're only there seeing the true RAW image, that needs processing like the jpeg gets from the Failthful mode put on top of the true RAW image?

Can someone clear up my confusion on this?

Thanks,
cayenne

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
In LR, you can change to match the camera modes if you wish, including Faithful, ....

Everyone does see Reality differently, and I find that none of the software can reproduce a image colors and lighting and saturation exactly as I see them.  Thats why there are different competing tools, if they were identical we would only need one.

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:54:27 AM »
In LR, you can change to match the camera modes if you wish, including Faithful, ....

Everyone does see Reality differently, and I find that none of the software can reproduce a image colors and lighting and saturation exactly as I see them.  Thats why there are different competing tools, if they were identical we would only need one.
If DPP works that well for you, then you may not need LR if you are that dissatisfied with the results.  Perhaps you only need one...

I used only dpp for about a year and when I switched I found that loading into LR did seem to change the images a bit more than I felt dpp did.  I ended up taking many, many tutorials and webinars about LR and quickly learned that I could create my own presets for when photos are uploaded into the program. 

I've got several custom presets set up and I use them for different scenarios... for instance, if I shoot a wedding, I use a preset I call "Ken's wedding preset", it applys my settings to the raw images as they come in.  It's simple settings, for instance set to Faithful, Temp set to 5400, lens corrections  on, things like that.  No, all the images that come in don't come in exactly the way I want necessarily, but they are close for most of them and I make minor adjustments from there. 

I do the same thing for wildlife shots, portraits, landscapes, etc.  Try learning how to use the presets before uploading your images and you may find a whole new world of possibilities!  Who knows?  I just think since you've spent the money on it, you should try to exploit it to the best of your abilities... we can't all be wrong!  Or can we??  :o
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
A great deal depends on what you mean by, "realistic."

For many, it's something of an interpretative artistic abstraction of a particular style. If that's the case with you, your best bet is lots of experimentation and going with whatever works.

But if what you're really after is a colorimetric rendering of the scene, you're probably looking for Raw Photo Processor along with building your own ICC profiles. And prepare for something of a steep learning curve for the whole ICC thing....

Cheers,

b&

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »
You will need more work in LR because it does not apply any PP to your image unless instructed whereas,
 DPP applies the same base PP that would be applied in-camera had you chosen to shoot jpeg.

"Realistic" is somewhat an ambiguous term as it relies on one's memory of reality...at best an exercise in futility.

Best practice is to use a "gray card" to adjust colors to that "reality" and maybe adjust exposure somewhat and, oh yeah, maybe sharpen a tad.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
You will need more work in LR because it does not apply any PP to your image unless instructed whereas,
DPP applies the same base PP that would be applied in-camera had you chosen to shoot jpeg.

"Realistic" is somewhat an ambiguous term as it relies on one's memory of reality...at best an exercise in futility.

Best practice is to use a "gray card" to adjust colors to that "reality" and maybe adjust exposure somewhat and, oh yeah, maybe sharpen a tad.

Well yes and no.

DPP does apply the set picture style to the RAW preview. It also applies it to the RAW conversion unless the 'retain setting of each picture style' box is unchecked in preferences - tool palette. This option is really tucked away and hard to find.

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
I think y'all might have hit the nail on the head... I completely forgot that LR doesn't automatically apply the scene mode so it's an unprocessed RAW file whereas DPP shows it processed, even when using "faithful". I'll have another look and see what I can see :)
THANKS!!

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
I always use DPP. One of the advantages is that edit data is stored within the image files so no need for a database or extra data files that might get disassociated.

Recently I adopted Lightroom for post-processing of my Sony NEX raws because the Sony raw processor is dog-slow. I continue to use DPP for my Canon photo's though.
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »

I wouldn't call that "best practice," though it's certainly a step in the right direction.

"Best practice" involves, as I described, a colorimetric workflow that includes building an ICC profile. And that involves photographing not a gray card but a color target (the ColorChecker is useable but has too few patches for quality work). And you don't eyeball adjusting the colors and exposure of the entire image to a single known color sample, but rather let the color profile dynamically and intelligently adjust the entire image based upon its automated analysis of the color target.

Done right, and you can photograph a work of art and make a print of it such that the artist herself has to look long and hard before being able to tell the original from the copy.

Cheers,

b&

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 extended is a powerful combination but also look at the excellent Phase one capture one pro 7 and Photo Ninja....

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
if you want the best results try :

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

i am a LR user since v1 but this new RAW converter is great for important images.
best detail rendering i have seen so far.

only problem.. it´s a bit slow.

so i use it only for some images i print big and LR for the majority of my images.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »

Tanja

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
I always use DPP. One of the advantages is that edit data is stored within the image files so no need for a database or extra data files that might get disassociated.

just use DNG and your data is stored in the RAW file.

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
I use both LR and DPP. I'm actually satisfied with DPP's tools for PP although LR does have some nice things that DPP doesn't, like the graduated filter and better brushes. However, LR's catalog management system and keywording are invaluable when you're talking a large number of photos.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:39:52 PM by Jackson_Bill »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »