November 27, 2014, 03:07:59 PM

Author Topic: 6D: reversing the communicate with this battery setting?  (Read 1579 times)

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
6D: reversing the communicate with this battery setting?
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
I have a non-Canon battery as a backup for my 6D. It's about 6 weeks old and other than not properly communicating its charge level, has previously worked fine in the camera.

Last week while on a family vacation and changing batteries late at night- I accidently selected the (paraphrasing) "ignore this battery?" prompt. Poof. The camera no longer plays nice with that specific battery.

I've been through the manual and can't find a way to reverse this setting. Anyone know how to do this?
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

6D: reversing the communicate with this battery setting?
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 6D: reversing the communicate with this battery setting?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
*edit*
Sorry, possibly bad information the first time- could just be a charging issue...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:08:41 PM by wellfedCanuck »

yellowkamper

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:42:45 AM »
Lots of comments about this after upgrading to firmware 1.2.1.
I have it on one of my battery's  in a 5D3. was working ok until I put firmware 1.2.1 on it

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
I didn't do enough trouble-shooting to nail down that this was indeed what was happening and now the battery is gone. It may have been a very inconveniently-timed charge depletion and with no way to display the battery's current charge I did not eliminate that possibility.

The replacement, a Digipower, won't even charge in the Canon charger so I took the plunge and purchased the Digipower charger. (One charger travels with me, the other stays at home, I like redundancy.)  ;)  I don't have the intestinal fortitude/unlimited hobby funds to intentionally select the Cancel option on the replacement battery.

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
It makes me smile, all these rich people with expensive 5D3 cameras who don't want to pay for Canon batteries.

Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
It makes me smile, all these rich people with expensive 5D3 cameras who don't want to pay for Canon batteries.
^ Because the £30 difference between a perfectly good 3rd party battery and the canon SRP on 5 batteries is the difference between me getting my 40mm STM or not. And I have 7 batteries, so that's nearly a 50mm 1.4 I've saved up by not buying the canon batteries

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
Not fair, dude.

First of all -it's a 6D, not a 5D3. And, everything adds up: lenses, tripod, backpacks, camera, accessories- it's not an unlimited well. Further to that- mortgages on two properties, 3 teenage kids getting ready for university, and, (not trying to elicit sympathy, just explaining budget constraints)- other expensive hobbies.

If I can (intelligently) save ten bucks- I'll do it. I'd rather give that 10 bucks to the Heart & Stroke lady than to Canon, especially when there's a perception (rightly or wrongly) that Canon's attempting to extort their customers through proprietary technology.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »