December 18, 2014, 01:05:22 AM

Author Topic: dissapointed 6d 100mm f2 and 24mm 2.8 (non l)  (Read 16965 times)

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
dissapointed 6d 100mm f2 and 24mm 2.8 (non l)
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
i took my 6d on holiday with my 24mm 2.8 (non l) and my 100mm f2 (non l)  and the shots looked pretty good on the back of my camera. but after getting the raw files into light room, i am extremley disapointed with them, i expected a lot better shots than my old 400d , this is quite an investment for me, and to see the results so unimpressive is such a let down.

am i just being picky, for 2k worth of gear should i expect better than this? ive never been as dissapointed with a set of pictures than i am with these, it was my first proper foray with my new camera and although im no expert and i have taken some pleasing shots before with my old camera and the 50mm 1.8!

is it the camera or me?

canon rumors FORUM

dissapointed 6d 100mm f2 and 24mm 2.8 (non l)
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: dissapointed 6d 100mm f2 and 24mm 2.8 (non l)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
What don't you like about them?  Color, contrast, OOF?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »
i suppose it is the focus, i only used the centre point and recomposed, but so many the focus is off, i was in egypt so light wasnt a problem, and i was also trekking in uganda and the landscape shots just lack punch. the colours and contrast just seem a bit wrong. out of 1000 pictures and some extensive sharpening, there arnt that many im happy with!

id upload a few shots but frankly im embarresed. i feel a bit cheated out of money spent.  im gonna have to rent an expensive l lens and compare, but at the moment, im really disheartened.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
The larger sensor, even over a APS-C will give shallower depth of field which some users just don't like.  It also means AF accuracy is more critical, being off just a little affects the image noticibly.

At low ISO's, do not expect a noticeably better image from FF, that's not where the difference shows up.

I always recommend doing a AFMA on a new camera or lens.  Using the rear LCD to determine sharpness can be misleading unless you put the camera on a tripod and use magnification.

If you have a close subject, using one shot can cause focus errors just do to tiny movements of your body.

Its a complex subject, and in order to help you, you need to post a link to a full size image and supply your camera settings.  Otherwise, we assume that its a focus error just because it often is the issue.

hsbn

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
i suppose it is the focus, i only used the centre point and recomposed, but so many the focus is off, i was in egypt so light wasnt a problem, and i was also trekking in uganda and the landscape shots just lack punch. the colours and contrast just seem a bit wrong. out of 1000 pictures and some extensive sharpening, there arnt that many im happy with!

id upload a few shots but frankly im embarresed. i feel a bit cheated out of money spent.  im gonna have to rent an expensive l lens and compare, but at the moment, im really disheartened.
Focus and recompose is a sure way to make your photo miss focus when shooting wide open.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »

Sharpening out of focus shots isn't going to help anything.  I wouldn't feel cheated unless no one had ever get a good shot out of that camera/lens combination, but that's not the case.  It may just be that you haven't quite gotten used to the gear or something is configured wrong.  It's much more difficult to shoot wide open on an FF sensor vs your old 450d though, DOF can get very thin, that's something to be mindful of.  I'd shoot with it some more, try shooting with some better glass and see if you're happy with those results.  If you're not go back to the 450D if you're happier with the pictures from that.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
Welcome to the world of 20d/5dc/5d2 6D AF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »

Yes, my capture rate for getting an Egyptian pyramid in focus with my 6D is dismal.  The AF just can't seem to zero in on it.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »

Yes, my capture rate for getting an Egyptian pyramid in focus with my 6D is dismal.  The AF just can't seem to zero in on it.

I concur. Better off using the old focus ring + eyeball combo.  ::)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »

In most cases, the problem is behind the camera and not in front of it.

There's no way around it to pinpoint the cause, upload some raw .cr2 files somewhere, give us the link. If the focus is slightly off after focus & recompose that may be the 6d/5d2 af problem, but in any other case it'd be a combination of the mediocre af, wrong technique and weak postprocessing.

But don't be embarrassed: Canon makes its main profit from making people believe they can just buy being an experienced and good photographer...

Tanja

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 12:56:23 PM »
i took my 6d on holiday with my 24mm 2.8 (non l) and my 100mm f2 (non l)  and the shots looked pretty good on the back of my camera. but after getting the raw files into light room, i am extremley disapointed with them, i expected a lot better shots than my old 400d , this is quite an investment for me, and to see the results so unimpressive is such a let down.

am i just being picky, for 2k worth of gear should i expect better than this? ive never been as dissapointed with a set of pictures than i am with these, it was my first proper foray with my new camera and although im no expert and i have taken some pleasing shots before with my old camera and the 50mm 1.8!

is it the camera or me?

it´s you... trust me.

Tanja

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »

ROTFL.....

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
heres an example, consider i was using a tripod, i think the picture, though i like th ecomposition , the results form the lens and camera are uninspring,    uneditied raw lightroom jpeg export , f10 iso 100  24mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
Just to note: you mentioned earlier that "the colours and contrast just seem a bit wrong", and here you post a jpeg from an unedit RAW.  You realize that unedited RAW images are suppose to be flat, right?

As for the softness, that could come from many variables.  It's not though, despite RLPhoto's beliefs, due to the 6D's inferior of autofocus ability.  Any digital camera on the market could get that shot using automatic point detection.  Most anybody could get it using the old focus ring + eyeball combo.

jimjamesjimmy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
so you shouldnt take a photo at f10 for a landscape shot? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »