October 22, 2014, 12:31:39 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3  (Read 33348 times)

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:58 AM »
Does anyone know if this kind of shooting could be possible on the 6D in the future?
By the way, fantastic job (again) to the ML team!  :D

They said they're working on other cameras as well, and there is a limited build for the 5DII, and appears to be working well, albeit not as good as the 5D3. The problem though here is with the cards, SDs don't go as fast as CF and even then you need the fasted available CF cards. So the SD only 6D may not work well. Though, lower resolution with the fasted SD cards could work, not sure, much is in development with so many changes coming so quick~

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:58 AM »

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »
1. make a folder and plop rawtodng.exe and the RAW video file into it
2. drag the RAW video file onto rawtodng.exe, wait a while
3. move the RAW video file and the rawtodng.exe to some other folder

Can I do these first three steps in Windows, and then perform the remaining steps on a Mac?

Presumably someone will develop a Mac version of rawtodng.exe in the next few months.

I'm still stunned by the possibilities here.

I'll do you one better. Here is the raw2dng app compiled for mac. Same thing applies. Just drag your raw file and drop onto this app(after unzipping app of course) and it will create a folder wherever your raw file is with DNG's

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01ms48zavggcjzu/raw2dng.app.zip

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) ;D 8) :) ;) 8) :) ;D 8)

You're more than welcome.
iPhone 4s camera

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:37:49 AM »
Slighly not safe for work, but hilarious with regard to the ML breakthrough...

Hitler finds out about ML breakthrough!!
Hitler finds out about Magic Lantern RAW video for Canon DSLRs

:o

That made me start the day with a laugh :D

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
Does anyone know if this kind of shooting could be possible on the 6D in the future?

They said they're working on other cameras as well, and there is a limited build for the 5DII, and appears to be working well, albeit not as good as the 5D3. The problem though here is with the cards, SDs don't go as fast as CF and even then you need the fasted available CF cards. So the SD only 6D may not work well. Though, lower resolution with the fasted SD cards could work, not sure, much is in development with so many changes coming so quick~

Thanks for the respond! Makes me regret a bit buying the 6D a few weeks ago  :(
Do you think with HDMI out, the writing speed could be fast enough? That might be a solution to get pass the SDs lower writing speed.
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »

Thanks for the respond! Makes me regret a bit buying the 6D a few weeks ago  :(
Do you think with HDMI out, the writing speed could be fast enough? That might be a solution to get pass the SDs lower writing speed.

I think so far, they're ruling out HDMI. But then again, they do seem to pull of miracles.

I did hear them talk at one time of USB, but not sure if USB2 would be fast enough.

There has even been talk of doing some kind of CF card adapter to cable, but that won't help with the SD card situation.

Right now, the best speed to capture size is the extra speedy CF cards, and the cheap ones aren't working too well, especially the one that starts with a "K" and is 128GB. The 32and 64 of that seem to do ok at times, but not the cheap 128GB one.

At least, that's what I've been reading.

C

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 11:10:37 PM »
USB 2.0 maxes out at 40-45MB/s

At 1920x1080, I'm getting 60-90MB/s

Don't think it will happen unfortunately.

The most frustrating part of shooting this video right now is that raw2dng app. It will not recognize clips bigger than 2GB in the OSX version, which really limits what you can do!

Or maybe it just means I'm a sloppy shooter ;)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »

The most frustrating part of shooting this video right now is that raw2dng app. It will not recognize clips bigger than 2GB in the OSX version, which really limits what you can do!

Have you tried running Win7 in a VM with VMWare or Parallels, and doing the raw2dmg that way?

That might help...?

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
I was just thinking that you could probably batch the .DNG files not just in AE/ACR but in PS/ACR with with full PS power and various other plug-ins and have video frames processed with full on stills photography quality tools and all sorts of fancy, fancy processing and super advanced sharperning, NR, coloring tools.

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »

Have you tried running Win7 in a VM with VMWare or Parallels, and doing the raw2dmg that way?

That might help...?

C

I thought about that...but, alas, I am too lazy.  It should be fixed shortly...hopefully!

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
I was just thinking that you could probably batch the .DNG files not just in AE/ACR but in PS/ACR with with full PS power and various other plug-ins and have video frames processed with full on stills photography quality tools and all sorts of fancy, fancy processing and super advanced sharperning, NR, coloring tools.

Ding, ding, ding!

I'm mainly a stills photographer but I’ve been starting to get into timelapse and video over the past year.

You are EXACTLY right.  This is HUGE for people that are mainly stills photographers.  Just as you describe, you can process this raw video EXACTLY like you can stils.  Exactly.  This is driving the video people nuts, but it’s huge for me.  The workflow is a bit complex but not as hard and time consuming as you’d expect.  I’ve made one crappy comparison video (will post later).  Here is my workflow:

1)     Shoot video, staying under 2GB (it tells you in real-time how much space it’s hogging)

2)     Convert .RAW file into .dng files using raw2dng.  TIME: about a minute

3)     Import .dng files into Lightroom (this is  where my workflow is a bit different than most…) TIME: about a minute

4)     Process .dng files just like you would a raw from a camera…because that is exactly what they are. (I convert my Canon .CR2 files into .dng files anyway) TIME: how many images have you edited in LR?

5)     Export .dng files as full-res jpegs TIME: a couple minutes (I guess if you were really anal about quality but not about HDD space you could convert to .tif's)

6)     Import full-res jpegs into Quicktime 7 Pro as an image sequence (exact same way you make a time-lapse) TIME: one second

7)     Export image sequence as Apple ProRes HQ 422 .mov’s (if you don’t’ want to do any video editing you can just export these as h264-compressed .mov’s or .mp4’s instead) TIME: a couple seconds for ProRes, a couple minutes for h264

8)     Import Apple ProRes 422 .mov’s into Final Cut Pro X TIME: instant

9)     Edit… TIME: see LR comment, I suck at video editing

10   Export to whatever format you want TIME: a couple minutes

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
Warning: Komputerbay 128GB cards are too slow. They won't work for this. I hear their smaller sized cards are faster though.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

4)     Process .dng files just like you would a raw from a camera…because that is exactly what they are. (I convert my Canon .CR2 files into .dng files anyway) TIME: how many images have you edited in LR?

How long does it take for LR to apply the edit done to the initial .dng to the rest of the batch?

AE seems to be pretty slow at this (like 45 minutes for 49 second long clip or in that ballparl).

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

How long does it take for LR to apply the edit done to the initial .dng to the rest of the batch?

AE seems to be pretty slow at this (like 45 minutes for 49 second long clip or in that ballparl).

In LR the edits are applied super fast... it's the export of the edited RAWs to JPG that takes the time.
In my experience the more local adjustments one does (burning, dodging, gradients etc.) the longer the rendering of JPGs. As long as you have a reasonably powerful machine with adequate RAM and fast HDs it doesn't take too long per image.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
Warning: Komputerbay 128GB cards are too slow. They won't work for this. I hear their smaller sized cards are faster though.

I'd kind of think any CF card that was "cheap" would be suspect for any real high speed recording like this.

I'm thinking going with 64GB quality cards, and having 2-3 three of them on hand..one in the computer unloading while the other two are in rotation.

I don't think you'd need a full 128GB at a time with this...how often for video do you record more than a few mintues at a time?

C

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

Ding, ding, ding!

I'm mainly a stills photographer but I’ve been starting to get into timelapse and video over the past year.

You are EXACTLY right.  This is HUGE for people that are mainly stills photographers.  Just as you describe, you can process this raw video EXACTLY like you can stils.  Exactly.  This is driving the video people nuts, but it’s huge for me.  The workflow is a bit complex but not as hard and time consuming as you’d expect.  I’ve made one crappy comparison video (will post later).  Here is my workflow:

1)     Shoot video, staying under 2GB (it tells you in real-time how much space it’s hogging)

2)     Convert .RAW file into .dng files using raw2dng.  TIME: about a minute

3)     Import .dng files into Lightroom (this is  where my workflow is a bit different than most…) TIME: about a minute

5)     Export .dng files as full-res jpegs TIME: a couple minutes (I guess if you were really anal about quality but not about HDD space you could convert to .tif's)

6)     Import full-res jpegs into Quicktime 7 Pro as an image sequence (exact same way you make a time-lapse) TIME: one second

7)     Export image sequence as Apple ProRes HQ 422 .mov’s (if you don’t’ want to do any video editing you can just export these as h264-compressed .mov’s or .mp4’s instead) TIME: a couple seconds for ProRes, a couple minutes for h264

8)     Import Apple ProRes 422 .mov’s into Final Cut Pro X TIME: instant

9)     Edit… TIME: see LR comment, I suck at video editing

10   Export to whatever format you want TIME: a couple minutes

Canyon do this with PNG or TIFF? In theory You can get better quality if you output the final movie at full resolution. Although...if you're outputting in a lossy format anyway, it might not make a difference.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »