Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

(1/3) > >>

Hi all,

I read some early reviews of the MK III that suggested the image quality is better with IPB.  I'm shooting a TV series in 1080P @ 24fps.  The NBC station requires me to provide them with digital masters in Pro-Res 422 1080i.  Any thoughts as to whether I would benefit from shooting IPB or should I stick with All-I?

Thanks so much,

There is no perceptible difference between the two encodings that I can detect. Not on moving or still or simple or complex images. The only difference I can find is ALL-I wastes a lot of card space.

What you want to do for broadcast use is get an Atomos Ninja 2 and the new Canon 1.2.1 Clean HDMI firmware for the 5D3. The Ninja 2 will record the HDMI output direct to ProRes in either 1080i or 1080p formats, up to 60i or 30p frame rates. You will have the best quality that way and the files will come out of the Ninja ready to submit and be cut.

--- Quote from: mabou2 on May 16, 2013, 07:42:50 PM ---The NBC station requires me to provide them with digital masters in Pro-Res 422 1080i.
--- End quote ---

Forgive me if I have misunderstood, but I did not think it was possible to get 422 out of a 5D Mark III or a 1D X?

The 1.2.1 clean HDMI out is 8 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 at 1080i60. If you are shooting 24p the Ninja 2 will do the 3:2 pull down for you.

Yeah I would go with an external recorder if you are trying to get 4:2:2 and need prores files.  The only advantage ALL-I has over IPB is that it runs more smoothly in your NLE, it's more "edit-friendly," but so is prores.  Aside from that the files are way, way bigger, but there is no discernible difference in image quality, I've tested and tested and wanted ALL-I to be better so badly, but it just isn't.  I've shot hundreds of vids in the last year in IPB and haven't had any issues at all.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version