October 01, 2014, 04:38:46 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 LCD brightness: Auto or manual?  (Read 1230 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
5D3 LCD brightness: Auto or manual?
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »
Greetings fellow 5D3 users. What are you impressions of the auto LCD brightness function? Can it effectively compensate for large changes in ambient light, or is it gimmicky feature?

For the past year, I've been trying to figure out the characteristics of the light meter, so I've left the LCD brightness in manual. However, since a typical shoot for me starts in bright sunlight, and doesn't conclude until it's pitch black outside, I find myself fiddling with the screen brightness as the ambient light changes. I image most wedding photogs can probably relate.

That said, I'm contemplating giving the Auto screen brightness feature a go again, but am hesitant to experiment with this on a commissioned gig.

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 LCD brightness: Auto or manual?
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 LCD brightness: Auto or manual?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
I happen to like it, and yes imho it does compensate effectively. LCD brightness is determined completely apart from the metering system -- the brightness sensor is located on the back of the camera body, lower left of the LCD next to the three little holes called the "speaker"  (see "light sensor" diagram on page 20 of the manual).

you'll want to experiment to see if the feature benefits you or not, but certainly you can use it without fear of messing with exposure metering :D .  I set mine up so that in bright sunlight it dials up the brightest possible screen.  you just have to be careful not to cover the sensor with your finger when looking at the screen.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
I tried manual, but it has to be changed if the light level changes substantially.  Finally, I went back to auto and that works better for me.

I'd do which ever works for you, there is no right or wrong involved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »